follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-04-2020, 12:33 AM   #15
Setgo

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ Crystal Black Silica
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
So I think that's normal from assembly. It happens. What if i told you there are GM cars out there that have a piece of plastic plug chilling in your oil pan? Lol its because during assembly, the plug is pushed out and it just sit there. I forget where the location of the plug is, but its just a place holder to prevent FOD. It is actually a good think the oil pick up is there; it did its job. Yes, it is preventing flow slightly, but its not crazy in my opinion.

From factory in an unopened engine, there is actually a crap ton of RTV. You can actually see this in my photo when I fixed my timing cover leak. Its so much that you could consider that it could have clogged the oil pickup long ago. If the assembly line is too quick and the RTV is not cured properly, or there are too many loose ends, it can be picked up by the hot oil. To be honest too, the amount of RTV around the cover is actually a generous amount. The only parts where it needs to be thinner is where the oil passages are close to RTV bead.
Attached Images

1234eher (07-04-2020), DarkPira7e (07-04-2020), soundman98 (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 12:41 AM   #16
Setgo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234eher View Post
Is it worth dropping off the oil pan? Could this be an explanation of all the people whom has never had the engine apart experience rod knock?
Is it worth it? I mean that's up to you. But mind you, to put the oil pan back, you're going to use RTV again anyway and if you put too much do not allow it to cure properly, you'll have the same problem. Also, almost all cars use RTV as a "gasket" for oil pans now, so its not just the BRZ that this could happen to.

In regards to rod knock, could be. I think a majority of rod knock that we see documented are individuals that are redlining the crap out of the car, boosting it beyond the FA20's capabilities, or just straight beating on it which would make the rods bend. Rod knock is mainly the integrity of the rod itself. If anything, it would cause a piston to seize up from lack of oil to the oil ring. But if that were to happen, you would know, like immediately. With a hole in your block lol.
1234eher (07-04-2020), soundman98 (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 12:57 AM   #17
Setgo

Garage
Also, SO MUCH CRINGE AND A TERRIBLE WAY OF REMOVING THE OIL PAN in the damn video, what the actual F*. And then using the screwdriver to pry the pan off? LAWD HAVE MERCY! Not the right way of doing it.
DarkPira7e (07-04-2020), soundman98 (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 01:05 AM   #18
1234eher

Drives: 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setgo View Post
Is it worth it? I mean that's up to you. But mind you, to put the oil pan back, you're going to use RTV again anyway and if you put too much do not allow it to cure properly, you'll have the same problem. Also, almost all cars use RTV as a "gasket" for oil pans now, so its not just the BRZ that this could happen to.

In regards to rod knock, could be. I think a majority of rod knock that we see documented are individuals that are redlining the crap out of the car, boosting it beyond the FA20's capabilities, or just straight beating on it which would make the rods bend. Rod knock is mainly the integrity of the rod itself. If anything, it would cause a piston to seize up from lack of oil to the oil ring. But if that were to happen, you would know, like immediately. With a hole in your block lol.
Fair enough, my main concern is that if those little bits of RTV gets through the mesh, could it clog the passages, or do damage to the oil pump? I am hoping that best case the oil filter catches this debris and we pretend that nothing ever happened.
1234eher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:05 AM   #19
1234eher

Quote:
Also, SO MUCH CRINGE AND A TERRIBLE WAY OF REMOVING THE OIL PAN in the damn video, what the actual F*. And then using the screwdriver to pry the pan off? LAWD HAVE MERCY! Not the right way of doing it.
Great information tho, thanks for that
Old 07-04-2020, 01:07 AM   #20
1234eher

Quote:
HAHA, i guess that tech really didnt like the RTV
Old 07-04-2020, 01:26 AM   #21
Setgo

Garage
Quote:
Fair enough, my main concern is that if those little bits of RTV gets through the mesh, could it clog the passages, or do damage to the oil pump? I am hoping that best case the oil filter catches this debris and we pretend that nothing ever happened.
Right, I mean we have to assume that they considered the mesh design for the oil pickup to allow a certain tolerance of flow and debris. Anything past that should be caught up in the oil filter, etc. If those long skinny pieces would get through, we can assume that they will be within the tolerance allowed and would break, etc. I guess that is also why it is important to have a good oil filter.

I mean those are all possibilities with the RTV. But mind you, this could happen to literally any car. Some spots to put RTV on in the FA20 are: timing cover, valve cover, cam covers and where the case halves mate. In almost all modern cars today use RTV as part of the assembly so hopefully that gives you a little peace of mind. Lol but i can really freak you up if i told you that you would find metal in your oil during your initial oil changes lol. And those stuck chunks in the screen would probably stay there for eternity lol.

ALSO IMPORTANT NOTE:
The engineers are not dumb. Look at the design of the pick up tube. It would sit in a bath of oil and suck up the oil through the mesh screen, into the engine. Anything sucked up in the tube will hit the mesh right? Now consider when the car is turned off. The running oil going through the screen, going into the oil pan, and settling at the bottom. And then you do your oil change and then what? The RTV comes out with the oil because of the design of the oil pick up. *mic drop*
1234eher (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 01:49 AM   #22
1234eher

Quote:
Right, I mean we have to assume that they considered the mesh design for the oil pickup to allow a certain tolerance of flow and debris. Anything past that should be caught up in the oil filter, etc. If those long skinny pieces would get through, we can assume that they will be within the tolerance allowed and would break, etc. I guess that is also why it is important to have a good oil filter.

I mean those are all possibilities with the RTV. But mind you, this could happen to literally any car. Some spots to put RTV on in the FA20 are: timing cover, valve cover, cam covers and where the case halves mate. In almost all modern cars today use RTV as part of the assembly so hopefully that gives you a little peace of mind. Lol but i can really freak you up if i told you that you would find metal in your oil during your initial oil changes lol. And those stuck chunks in the screen would probably stay there for eternity lol.

ALSO IMPORTANT NOTE:
The engineers are not dumb. Look at the design of the pick up tube. It would sit in a bath of oil and suck up the oil through the mesh screen, into the engine. Anything sucked up in the tube will hit the mesh right? Now consider when the car is turned off. The running oil going through the screen, going into the oil pan, and settling at the bottom. And then you do your oil change and then what? The RTV comes out with the oil because of the design of the oil pick up. *mic drop*
Ideally yes, it would all come out. But that video does scare me abit, since there was quite abit of rtv in there and the car already was way past break in. Your answer is quite assuring. This is my first car with a boxer and I'm used to more...... Let's say.... Dumber engines?

What's your tips for preventative maintenance and prolonging engine life? I do my oil changes every 5K-7K km.

In all, I'm guessing this isn't something to be too worried about?
Old 07-04-2020, 01:50 AM   #23
1234eher

I just don't want to lose oil pressure because of some stupid loose rtv and spin a bearing
Old 07-04-2020, 02:00 AM   #24
Setgo

Garage
Quote:
Ideally yes, it would all come out. But that video does scare me abit, since there was quite abit of rtv in there and the car already was way past break in. Your answer is quite assuring. This is my first car with a boxer and I'm used to more...... Let's say.... Dumber engines?

What's your tips for preventative maintenance and prolonging engine life? I do my oil changes every 5K-7K km.

I always suggest getting a catch can or air oil separator. Unfortunately though, this will void your warranty because it modifies emissions, which is the PCV. But by adding an AOS or catch can, you prevent the blow-by oil (which is released through the pcv and into the intake tube) from flowing from your intake tube to the combustion chamber and causing misfire. It doesn't happen as much in our cars, more in turbo but it helps regardless.

If you haven't already, replace your cam plate because the OE plate is just a plate with RTV. That will leak oil right onto your overpipe.

Overall, do what your doing, and replace as you approach the maintenance schedules. And lastly, there are many mods out there, not all mods benefit the platform. Some are too race car, and some are the right amount for street cars, but it all comes down to opinion. Do your research beforehand and understand the FA20 before just slapping something on. Just because its made, doesn't mean it should be installed.( I'M TALKING TO YOU LIGHTWEIGHT CRANK PULLEYS GANG)
1234eher (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 02:11 AM   #25
1234eher

Quote:
I always suggest getting a catch can or air oil separator. Unfortunately though, this will void your warranty because it modifies emissions, which is the PCV. But by adding an AOS or catch can, you prevent the blow-by oil (which is released through the pcv and into the intake tube) from flowing from your intake tube to the combustion chamber and causing misfire. It doesn't happen as much in our cars, more in turbo but it helps regardless.

If you haven't already, replace your cam plate because the OE plate is just a plate with RTV. That will leak oil right onto your overpipe.

Overall, do what your doing, and replace as you approach the maintenance schedules. And lastly, there are many mods out there, not all mods benefit the platform. Some are too race car, and some are the right amount for street cars, but it all comes down to opinion. Do your research beforehand and understand the FA20 before just slapping something on. Just because its made, doesn't mean it should be installed.( I'M TALKING TO YOU LIGHTWEIGHT CRANK PULLEYS GANG)
Makes good sense, I might just be over stressing about this. My motor is bone stock, just K&N filter and TRD exhaust.

What oil do you use? I rotate between Royal purple and Mobil1
Old 07-04-2020, 02:16 AM   #26
1234eher

Also, what do you think of engine flushes? Needed? Good? Or harmful?

Toyota Canada provides these but I'm almost certain it's not made by Toyota
Old 07-04-2020, 02:40 AM   #27
Setgo

Garage
Quote:
Makes good sense, I might just be over stressing about this. My motor is bone stock, just K&N filter and TRD exhaust.

What oil do you use? I rotate between Royal purple and Mobil1
There are some people on this forum that are oil gods. Me personally, I use that Thanos blood; Royal purple 75w90, with Lucas pure synthetic oil stabilizer. So, i do 4 quarts blood, 1 quart Lucas. I also use Lucas oil fuel treatment when I fill up my gas sometimes to help clean the valves. I add it first, and then fill the gas up to mix it better.

That toyota stuff, i mean if they do it and something goes wrong, its on them. but i dont think it matters if you are doing routine maintenance.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:21 AM   #28
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:

the best method is to send some oil into blackstone labs for analysis every few oil changes. more than likely, you're changing too early, but they test for everything, so while they can't see all premature failures, if something is wearing faster than it should, they can usually see it in the test results.

Tags
maintanence, oil change, oil change engine damage, sealant