follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 10-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #155
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Out of interest, where do you get the base tune from? I've been looking through the install guide and the FA20 site and it mentions to download it from the site but not actually where.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:09 PM   #156
NotSoJDM

Drives: '13 BRZ | '04 E55
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Out of interest, where do you get the base tune from? I've been looking through the install guide and the FA20 site and it mentions to download it from the site but not actually where.

The kit is supplied with a binder containing installation instructions. The first page of that binder provides an email address to email requesting a tune file given information from ECUTEK dongle and your cal ID.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NotSoJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NotSoJDM For This Useful Post:
Kodename47 (10-05-2015), menikmati (09-14-2016)
Old 10-05-2015, 02:27 PM   #157
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86 View Post
The warrenty is for the CARB tune right? So in this case tuning has been done already and is conservative. If something bad goes down with the kit it is covered and if the engine goes you can still get covered under the manufacturer's warrenty, just put it to stock before towing it to them. I mean if it wasnt your installation error or kit fail then it was already an engine issue, right?
I dunno about your car, but mine has anti-tamper paint ALL OVER.
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:52 PM   #158
Uplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro22 View Post
Thanks! That's a good point about spacing. For some reason in my head I had a feeling that shifting anything forward would cause headaches with bumper fitment. I knew the method I used kept my boundary conditions the same.

Maybe someone could try the spacer method to make life easier for everyone.

Does anyone know if the Beatrush bumper replacement would work? I know it's positioned to allow the plastic upper air diffuser to snap into place in 4 holes at the factory location but is significantly less substantial in overall size. That might give the clearance needed as well as shed a few pounds up front.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:54 PM   #159
NotSoJDM

Garage
Edelbrock E-force Owner's thread and FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
Does anyone know if the Beatrush bumper replacement would work? I know it's positioned to allow the plastic upper air diffuser to snap into place in 4 holes at the factory location but is significantly less substantial in overall size. That might give the clearance needed as well as shed a few pounds up front.

Edit: never mind it doesn't look like it would work. That gold bar looks like it sits further back than the factory crash beam so you'd have no room for the LTR in this kit.

You'd be better off with something like the Drift Armor bar for added clearance.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #160
Uplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoJDM View Post
Edit: never mind it doesn't look like it would work. That gold bar looks like it sits further back than the factory crash beam so you'd have no room for the LTR in this kit.

You'd be better off with something like the Drift Armor bar for added clearance.

Thanks JDM. Trying to piece together everything ahead of time so the bumper cover only has to come off once. (Famous last words, right? )
Old 10-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #161
Uplink

So something kinda funny nobody has brought up...
The Cosworth kit requires a different thermostat as well as full header back exhaust to make only a couple more hp than this kit. Looking over the E-force kit documentation, there is no thermostat and the published dyno results were on stock exhaust components.

Is the difference in kits the efficiency of the E-force blower, the tuning, or both?

I run Edelbrock components on both my Vettes and have been extremely happy with them. They are made in the USA and they stand behind their products. Warranty or not (my car would be subject to less than 2yr/24k due to age and mileage), the kit seems like a steal. All in they are roughly $4k cheaper than the Cosworth solution for similar gains.

My only real complaint is that I would like to see a canned tune option for those of us able to use 93 octane. Then again, if you run the 91 tune with 93, you're fairly certain it'll run like a top even in hot conditions.

It would also be nice to see them pair up a separate OC option for the kit with components from their Russell branch. Also quality components I've used often.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uplink For This Useful Post:
Edelbrock LLC (10-05-2015), NotSoJDM (10-06-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #162
NotSoJDM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks JDM. Trying to piece together everything ahead of time so the bumper cover only has to come off once. (Famous last words, right? )

Since I replaced my front bumper (thanks to a semi tire blowout) this kit was the first time I've had to have it off since. The only reason I can think of to pull it again would be for an oil cooler, so you may want to add that to your list.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:01 PM   #163
Uplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoJDM View Post
Since I replaced my front bumper (thanks to a semi tire blowout) this kit was the first time I've had to have it off since. The only reason I can think of to pull it again would be for an oil cooler, so you may want to add that to your list.

It was on the list already... along with front brake cooling ducts.

Oh, do you know if the stock snorkle is ever used again? Instructions don't mention reinstalling it or the diffuser shield with the new airbox. Unfortunately, about 3 months ago I installed the HKS snorkel, a K&N filter, and Perrin silicone intake tube. It's a shame to think about over $400 in upgrade parts not being reused.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:32 PM   #164
NotSoJDM

Garage
Quote:
It was on the list already... along with front brake cooling ducts.

Oh, do you know if the stock snorkle is ever used again? Instructions don't mention reinstalling it or the diffuser shield with the new airbox. Unfortunately, about 3 months ago I installed the HKS snorkel, a K&N filter, and Perrin silicone intake tube. It's a shame to think about over $400 in upgrade parts not being reused.

I did not reuse the stock snorkel. The new airbox tapers outward into a larger opening than stock.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #165
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Do you know if the stock snorkle is ever used again?
It doesn't look like it should be used.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #166
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
So something kinda funny nobody has brought up...
The Cosworth kit requires a different thermostat as well as full header back exhaust to make only a couple more hp than this kit. Looking over the E-force kit documentation, there is no thermostat and the published dyno results were on stock exhaust components.

Is the difference in kits the efficiency of the E-force blower, the tuning, or both?

I run Edelbrock components on both my Vettes and have been extremely happy with them. They are made in the USA and they stand behind their products. Warranty or not (my car would be subject to less than 2yr/24k due to age and mileage), the kit seems like a steal. All in they are roughly $4k cheaper than the Cosworth solution for similar gains.
I've thought about this as well, but never mentioned it since I look at both as different "systems" with different goals/requirements: one with CARB and the other with max performance in mind. I agree, if you take a look at its individual components, the E-force seems like a steal!

Quote:
My only real complaint is that I would like to see a canned tune option for those of us able to use 93 octane. Then again, if you run the 91 tune with 93, you're fairly certain it'll run like a top even in hot conditions.

It would also be nice to see them pair up a separate OC option for the kit with components from their Russell branch. Also quality components I've used often.
Sure, the CARB tune is probably optimized for 91, but I'm sure it will work just fine, maybe even better on 93, just like how our cars do stock.

I've asked them about having an oil cooler offering (knowing about Russell performance), and they said it is on the cards right now, they just need to prove to the higher-ups that this is a viable business plan. I would just voice your "want" for an OC as much as you can and hope for the best.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #167
Uplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
It doesn't look like it should be used.
The other reason I brought that up is, the guys at Perrin said they were noticing intake airflow issues on the road without the diffuser panel that fits under the snorkel so they put it back.
According to the instructions, this kit does not replace that diffuser either. Curious if they didn't do airflow tests both ways or if the vacuum created by the blower overcomes any possible turbulance.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #168
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Edelbrock E-force Owner's thread and FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

I'm pretty sure we can take out the windshield washer fluid reservoir to help with some weight. That thing is a heavy giant all the way up front. 😛

I'm no owner but likely to be one one day..
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote