follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
Pat.Thornton

Old 01-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
Neekowahhhh
Enthusiast

Drives: Crystal Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clutch pedal loud squeak

Hey guys,

I'm sure this issue has probably been had by another person or two on here, so I wanted to ask around and see if anyone else can confirm.

I live in So-Cal, so the weather here is fairly warm. Most mornings lately its been about 70-75 degrees. The noise isn't present at start-up but is present after the car has been running for some time. It happens on occasion, as far as I can remember, and is heard from inside the cabin, as well as outside.

At first I thought it was the peddle spring, but when I examined the issue further, the sound could be heard outside the car as well.. as if it's coming from the engine bay. When I apply pressure to the peddle, it squeaks quite heavily, not like a fully blown out throttle bearing, but it does sound like some sort of spring or spring like motion coming from the transmission itself. I'm hoping to take it in this week, so we will see what happens, but I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys.

Update: Youtube link added of the sound coming from my car
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUTZj7VJB0I"]2013 Subaru BRZ Clutch squeak - YouTube[/ame]

Here is another video from a different person taken at a different angle. This person seems to be having the same issue.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW94DINwTGU"]Clutch pedal noise from my BRZ - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by Neekowahhhh; 01-30-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Neekowahhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Neekowahhhh For This Useful Post:
btune (02-23-2017)
Old 01-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Mongo

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
I have noticed this as well. I cant say Ive heard it this winter though. possibly something to do with ambient temperature?
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Sometimes pushing in my clutch feels "crunchy", not as fluid during warmup. I'm sure its with the motor shaking a bit more until the RPM's settle, and due cold temperatures. However I do notice a click when I push in the clutch.
Turbo95eg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
Mustang88_357mag

Drives: 2013 FRS Raven color
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mine also has a squeak but it's only 1st 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear
Mustang88_357mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:12 AM   #5
tbertran

Drives: Subaru BRZ (6027xx) Premium Manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Same issue here.
Adjusting the clutch pedal height reduced the noise a little but now I have a "sticky" pedal issue so I'm picking my poison...
FT86SpeedFactory catted UEL Header / GReddy EVO3 Catback / Cosworth Drop-in air filter / Shifteck short throw shifter / Kartboy pulley / Rear bumper diffuser / Perrin shorty antenna / Raceseng Slammer knob / Carsmo armrest / Clear side markers / 10" CustomSubEnclosure|Rockford R500X1D|Rockford P3D4-10 / Perrin Inlet Hose / GrimmSpeed front strut bar / Valentine V1 with BlendMount / All LED Inside
tbertran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I have this noise also. It started about a month ago. I have 17k miles and I picked the car up in June 2012.

Like you mentioned, it doesn't make the noise at first. So, I was hesitating to bring the car in because I thought they would check on it only for a few minutes and say they don't hear any noise.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sigh-on-Rice For This Useful Post:
nickmerronesucks (05-11-2016)
Old 01-29-2014, 08:35 PM   #7
DesertFrs

Drives: Scion FRS 10 Series AVO Turbo
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neekowahhhh View Post
Hey guys,

I'm sure this issue has probably been had by another person or two on here, so I wanted to ask around and see if anyone else can confirm.

I live in So-Cal, so the weather here is fairly warm. Most mornings lately its been about 70-75 degrees. The noise isn't present at start-up but is present after the car has been running for some time. It happens on occasion, as far as I can remember, and is heard from inside the cabin, as well as outside.

At first I thought it was the peddle spring, but when I examined the issue further, the sound could be heard outside the car as well.. as if it's coming from the engine bay. When I apply pressure to the peddle, it squeaks quite heavily, not like a fully blown out throttle bearing, but it does sound like some sort of spring or spring like motion coming from the transmission itself. I'm hoping to take it in this week, so we will see what happens, but I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
I have noticed this as well. I cant say Ive heard it this winter though. possibly something to do with ambient temperature?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo95eg6 View Post
Sometimes pushing in my clutch feels "crunchy", not as fluid during warmup. I'm sure its with the motor shaking a bit more until the RPM's settle, and due cold temperatures. However I do notice a click when I push in the clutch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang88_357mag View Post
Mine also has a squeak but it's only 1st 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbertran View Post
Same issue here.
Adjusting the clutch pedal height reduced the noise a little but now I have a "sticky" pedal issue so I'm picking my poison...

From reading everyone's issue and it appearing to be similar. Their is a possibility that you Throwout Bearing is going out. Their was a thread started a few months back where someone melted their throwout bearing. (Old Thread Attached) http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52176

I've been having similar issues maybe a little bit worse but, was reduced after I adjusted the pedal (maybe to late). I will be taking the car over to @DAMotorsports within the next few weeks to have the transmission removed and inspected. While the Transmission is removed, @DAMotorsports will be installing a lightweight flywheel and Organic Clutch from @AVOturboworld. As I imagine I will be replacing the Throwout Bearing as I suspect the bearing being the issue. I will keep everyone posted and I will let you know!

DesertFRS
DesertFrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:31 PM   #8
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,388 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Rather than my bearing going out, it was a dry shift fork. I took mine in for warranty and had it lubricated. It took about 30m and the sound went away.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hawaiian For This Useful Post:
Guff (08-16-2014), Guillaume (04-02-2015), Keenercarguy (04-30-2016), MasonL1997 (03-07-2016), sato (06-07-2022)
Old 01-29-2014, 10:10 PM   #9
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Does it almost sound like someone barely tapping their horn? This might have happened to me a few times today. I thought someone was honking at me. Not a full honk but like barely tapping. And then I started thinking maybe my clutch pedal made that sound. It was a really weird loud squeak sound. Not squeak like a mouse but deeper like a rusty gate opening or something. And it was very brief like a fraction of a second.
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:01 PM   #10
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,388 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post
Does it almost sound like someone barely tapping their horn? This might have happened to me a few times today. I thought someone was honking at me. Not a full honk but like barely tapping. And then I started thinking maybe my clutch pedal made that sound. It was a really weird loud squeak sound. Not squeak like a mouse but deeper like a rusty gate opening or something. And it was very brief like a fraction of a second.
The sound as best i could describe it is similar to those squeaky childrens sandals.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:05 AM   #11
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The throw out bearing in every car I have owned has made noise and depended highly on humidity and temperatures. My Civic almost always did it unless it was cold. Press and release. S2000 same but mostly release. Exige always did it when humid when releasing pedal. FRS does it usually only when hot for me, very pronounced in garage etc etc.

Bottom line unless it is causing an issue with clutch engagement or is getting very bad its one of those live with it items.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #12
Neekowahhhh
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post

This could be the start of it, although, mine does it every single time I use my clutch after its warmed up(could notice it 25 min into my 45 min drive to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
The sound as best i could describe it is similar to those squeaky childrens sandals.

To add to this, mine sounds like an unlubricated chain link fence gate being opened slowly or moved back and forth. I have a video of it, ill post the link once I upload it to my youtube account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
The throw out bearing in every car I have owned has made noise and depended highly on humidity and temperatures. My Civic almost always did it unless it was cold. Press and release. S2000 same but mostly release. Exige always did it when humid when releasing pedal. FRS does it usually only when hot for me, very pronounced in garage etc etc.

Bottom line unless it is causing an issue with clutch engagement or is getting very bad its one of those live with it items.
The reason I brought it to the attention was because if these clutches are faulty or deemed unsafe and subaru/toyota-scion doesn't cover them because they are clutches or clutch parts, but enough people have the issue, I only see it fit to have a class action lawsuit to cover anyone that had to pay anything out of pocket. My friend(who is on here) had his clutch completely disintegrate with the car being under 5k miles.

Sure, they could argue that he raced it etc.. but the clutch pad itself looked to be completely fresh, like you would expect from a car with less than 5k miles on it.

Last edited by Neekowahhhh; 01-30-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Neekowahhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #13
Neekowahhhh
Enthusiast

Alright, so I brought my car in and I am currently at Irvine Subaru. The sound has been located by the techs, and I was told by the service advisor that they will have to order parts and that it will be covered under warranty at no cost to me(as expected.)

I'm really happy with the advisor(Sebastian) who was really helpful. He said they'll have to keep my car for a few days, which is cool with me. I don't mind, since my car will getting fixed.

I'll keep you guys updated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neekowahhhh For This Useful Post:
DesertFrs (02-02-2014), SuperDave (08-19-2016)
Old 02-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #14
BRZNutt

Drives: 2014 DGM Subaru Impreza 2.0i 5 Door
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neekowahhhh View Post
Alright, so I brought my car in and I am currently at Irvine Subaru. The sound has been located by the techs, and I was told by the service advisor that they will have to order parts and that it will be covered under warranty at no cost to me(as expected.)

I'm really happy with the advisor(Sebastian) who was really helpful. He said they'll have to keep my car for a few days, which is cool with me. I don't mind, since my car will getting fixed.

I'll keep you guys updated.
Did you get your car back yet?