follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-24-2020, 08:35 PM   #323
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
Well I’ve never used VA insurance without the VA medical. I’m not sure you can unless you have specialty care that the VA can’t handle - a rarity.

I don’t even think I’ve interacted with them. All of your insurance info is on file because it’s all taken care of in house.
I see it all the time. Often I call the VA to see if they have beds for a transfer or to get an authorization to allow admission here. Back in the day, 1 out of 10 got transferred, and then a year or more in Trump’s term that changed. It could have been because of him or not. I assumed he wanted, or put someone in power who wanted, to try to control costs better by not paying other hospitals. It honestly could have been something that was before him related or unrelated to the ACA. It is so hard to know. Now 9 out of 10 patients are transferred to the VA. Although with COVID that number has fluctuated. Regardless, VA insurance often pays other hospitals to admit their patients when their hospitals are full. It is sometimes tied to a service that is outside of their care, but not necessarily.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:19 PM   #324
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Drives: 2013 FRS LS1
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I see it all the time. Often I call the VA to see if they have beds for a transfer or to get an authorization to allow admission here. Back in the day, 1 out of 10 got transferred, and then a year or more in Trump’s term that changed. It could have been because of him or not. I assumed he wanted, or put someone in power who wanted, to try to control costs better by not paying other hospitals. It honestly could have been something that was before him related or unrelated to the ACA. It is so hard to know. Now 9 out of 10 patients are transferred to the VA. Although with COVID that number has fluctuated. Regardless, VA insurance often pays other hospitals to admit their patients when their hospitals are full. It is sometimes tied to a service that is outside of their care, but not necessarily.
Yea that happens when they can’t handle it, the active duty side does the same thing when their systems are so overloaded that the medical readiness is suffering or it causes increases in non-deployable troops. It happens but guess who gets stuck with the bill when they try to go outside the network without any justification? They do and 100% of the bill at that.
ACT Clutches - APEXi - Buddy Club - Carbing - DBA - Diode Dynamics - Fidanza - HKS - ICT Performance - Project Kics - RPM Transmissions - SEIBON - Sikky Manufacturing - SPC - Tick Performance - TK Style - VERUS - VOLK - Whiteline
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:20 PM   #325
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I'm not enrolled but one of my adult sons uses AHA. It's a high deductible plan that includes dental. The plan closely matches the one I have through work in terms of benefits, although his out of pocket is higher as are his deductibles, it is administered by United Healthcare (under a different brand name), and is cheaper than what I get through my employer. He uses the same Doctors my wife and I use. He gets a minor subsidy because of his income level.

Anyone can go to healthcare.gov and look through the available plans if you are really interested in them.
Typically plans on the exchange are slightly higher for what you get. Mostly this is because the group is a higher risk group than employees from certain employers. The insurance on the plans can’t exclude anyone, and they can’t jack up the price based on someone’s pre-existing conditions like before ACA. What they might learn over time is that there are less people who are high risk on the exchange than they thought because those people are likely on medicaid or medical, and there may be more affluent/low-risk people on the exchange than they thought. These could be contract workers or people that own their own business (no employees). That could be why the prices on California’s exchange went up less than 1%.
Dadhawk (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 10:01 PM   #326
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Quote:
I'm not enrolled but one of my adult sons uses AHA. It's a high deductible plan that includes dental. The plan closely matches the one I have through work in terms of benefits, although his out of pocket is higher as are his deductibles, it is administered by United Healthcare (under a different brand name), and is cheaper than what I get through my employer. He uses the same Doctors my wife and I use. He gets a minor subsidy because of his income level.

Anyone can go to healthcare.gov and look through the available plans if you are really interested in them.
$781/mo with a $7600 deductible was my cheapest estimate. No dental. Didn’t see anything ab vision. 50% coverage for hospital, X-ray, specialty, labs and oddly prescriptions drugs.

Hard pass.
ACT Clutches - APEXi - Buddy Club - Carbing - DBA - Diode Dynamics - Fidanza - HKS - ICT Performance - Project Kics - RPM Transmissions - SEIBON - Sikky Manufacturing - SPC - Tick Performance - TK Style - VERUS - VOLK - Whiteline
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomm For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-25-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 12:18 AM   #327
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Yea that happens when they can’t handle it, the active duty side does the same thing when their systems are so overloaded that the medical readiness is suffering or it causes increases in non-deployable troops. It happens but guess who gets stuck with the bill when they try to go outside the network without any justification? They do and 100% of the bill at that.
Yeah dealing with medical stuff while active duty is a huge PITA. You’re pretty much stuck with whatever is available on post, unless you can somehow manage to get some type of referral to somebody in network in the nearby area.

Being retired is much easier lol
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
Tomm (12-25-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 07:29 AM   #328
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Yeah dealing with medical stuff while active duty is a huge PITA. You’re pretty much stuck with whatever is available on post, unless you can somehow manage to get some type of referral to somebody in network in the nearby area.

Being retired is much easier lol
“Oh you broke your arm, Motrin and water - walk it off.”

Oddly every single one of my close buddies that broke a bone on AD had to have them reset multiple times (2-3).

Lol you survived. Congrats to you sir! I was done after 2nd contract.

Last edited by Tomm; 12-25-2020 at 10:26 AM.
TylerLieberman (12-25-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 11:25 AM   #329
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
“Oh you broke your arm, Motrin and water - walk it off.”

Oddly every single one of my close buddies that broke a bone on AD had to have them reset multiple times (2-3).

Lol you survived. Congrats to you sir! I was done after 2nd contract.
I legit had a doctor try to prescribe me mucinex like 5min after telling him I was allergic to Mucinex; more specifically guaifensen.... the active ingredient in Mucinex

The “drink water and take ibuprofen” stereotype is hilarious though because it’s so accurate.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
Tomm (12-25-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 11:49 AM   #330
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Apparently this is the future:

https://www.metatube.com/en/videos/3...ass-Car/embed/

(Yes, this is a joke, but it's funny nonetheless)

Last edited by AnalogMan; 12-25-2020 at 12:38 PM.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (12-31-2020), Dadhawk (12-25-2020), soundman98 (12-25-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 02:06 PM   #331
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Didn’t see anything ab vision..
I've never seen a "vision insurance" program that wasn't really just a discount program off list price. It's always seemed like a waste to me.

In general though, health insurance really isn't insurance, its a prepaid medical plan with a maximum payout.

Basically, it's like if when you bought auto insurance it included all the standard maintenance and mechanical repairs for free along with your catastrophic loss (accident) insurance.

What we have is more like a cost sharing program.

Here's a good article that explains it better than I did.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tomm (12-25-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #332
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Quote:
I've never seen a "vision insurance" program that wasn't really just a discount program off list price. It's always seemed like a waste to me.

In general though, health insurance really isn't insurance, its a prepaid medical plan with a maximum payout.

Basically, it's like if when you bought auto insurance it included all the standard maintenance and mechanical repairs for free along with your catastrophic loss (accident) insurance.

What we have is more like a cost sharing program.

Here's a good article that explains it better than I did.
I’ve had BCBSs blue vision for a few years, they cover most everything even some of the cost of new frames/lenses every year. I don’t really consider this particular plan a discount program because I have never had to pay anything outside of the premium. But I get what you’re saying. Maybe I just have the Cadillac plan.
Dadhawk (12-26-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 02:49 PM   #333
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I’m aware of you feel about, I just want to know how someone who has actually enrolled in ACA feels ab their service.
I have my insurance via Covered California (which essentially is ACA in California).

Comparing it to my previous Kaiser plan from my previous employer, it is identical premium-wise.

The only thing different is any type of subsidies you might get from Covered CA, which is based on your income.

Quote:
$781/mo with a $7600 deductible was my cheapest estimate. No dental. Didn’t see anything ab vision. 50% coverage for hospital, X-ray, specialty, labs and oddly prescriptions drugs.

Hard pass.
Much like car insurance, health insurance varies wildly depending on the type of plan (HMO/PPO) as well as where you live.

I pay ~$300/month for my Kaiser HMO. But I also have never needed prescription drugs in my life, so I went with a Bronze plan instead of something higher.

Covered CA offered me dental + vision (via VSP) for an additional ~$20/mo. The vision part essentially gives me a free checkup a year + about $100 credit towards contacts or frames.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-26-2020), Irace86.2.0 (12-26-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 07:55 PM   #334
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
I have my insurance via Covered California (which essentially is ACA in California).

Comparing it to my previous Kaiser plan from my previous employer, it is identical premium-wise.

The only thing different is any type of subsidies you might get from Covered CA, which is based on your income.

Much like car insurance, health insurance varies wildly depending on the type of plan (HMO/PPO) as well as where you live.

I pay ~$300/month for my Kaiser HMO. But I also have never needed prescription drugs in my life, so I went with a Bronze plan instead of something higher.

Covered CA offered me dental + vision (via VSP) for an additional ~$20/mo. The vision part essentially gives me a free checkup a year + about $100 credit towards contacts or frames.
Thanks for chiming in.

Is this a self only plan? I agree, there are a lot of variables. My question is more geared towards how your coverage and service have been but it kind of seems like you don’t need it. lol

The concept of basing insurance rates off of capability to pay is asinine to me. We can talk ab how insurance companies come up with premiums but it’s pretty widely known. So it’s progressive rates for the same service. That is another hard pass for me. To me, that’s like charging someone more for a gallon of milk because they earn more.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #335
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
My question is more geared towards how your coverage and service have been but it kind of seems like you don’t need it. lol
Who said I don't need it? Just because I have no medical condition doesn't mean I don't need health insurance.

It's like saying "I've never been in a wreck in the last 20 years, so I don't need car insurance"... which I have not had in 20 years on a public road. But that isn't the point of insurance.

Insurance is there to cover risk. Whether or not I use the insurance coverage is a moot point. To view health insurance as different from any other type of insurance is missing the big picture.

Every person in their life will need health coverage at some point, whether they want to or not. Most of the coverage needed is at birth (when it's under your parents or whomever took care of you until you were an adult) or when you are dying/dead (whether it is from an illness or natural death). To assume "one can pay for their own" is ignoring the above two situations. Am I supposed to go back in time and pay my parents back for the coverage (or lack of) when I was a child, when I was born?

Quote:
The concept of basing insurance rates off of capability to pay is asinine to me. We can talk ab how insurance companies come up with premiums but it’s pretty widely known. So it’s progressive rates for the same service. That is another hard pass for me. To me, that’s like charging someone more for a gallon of milk because they earn more.
But that's not a valid comparison.

The fundamental concept of health insurance being subsidized is just a general concept of the fact that a healthy population costs less to maintain than an unhealthy one. So if you were to provide more coverage (overall) then you'd pay less over a period of 30-60+ years.

A lot of this gets into very specific types of economic modeling for socio-economical conditions that are too difficult for a few discussion posts here, but at some point it needs to be emphasized that a healthcare subsidy is NOT the same as someone paying more for a good or service.

The premium I pay ($300/month) is me, unmarried 41 year old male in California on the Kaiser Bronze plan. The only difference before/after ACA is that California offers a subsidy up to ~$300 depending on my level of income, and it goes away entirely once my income is above a certain threshold.

That's all. What I pay for my healthcare does not change, what the state subsidizes changes. So it's like a gallon of milk is the same for everyone, except those that are poor can pay with food stamps from the state.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-27-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 08:17 PM   #336
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Who said I don't need it? Just because I have no medical condition doesn't mean I don't need health insurance.

It's like saying "I've never been in a wreck in the last 20 years, so I don't need car insurance"... which I have not had in 20 years on a public road. But that isn't the point of insurance.

Insurance is there to cover risk. Whether or not I use the insurance coverage is a moot point. To view health insurance as different from any other type of insurance is missing the big picture.

Every person in their life will need health coverage at some point, whether they want to or not. Most of the coverage needed is at birth (when it's under your parents or whomever took care of you until you were an adult) or when you are dying/dead (whether it is from an illness or natural death). To assume "one can pay for their own" is ignoring the above two situations. Am I supposed to go back in time and pay my parents back for the coverage (or lack of) when I was a child, when I was born?
Pump the brakes. I wasn’t being accusatory. I was speaking figuratively and lightly suggested you were healthy. I never suggested that you should not have health insurance.

I didn’t even challenge anything you said in your post. I just said I disagreed with progressive insurance rates based on capability. Which you have no control over. So why the hostility?

Last edited by Tomm; 12-26-2020 at 08:59 PM.