follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-10-2015, 06:09 PM   #1
N757QQ

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Few questions I could not google-fu answers for on rearview camera...

Hey all,

I am a new owner of a 2015 SWP BRZ Limited. I have no mods done to it yet, as my Jeep is in the final stages of it's build (rock crawler), and I have a track bike I am working on at the same time (08CBR600RR).

For now, I am looking to knock out a reverse camera this weekend, if I can get the parts in. I am confused here because I have read in some places that if you use the settings menu, in the system page, there is a reverse, and parking brake setting, and when you pull the brake, and enter reverse, if it is noted on the head unit, then the car is wired to accept a rear view camera already. Mine showed both when I shifted into reverse as well as when I pulled the parking brake.

So, a few questions:

Does that mean (wishful thinking) that there is a connector lying in wait just inside the lip where the camera would mount for me to just plug in a camera?

If not, fine, but a few questions for some previous installers, as I am not the best electronics guy anymore after years of Jeeps.

I read that the head unit has a +6v output which works for most / all rydeen duos. I looked at model# RYD ZH07150B which states it requires 9-16v.[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rydeen-RYD-ZH07150B-NightVision-Technology/dp/B00GQTYG3Q"]http://www.amazon.com/Rydeen-RYD-ZH07150B-NightVision-Technology/dp/B00GQTYG3Q[/ame]

Is that just a suggestion, and I can use a 6v source, or should I get a harness that can run a +12v source.

Lastly, I am looking at getting one of SVXdc's harnesses. My only question is in regard to which harness would be best for my application. I think I understood the reading on his site to read that if the parking brake is not indicated, the HU would not show a video (rear camera).

If so, I assume I need the parking brake bypass, but am not 100%.

Thanks for any help, and sorry if this is a continuously repeated thread, I did search, and found lots of information, both google and here, but nothing 2015 and directly answering these questions.

N
N757QQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #2
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
There is no wiring going from headunit to the trunk for the camera - you'll need to take care of that yourself.

6V may work for that camera, I've been successful powering cameras that required 9-16 with the 6 volt, but if it doesn't work, you can get a relay that triggers off the 6 volt and pulls 12 from somewhere else to feed the camera. Alternatively, you can just run the camera to any 12 volt accessory line but the camera will remain on while the car is on.

I have one of SVXdc's harnesses, but I don't remember which one it was - sorry. I think I had already bypassed the ebrake on my own, so I might not have needed that version.

Finally, the reason you didn't find anything specific to the '15 is because nothing has changed since the '13 with regard to the head unit wiring. The solution is universal for all model years to date.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #3
N757QQ

Thanks for the reply and the information on the consistency through the model years.

N
Old 02-10-2015, 10:42 PM   #4
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Camry...item2a321221a8

There you go. That's what I got, comes with harness, drill bit, wiring... see my DIY writeup for instructions. You can either tap a power lead, or use the included lead to tap into the connector.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:02 AM   #5
zastoke

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Just got mine and installed it today. http://m.ebay.com/itm/271684162258?nav=SEARCH

Little cheaper. Super fast shipping. Got in in about 4 days. 2013 brz limited. First camera install ever. Just read people's posts on these forums.

Was pretty easy to install, running the cable neatly is a bit time consuming.

All parts are included. You just need a 10mm wrench a drill (comes with the correct bit) and some electrical tape/zip ties.

Don't forget to spice or solder like I did the two dangling cables on the wire marked parking lines so you don't have the double lines(noted in the included camera install paperwork lol!

zastoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:04 AM   #6
WesleyG

Drives: 2014 Satin White Pearl GTS auto
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zastoke View Post
Just got mine and installed it today. http://m.ebay.com/itm/271684162258?nav=SEARCH

Little cheaper. Super fast shipping. Got in in about 4 days. 2013 brz limited. First camera install ever. Just read people's posts on these forums.

Was pretty easy to install, running the cable neatly is a bit time consuming.

All parts are included. You just need a 10mm wrench a drill (comes with the correct bit) and some electrical tape/zip ties.

Don't forget to spice or solder like I did the two dangling cables on the wire marked parking lines so you don't have the double lines(noted in the included camera install paperwork lol!

Apologies for the thread Hijack, But dude what add on is that on your spoiler?
Old 02-11-2015, 01:10 AM   #7
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
STi gurney flap. ~$80
hmong337 (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 01:13 AM   #8
zastoke

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyG View Post
Apologies for the thread Hijack, But dude what add on is that on your spoiler?
No worries. It's a gurney flap.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65023
zastoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:19 AM   #9
WesleyG

Drives: 2014 Satin White Pearl GTS auto
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks Gents, I managed to find it on Japanparts as well, Going to see what it would cost from a local dealer vs Importing it
Old 02-11-2015, 10:50 PM   #10
N757QQ

Thanks for the replies, all.

aznatama, how is your chosen camera with viewing at night? I know reverse lights should illuminate it no problems, but just making sure. I live in a very rural area, and commute to the city, so I will occasionally be in some really dark areas & actually need to see behind me.

Thanks for all of the input.

N
Old 02-12-2015, 01:25 AM   #11
lightdir

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 6MT
i just helped a friend install in a 2013 BRZ limited not sure how much the radios have changed from model year to model year, but a couple of time savers.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/bcus3-536.html
we used this harness it plugs right in to the back of the radio.

**** IMPORTANT NOTE****
The camera must be powered up before the radio powers up otherwise it will not see the camera at all. We took care of this by powering it off of a ACC source on the amp harness in the truck.

All you have to do is run the RCA from the camera to the harness on the radio and you are done. super easy.

This was for a 2013 BRZ Limited so take it for what it is worth.
I figured i would try and help save some time and headaches.
lightdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:25 PM   #12
N757QQ

lightdir,

I really appreciate it. From what I gather, nothing has really changed as far as hard parts go. I am sure there are software changes, but...

Thank you very much for those heads up, that will certainly come in handy.

N
Old 03-01-2015, 01:29 AM   #13
SVXdc
Radio wiring harness guru

Drives: 1996 SVX L AWD
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N757QQ View Post
I am confused here because I have read in some places that if you use the settings menu, in the system page, there is a reverse, and parking brake setting, and when you pull the brake, and enter reverse, if it is noted on the head unit, then the car is wired to accept a rear view camera already.
To date, none of the BRZ years/models are pre-wired for a camera (unless the car came with an OEM camera from the factory, in which case you wouldn't need to add anything).

The diagnostics screen simply shows you the status of those signals. I tell people to check that because some BRZ/FR-S/GT86 models do not have the reverse gear signal connected to the OEM HU. In those cars, you would have to add that wire for the HU's rear camera function to work (in addition to adding a rear camera).

As far as I know, all of the BRZ, FR-S, and GT86 OEM HUs with a full color display have rear camera capability. That just means the HU has a proprietary socket on the back where you can connect a camera.

People mention the parking brake signal because it happens to connect to the HU via that same socket. But some car models don't have that signal connected to the HU (so they don't have that harness/plug at all).

Quote:
I read that the head unit has a +6v output which works for most / all rydeen duos. I looked at model# RYD ZH07150B which states it requires 9-16v. [Amazon link]

Is that just a suggestion, and I can use a 6v source, or should I get a harness that can run a +12v source.
Many camera manufacturers say theirs need 12V (or 9V, or some other number). But most cameras have their own voltage converter that reduces the input down to 3.3V. Many (including the Rydeen DUO and MINy models) will work from 6V with no problem.

There are some (particularly "no name" or lesser-known Chinese models) that need just a little more than 6V to work properly. All you can do is test your camera from 6V, and compare the picture to how it looks from 12V.

For a camera that works from 6V, you won't need a relay or extra harnesses/wiring to tap 12V. Simply power the camera from the HU's 6V pin. Simpler, and much less clutter.

Quote:
Lastly, I am looking at getting one of SVXdc's harnesses. My only question is in regard to which harness would be best for my application. I think I understood the reading on his site to read that if the parking brake is not indicated, the HU would not show a video (rear camera).
The parking brake signal has absolutely no impact on the rear camera function. Did you see this guide?

The HU uses combinations of the parking brake signal, Vehicle Speed Signal, and GPS to block these things:
  • Display of movie video (from a USB memory stick)
  • Aux video (on HUs with that capability)
  • Certain menus/functions (e.g., most of the setup menu)

As I explain on the above guide, I offer the parking brake bypass version of my harness mainly as a lower-cost option (and also to reduce the amount of clutter behind your HU).

The only difference you'll see after grounding the HU's parking brake input is that you'll be able to view USB or aux video when your car stops rolling even without engaging the hand brake lever. If that's a problem, choose the 'pass-thru' version of my harness. See the above 'camera operation' guide link for more info.