follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2021, 02:42 AM   #29
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Putting my experience in, I have a 130k mile car that I've been more slowly refreshing. A few years ago I started getting so much drivetrain lash that it was difficult to shift from 1st-2nd, the transmission would bash into the engine, so I put in the "positive shift kit" and it did a lot of good for the car.

Then after a year or so I started noticing stuff like my rear-end taking longer to settle after corners or changing lanes at speed, and also felt like my driveshaft or subframe twisted a bit under hard acceleration and having one tire grip more than the other. I procrastinated on it, but finally this week took the "positive traction kit" and did a partial install, first installed the subframe bushings. This made a huge difference in driveability, though there are some disadvantages because the car is so much more stiff and perhaps darty. But the car shifts better and is much louder and sportier sounding because of the chassis resonance. However I began to have major lash issues in the rear, clacking and banging without the added support there.

So today I installed the diff carrier bushings and rear outrigging bushing, the last parts in the "positive traction kit.". This solved a lot of my low speed lash noises. But now the car has much more NVH, I probably need to double check my install but its got a lot of drone, buzz and rattle in my drivetrain just driving around normally 35-55 mph, and I think there's probably something else needed addressing to make the car operate best. I think my clutch, which is a replacement exedy and about 70,000 miles on it, may be making a bunch of rattle, or maybe the bearing. Or maybe its the driveshaft protesting. It does not like it when I lift throttle in a lower gear.

On the positive side. I am enjoying how easy it is to drive with the new mounts. Shifting is so much better. 4th gear shift much improved weight to it. The car drives more "efficiently" since there's less wasted energy taking off from a light. And at higher speed it feels much better, its louder, more responsive, and more fun. But there were some downsides so I might like to look into alternative parts that might be less aggressive. Getting an STi transmission mount sounds like a good idea, if it really is gentler than the whiteline insert? Or maybe I should look into pressing in fresh bushings rather than use the inserts? Please let me know what you think, or if I should look into addressing other mounts.

Last edited by radroach; 06-23-2021 at 02:58 AM.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (06-23-2021)

Tags
bushing, engine, mounts, transmission, vibration