follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #1
ZX88
Senior Member
 
ZX88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Drives: 22 BRZ
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 116
Thanks: 3
Thanked 103 Times in 42 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ZX88's 2017 Kouki 86 -- TRD x Modellista X Work X BC Racing

Calling this project round 2.





So for the last 3 years I have owned a 2013 frs. About a month ago its life was cut short thanks to being hit at a stop light on my way to work one day. The guy hit the rear so bad that the car ended up having frame damage was was eventually totaled by my insurance.

Old Project Specs (Zenki 86)

Drivetrain:
  • M-tech Shifter Springs
  • Kart Boy Shifter - Rattle Spec!
  • Reseng Cam Plate
  • K&N Drop in filter
  • ISR Cat back

Interior
  • Autowear.jp leather seat covers
  • Custom Shift knob adapter to fit 1.25 pitch knobs
  • Broadway Mirror
  • Yashio Factory Shift Knob

Exterior
  • JDM TRD Front Lip
  • JDM TRD Side Skirts
  • TRD Front Bumper Canards
  • TRD Fender Wings
  • Toyota Fog Lights
  • Modellista Rear Spats
  • TOMS Taillights
  • Clear Turn Signals

Footwerk
  • Work Emotion Xd9 17x9.5+28 all around
  • 225/45/17 Pilot Sports
  • BC Racing BR Coilovers
  • SPL Camber Bolts
  • Project Kics 10mm apdapter spacer

It was pretty.





RIP:




Luckily I was able to salvage most of my cool parts and for the most part the TRD items were not too damage. I ended up parting out most of the TRD kit and planned on reusing a couple of items on the new car. Mainly the Wing, Fender Wings, Coilovers and wheels.

Last edited by ZX88; 09-10-2017 at 06:04 PM.
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZX88 For This Useful Post:
kai_gt86 (10-08-2017), saltywetman (05-05-2020)
Old 09-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
ZX88
Senior Member
 
ZX88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Drives: 22 BRZ
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 116
Thanks: 3
Thanked 103 Times in 42 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New Beginings

It only took me a couple of weeks to find a replacement.

2017 Toyota 86 in Halo - 6psd

Paid close to MSRP for the base model and ended up getting some extra goodies.

-LED Foglights
-Optional Wing
-Borla Exhaust
-Trunk Mat









First impressions

Car felt great not any faster just more refined. All the stuff reviewers are saying about the improved ride quality and gearing is true.

Overall its really nice to drive in stock form. I even think the Shifter linkage is more smooth, a noticeable difference from my '13 even when it only had 29k on the odometer.

Slight Differences from the 1st gen model:

Originally I planned on re-using my modellista skirts. However, the rear bumper on the new cars is slightly different. Its actually a bit shorter and curves in more at the body line. So for those that are looking to adapt 1st gen rear spats. Well, bad news they wont fit.



A week after I bought the car I sold my old TRD kit to friend and immediately ordered the new kit from 86worx.

It was a bit more expensive than the dealership mostly due to shipping but I didnt want to wait 10+ weeks for the kit to arrive from the dealer. 86Worx was able to get the kit to me in about 3 weeks. So if you guys are interested in some cool overseas parts they are pretty good (also ordered my old seat covers from them).

Installing the kit is pretty straight forward. The side skirts install the same as the 1st gen versions using many of the same clips. The front bumper was also pretty straight forward but requires you to drill some mounting holds in the bottom of the bumper.

Side Skirts




Bottom Mounting Brackets


Clips


Mounted


Front Bumper

Basically you need to drill 4 small holes into the bottom of the front bumper and slip some screw fasteners into the holes. The kit comes with some pretty idiot proof templates. So 4 bottom screws and then 4 on each side at the fender well.





Its a snug fit but goes on pretty easy


OEM fitment is alway king


Modellista Rear Spats

These install also pretty much the same as the 1st gen. You are required to drill 2 mounting holes on each side of the rear bumper (another rear bumper different you might not expect).

The kit comes with templates so just use those, mock them up and drill the holes.





The finished result













NEXT UP coilovers and Wheels.
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZX88 For This Useful Post:
ERA (12-24-2017), SuperTom (01-01-2020)
Old 09-07-2017, 09:24 PM   #3
mr_squirrel
Member
 
mr_squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Drives: 2017 86 Halo
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 63
Thanks: 28
Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX88 View Post
It only took me a couple of weeks to find a replacement.

2017 Toyota 86 in Halo - 6psd

Paid close to MSRP for the base model and ended up getting some extra goodies.

-LED Foglights
-Optional Wing
-Borla Exhaust
-Trunk Mat









First impressions

Car felt great not any faster just more refined. All the stuff reviewers are saying about the improved ride quality and gearing is true.

Overall its really nice to drive in stock form. I even think the Shifter linkage is more smooth, a noticeable difference from my '13 even when it only had 29k on the odometer.

Slight Differences from the 1st gen model:

Originally I planned on re-using my modellista skirts. However, the rear bumper on the new cars is slightly different. Its actually a bit shorter and curves in more at the body line. So for those that are looking to adapt 1st gen rear spats. Well, bad news they wont fit.



A week after I bought the car I sold my old TRD kit to friend and immediately ordered the new kit from 86worx.

It was a bit more expensive than the dealership mostly due to shipping but I didnt want to wait 10+ weeks for the kit to arrive from the dealer. 86Worx was able to get the kit to me in about 3 weeks. So if you guys are interested in some cool overseas parts they are pretty good (also ordered my old seat covers from them).

Installing the kit is pretty straight forward. The side skirts install the same as the 1st gen versions using many of the same clips. The front bumper was also pretty straight forward but requires you to drill some mounting holds in the bottom of the bumper.

Side Skirts




Bottom Mounting Brackets


Clips


Mounted


Front Bumper

Basically you need to drill 4 small holes into the bottom of the front bumper and slip some screw fasteners into the holes. The kit comes with some pretty idiot proof templates. So 4 bottom screws and then 4 on each side at the fender well.





Its a snug fit but goes on pretty easy


OEM fitment is alway king


Modellista Rear Spats

These install also pretty much the same as the 1st gen. You are required to drill 2 mounting holes on each side of the rear bumper (another rear bumper different you might not expect).

The kit comes with templates so just use those, mock them up and drill the holes.





The finished result













NEXT UP coilovers and Wheels.
I was contemplating this EXACT set up with my 86 (we have the same color too). Couldn't pull the trigger, so I ended up with a front splitter and rear diffuser. Your ride is looking good!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
__________________
mr_squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #4
weederr33
Airborne at your service
 
weederr33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 5,714
Thanks: 4,155
Thanked 4,833 Times in 2,571 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Wow I hope to see this around Austin some time!
__________________
Series.Yellowbird - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122135

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:44 AM   #5
mmmcambelsoup
Senior Member
 
mmmcambelsoup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: FR-S 10 series
Location: Petroleum City
Posts: 369
Thanks: 431
Thanked 291 Times in 144 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Damn that new TRD set up is nice, cant wait to see this with wheels and suspension! Your Zenki was dope as well. I'm from Houston and will actually be out in Austin this weekend.
__________________
IG: @Lucky_FatPat

10 series // TRD x Turbo Build:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79474
mmmcambelsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
Ron B Avery
Senior Member
 
Ron B Avery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: 2017 86 Coupe
Location: Oxnard CA
Posts: 162
Thanks: 0
Thanked 111 Times in 57 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have the same color 86 has well. Do the parts come prepainted? I was thinking of just the TRD front spliter. What was the $?
Thanks,
Ron
__________________
2017 Toyota 860 Halo White, TRD springs, TRD air filter, Center consul arm rest lid, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Pioneer SPH-DA120 head unit with Apple CarPlay,
TRD sway bars , 17" 949 Wheels Beryllium finish, Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, 225/45 ZR 17, Garage Vary Kouki splitter
Ron B Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:29 AM   #7
tawheed
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: '13 Sport Tech
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 112
Thanks: 14
Thanked 51 Times in 26 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nice! I was also thinking of doing TRD kit but didn't want to do the rear end to avoid having to go quad exhaust.. This looks good!
tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:51 AM   #8
Vin
Senior Member
 
Vin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: 2012 GT86 EU-spec
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 204
Thanks: 232
Thanked 149 Times in 99 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The wrecked 'old' TRD hurts my eyes, want to cry them out.. At least the kouki TRD is a good replacement to soften the pain, really really like round 2 so far
__________________
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #9
SuperTom
Senior Member
 
SuperTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Location: New Castle DE
Posts: 1,491
Thanks: 1,402
Thanked 902 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Damn looks really nice. That's as far as body mods I would do on this car. A nice set of wheels and a drop will look amazing
__________________
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:02 PM   #10
ZX88
Senior Member
 
ZX88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Drives: 22 BRZ
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 116
Thanks: 3
Thanked 103 Times in 42 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Coilovers and Wheels

Today I installed the BC racing Coilovers and Work Emotion XD9 wheels from my old car. The drop and wheels instantly transformed this car.

Parts Update:

Project Kics 5x100 to 5x114.3 10mm conversion spacers
Work XD9 17x9.5 +28 and a 225/45/17 tire.
Work Lug Nuts
BC Racing BR Coilovers

Went out and took advantage of the Texas afternoon for a small photo shoot.









ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ZX88 For This Useful Post:
ajaxthebetter (10-10-2017), Bounxou (04-30-2018), DaBoBo21 (09-19-2017), derekbrz24 (10-08-2017), Energy (09-11-2017), ERA (01-04-2018), HachiRokuX (09-16-2017), kai_gt86 (10-08-2017), mmmcambelsoup (09-11-2017), Raven86Project (09-13-2017), rkaywhodat (09-20-2017), SuperTom (09-10-2017), Vin (09-11-2017), yberther (01-10-2018)
Old 09-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #11
ervc.BRZ
Member
 
ervc.BRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Location: Markham
Posts: 37
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Damn, I don't really post on forums often but im lovin the new TRD kit for the 2017 86's. Kind of makes me regret getting the '17 BRZ. Good work bro
ervc.BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #12
SuperTom
Senior Member
 
SuperTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Location: New Castle DE
Posts: 1,491
Thanks: 1,402
Thanked 902 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervc.BRZ View Post
Damn, I don't really post on forums often but im lovin the new TRD kit for the 2017 86's. Kind of makes me regret getting the '17 BRZ. Good work bro


Then you probably want to stay off the forums as most on here hate the new 86 look. Although in person in real life away from a computer it looks amazing and even better with the OP's TRD kit.
__________________
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #13
ervc.BRZ
Member
 
ervc.BRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Location: Markham
Posts: 37
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
Then you probably want to stay off the forums as most on here hate the new 86 look. Although in person in real life away from a computer it looks amazing and even better with the OP's TRD kit.
Lol. Who spat in your milk this morning? Clearly i stated how I liked how the new TRD kit looks on the '17 86.
__________________
2005 NHBP RSX Type S - Totalled
2017 DGM Subaru BRZ - Current
ervc.BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #14
SuperTom
Senior Member
 
SuperTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Location: New Castle DE
Posts: 1,491
Thanks: 1,402
Thanked 902 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervc.BRZ View Post
Lol. Who spat in your milk this morning? Clearly i stated how I liked how the new TRD kit looks on the '17 86.
I was agreeing with you. I only said to stay off the forums because you said you don't post on here much. And the influence on the forums is that the '17 86 is terrible.
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
jdm, toyota 86, trd, work emotion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Kouki 86 JDM Smart key fob Revelia Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 23 01-11-2018 09:29 PM
Does DD Tail as Turn work on 2017? Williampreza Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 12 06-05-2017 03:58 PM
STI 2017+ Facelift Kouki Parts switchlanez BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 79 12-27-2016 07:02 PM
ZX88's TRD GT86 Daily Driver ZX88 Member's Car Journals 7 01-17-2016 10:37 PM
new 2014 Wheels - RAYS VOLK Racing ZE40 | WORK Meister M1 | WORK Seeker Series RavSpec Wheels and Tires 8 06-15-2014 10:07 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.