follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2020, 09:09 PM   #15
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
B6 are roughly the same bump and droop travel as stock. B8 have less droop. They may have shorter bumpstops but that's it. Good shocks but don't buy them for more travel!
Good info, thanks! Won't be trying that route then...

Quote:
Certainly could try the B14s as is and go from there. I'm sure 5k/6k would be good on standard valving, 6k/7k maybe a little underdamped in front.
It looks like the B14 springs are smaller-diameter at the lower perches, stock diameter at upper perches. Are stiffer linear springs like this available?

Quote:
I do have Bilstein branded 7k springs if you're interested. Edit: and KW branded 5k 200mm springs if you want to create a German Frankenstein's monster.
Not generally averse to Frankensteining
But would be nice to be able to use springs that fit the B14 lower perches and Raceseng stock-spring-diameter upper perches. Though it might make sense to just purchase smaller-diameter Raceseng upper perches in order to open up spring options.

Quote:
The raceseng plates work much better for coilovers if I recall. With their upper perch the stack height is small and you don't lose bump travel, but you'd have to buy that from them.
You mean the smaller-diameter coilover upper perch, right? I'll get a quote. Might be worth it to have linear-rate spring options.

Quote:
I would not recommend 2 inch drop rear mounts.
Cool, wasn't planning on it. I'll probably be running around 1.25" lower than stock.

Quote:
I would expect the coilovers set up with proper travel to be a large improvement in driveability over your current set up.
Yeah I hope so!
Thanks!
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
wparsons (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 03:50 AM   #16
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
I'm 3rd-ing Andy's B14 recommendation. The right features, proven durability and quality, extremely serviceable and parts that are designed to fit if you want to revalve or upgrade.

I've been trying to scavenge some used shocks to dissect and rebuild, these are on the top my my list. lol There are not as many of them out there. I have seen a set of these Bilsteins tricked out with MDS double adjustable shafts and raceng tops up for sale IIRC. pretty slick set up.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.

Last edited by solidONE; 01-07-2020 at 04:36 AM.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
wparsons (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #17
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
But would be nice to be able to use springs that fit the B14 lower perches and Raceseng stock-spring-diameter upper perches. Though it might make sense to just purchase smaller-diameter Raceseng upper perches in order to open up spring options.

You mean the smaller-diameter coilover upper perch, right? I'll get a quote. Might be worth it to have linear-rate spring options.
Yeah the smaller diameter upper perch from Raceseng...that'll make it all a lot easier.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
wparsons (01-07-2020), ZDan (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 03:35 PM   #18
RotARy15

Drives: 1993 Mazda RX-7 R1, 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don't mean to derail this thread but something caught my attention.

I am looking at Raceseng CasCam plates for a stock Sachs PP setup. Is it true that those plates will reduce bump travel on a stock suspension? Is it enough to be a concern? I could easily see myself keeping the suspension stock and tracking with 200tw tires. This would already lead to more roll and dive than desired so less stroke would make this worse, I expect.
RotARy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:15 PM   #19
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotARy15 View Post
I am looking at Raceseng CasCam plates for a stock Sachs PP setup. Is it true that those plates will reduce bump travel on a stock suspension? Is it enough to be a concern? I could easily see myself keeping the suspension stock and tracking with 200tw tires. This would already lead to more roll and dive than desired so less stroke would make this worse, I expect.
At stock ride height you're probably fine. In my case, at -1.25" front ride height, bottoming of the front suspension over even smallish bumps made it pretty intolerable on the street. If you want to go lower while keeping the Sachs dampers, you're probably going to be better off just running camber bolts and living with less camber...

Somebody should make longer front control arms...
Old 01-07-2020, 06:25 PM   #20
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
At stock ride height you're probably fine. In my case, at -1.25" front ride height, bottoming of the front suspension over even smallish bumps made it pretty intolerable on the street. If you want to go lower while keeping the Sachs dampers, you're probably going to be better off just running camber bolts and living with less camber...

Somebody should make longer front control arms...
Like these?
https://www.splparts.com/products/fr...-brz-ft86.html
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:32 AM   #21
Racecomp Engineering

The Cusco ones probably get your more width. I may get them for my own car soon.

- Andrew

Last edited by Racecomp Engineering; 01-08-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:33 AM   #22
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
I don't mean to derail this thread but something caught my attention.

IMO yes it's enough to be a concern. They're fantastic plates but with OEM dampers it's not the best solution imo.

- Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
ZDan (01-09-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 08:51 AM   #23
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
No experience with sachs, but there were NVH issues with cascams & kouki stock OEM shocks, with some sharper movements sounding like loud hits almost as if something will break. Bad enough to decide to revert to rubber mounts and gain camber with other means. That is NVH issue though, not travel related one.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:08 AM   #24
AngelGT86Racer

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2007 Acura TL 5AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

To be honest, I hadn't thought about this until now. I have that exact setup - 17 Sachs with RS CasCam plates. I've been tracking on 200tw for the last year. Theoretically, you would be losing a little bit of travel because a portion of the shock shaft "hides" inside the spring perch bearing and can no longer be used for bump stroke.

That being said, I also use a 22mm bar up front to help with some extra roll stiffness. I've yet to get into a situation with my setup where I've felt the front is severely running out of travel.
It does make me curious to look at where my front bump stop is sitting in relation to my end of travel.
AngelGT86Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:14 AM   #25
AngelGT86Racer

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2007 Acura TL 5AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
The Cusco ones probably get your more width. I may get them for my own car soon.

- Andrew

I have the Cusco arms myself and I'm very happy with them. I think the fact that they use a stiffer, but still rubber, bushing is an important consideration for a lot of people. I had HardRace arms before which had sphericals. Those, combined with my RS CasCam plates, the front became fully hard mounted and the NVH on the street was really a bit much for me.
AngelGT86Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngelGT86Racer For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (01-09-2020), wparsons (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #26
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGT86Racer View Post
To be honest, I hadn't thought about this until now. I have that exact setup - 17 Sachs with RS CasCam plates. I've been tracking on 200tw for the last year. Theoretically, you would be losing a little bit of travel because a portion of the shock shaft "hides" inside the spring perch bearing and can no longer be used for bump stroke.
What's your ride height relative to stock? I'm on Swift BRZ Sport springs, which in concert with the cascam plates lowered the car by 1.5" in the front, 1.25" rear, quite a bit more than the expected 1.1" front 1" rear.
I added a 1/4" spacer between spring and upper perch to get to 1.25" lower all around, which helped but still I think I need about another 1/2" of bump travel.

Where I'm at, that lost bump travel is critical. At stock height I'm sure it's no big deal.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:21 PM   #27
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
The lotus world has a non adjustable penske offering for under 2500. If they ever happened to the twins, I'd be first in line.
wparsons (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 02:42 PM   #28
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
The lotus world has a non adjustable penske offering for under 2500. If they ever happened to the twins, I'd be first in line.
There is one major thing about many of these beautiful aluminum motorsport level shocks besides valving options and the obvious cost difference, and that's the required service intervals. I'm not sure what exactly it is, but they have the tendency to need to be serviced much more frequently and the seals don't seem to be as robust. I'm sure some brands might be better in that department than others, but Penske seems to be more delicate. Maybe the high internal pressures an low drag seals aren't the best for longevity. Who knows?

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote