follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-29-2018, 12:05 AM   #15
UT_BRZ

Drives: 17 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I can snap a pic of my harness setup but it's the 28 pin with the 6 pin and 10 pin harnesses.

I had the exact same issue with my camera. I traced wires and checked all of the connections and wasted hours. It wasn't until went through all the settings that I figured out I had to let the head unit itself know there was a rear camera. Once I setup that in the settings, the camera feed worked like a charm. This was on an Alpine ILX-207 so I don't know if this could be the culprit for you.
UT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UT_BRZ For This Useful Post:
NCtoBRZ (04-02-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 08:24 AM   #16
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_BRZ View Post
I can snap a pic of my harness setup but it's the 28 pin with the 6 pin and 10 pin harnesses.

I had the exact same issue with my camera. I traced wires and checked all of the connections and wasted hours. It wasn't until went through all the settings that I figured out I had to let the head unit itself know there was a rear camera. Once I setup that in the settings, the camera feed worked like a charm. This was on an Alpine ILX-207 so I don't know if this could be the culprit for you.
Same deal on my Pioneer with the camera. I think it resets every time the HU is disconnected, which sorta sucks. Took me a few times of mild panic to remember this.
NCtoBRZ (04-02-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 12:46 PM   #17
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Same deal on my Pioneer with the camera. I think it resets every time the HU is disconnected, which sorta sucks. Took me a few times of mild panic to remember this.
I've already set the Pioneer head unit to accept the camera so unfortunately it won't be so easy in this case. What I really need a picture of is the wires spliced to the 28 pin Maestro harness. I suspect something about how their 28 pin harness is set up doesn't translate directly to the Metra harness that you've mentioned.
After providing the blink codes to idatalink, they updated something on their side and I reflashed the firmware and the steering wheel buttons finally work properly. I connected the OBD connector to test out the gauges, but it just shows OBD2 error 1, so there is yet another thing that should have been simple but apparently won't be.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #18
NCtoBRZ

Can somebody with the RR installed confirm how many and which pins are in place on the OBD2 connector?
Old 03-29-2018, 07:04 PM   #19
UT_BRZ

I'll be done with class here in a few more hours. I gotta find a site to upload what I have so it will be sometime tonight. I did the best I could to tidy up the rats nest of wires. I purchased a second 6 pin Metra harness and wired pin 4 & 5 to clip into the obd plug right next to the stereo harness. It is referenced on http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=18
NCtoBRZ (04-02-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 07:39 PM   #20
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
I'll be done with class here in a few more hours. I gotta find a site to upload what I have so it will be sometime tonight. I did the best I could to tidy up the rats nest of wires. I purchased a second 6 pin Metra harness and wired pin 4 & 5 to clip into the obd plug right next to the stereo harness. It is referenced on http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=18
Did your Maestro T01 harness include the direct OBD2 connector and you just didn’t want to run it down to the OBD2 port? I ask because I think they used to just include bare wires, but the harness that I received actually has a direct clip-on connector for the OBD2 port. So from what I’ve gathered, your Maestro RR install is a mix of Metra and Maestro parts?
Old 03-30-2018, 12:20 AM   #21
UT_BRZ

I looked into doing the T01 harness, but in my research there were quite a few issues with the 2017 so I built my own. In comparing what I did to the T01 harness, it is pretty much the same outcome. Hope these help.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UT_BRZ For This Useful Post:
COBlue (10-29-2018), NCtoBRZ (04-02-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 08:13 AM   #22
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
I looked into doing the T01 harness, but in my research there were quite a few issues with the 2017 so I built my own. In comparing what I did to the T01 harness, it is pretty much the same outcome. Hope these help.
]
Very helpful, thanks. The general idea of how yours is wired (as far as how things are connected to the 28 pin harness) is how I connected things to the T01 harness, so it must be something weird going on within the T01 harness that is causing the camera and gauges to refuse to work. One thing that stands out is that the OBD2 harness with the T01 has 3 wires/pins populated, but I can see from your pictures that only 2 are needed. What parts exactly did you buy to build that harness? Would you like to build one for me? Lol

Edit: Idatalink informed me that the 3rd OBD wire is for the TPMS reading.

Edit 2: I think it just occurred to me why the camera is not switching on when going into reverse but the black screen pops up on the head unit... I believe that the reverse signal wire from pin 2 AND the power wire for the camera need to be connected to the reverse wire from the head unit. Is it safe to directly T the 6+volt power wire to both pin 11 and pin 2 or how exactly should this be accomplished?

Last edited by NCtoBRZ; 03-30-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:01 PM   #23
NCtoBRZ

I did a master reset on the RR and sure enough the gauges are now working. I just need to figure out why the reverse camera isn’t working and I should pretty much be set. Is it necessary for both the wire from pin 2 and pin 11 to connect back to the reverse signal wire from the head unit as shown in this thread? http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111866
Old 03-31-2018, 04:26 AM   #24
UT_BRZ

Glad the gauges are finally working! As for the camera-

Pin 2 on the 28-pin harness should go to the reverse camera wire on the head unit wire harness.

Pin 11 should go to the gray/yellow wire on the Maestro RR unit. Since the Maestro unit itself automatically steps down power from 12v to 6v, this powers the camera. At least this is how I did and how it's done on the 2016 WRX head units (same wiring as the 2017 BRZ).

The only other connection would be the camera feed through the yellow rca jack.
NCtoBRZ (04-02-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 05:34 AM   #25
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
Glad the gauges are finally working! As for the camera-

Pin 2 on the 28-pin harness should go to the reverse camera wire on the head unit wire harness.

Pin 11 should go to the gray/yellow wire on the Maestro RR unit. Since the Maestro unit itself automatically steps down power from 12v to 6v, this powers the camera. At least this is how I did and how it's done on the 2016 WRX head units (same wiring as the 2017 BRZ).

The only other connection would be the camera feed through the yellow rca jack.
That’s how I have it connected, except with the T01 harness it is a blue/yellow wire (see pic below) instead of gray/yellow that provides 6v. The T01 harness has a clip-on section for the camera that has 4 wires that cover the camera and yellow RCA connections. I have the yellow RCA connection going to pins 12 (positive) and 13 (ground) and the 6 volt blue/yellow power going to pin 11 and the 6 volt ground going to pin 20. The yellow RCA connection is plugged into the R.C. In Jack on the back of the head unit and the head unit is set to accept the reverse camera input with “battery/positive” polarity.

One thing that I did notice is that when I tested the camera power wire with a multimeter it is putting out closer to 5 volts than 6... I’m not sure if that might be causing the issue or why it’s not showing a full 6 volts.
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2018, 04:12 PM   #26
NCtoBRZ

Man this reverse camera is frustrating. I connected a cheap reverse cam that I had sitting around and it worked fine, so I know there isn’t anything wrong with the connection on the head unit or the settings. It seems that the OEM camera just isn’t powering up and I don’t know why... I’ve rechecked the connections 100 times. Is the gray/yellow wire that you connected to showing a full 6 Volts on a multimeter?
Old 04-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #27
NCtoBRZ

- Is pin 17 for the VSS only needed for head units with built in nav, or does some of the data for the Maestro gauges like the 0-60 measurement feed off of the VSS as well?
- Is it necessary to connect both the purple/white reverse lead from the radio harness AND the maestro harness to pin 2? The head unit recognizes when the transmission is in reverse without the wire from the Maestro harness being connected, but is it necessary for the RR to see that signal in order for the camera to work?
-Did you use the AX-SUB28SWC-6V (minus the 6 volt converter since you already have 6 volts from the RR)for your 28 pin harness?

Last edited by NCtoBRZ; 04-01-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:37 AM   #28
Blue Gumby

Drives: 2017 86
When I initially hooked up the reverse camera (2017 86) the reverse camera did not work until I tapped the reverse wire from Mastro (purple white) to pin #2 on the 28 pin harness. Should do the VSS and hand brake while you’re at it so all function on head unit will work properly.
Blue Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Gumby For This Useful Post:
NCtoBRZ (04-02-2018)