follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2014, 01:31 AM   #127
mig86
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: MY15 86 GTS
Location: Australia
Posts: 45
Thanks: 15
Thanked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
Awesome! But according to mig86, that was too much trouble so you must have done it wrong

How many lines of code?
And how come you didnt use the Arduino IDE (just curious)
First up, Good job Joshb86! I like seeing people doing things themselves.

I think my comments in this thread have been totally misunderstood by some.
I'll keep it short but try and clear up:
1. It was others telling me I had wasted my time because it only takes a few seconds to hold the button down.
2. The comments about micro vs discrete were based on me already having the PCB's that did the job I needed. I wasn't trying to battle out which was was best, but did feel like my approach was being attacked as sub optimal. I had tested robust hardware on hand that did what I needed, so I used it.

Anyway, I want this to be positive and collaborative.

I'm still interested in the CAN side of things (since this is my day job).
I'll try and get some time to record and share the CAN trace for the peddle dance.

From my work experience I would bet there is a command to engage this mode via CAN that would be used for development purposes, but it would be hit and miss trying to guess it.
mig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #128
joshb86
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Drives: '13 FR-S
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 33
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig86 View Post
First up, Good job Joshb86! I like seeing people doing things themselves.

I think my comments in this thread have been totally misunderstood by some.
I'll keep it short but try and clear up:
1. It was others telling me I had wasted my time because it only takes a few seconds to hold the button down.
2. The comments about micro vs discrete were based on me already having the PCB's that did the job I needed. I wasn't trying to battle out which was was best, but did feel like my approach was being attacked as sub optimal. I had tested robust hardware on hand that did what I needed, so I used it.

Anyway, I want this to be positive and collaborative.

I'm still interested in the CAN side of things (since this is my day job).
I'll try and get some time to record and share the CAN trace for the peddle dance.

From my work experience I would bet there is a command to engage this mode via CAN that would be used for development purposes, but it would be hit and miss trying to guess it.
@mig86 a CAN trace would be fantastic if you get the time. I'll pitch in with what I can to help automate a pedal dance.

About to go finalize my install.
joshb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #129
stugray
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,925
Thanks: 627
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig86 View Post
2. The comments about micro vs discrete were based on me already having the PCB's that did the job I needed. I wasn't trying to battle out which was was best, but did feel like my approach was being attacked as sub optimal. I had tested robust hardware on hand that did what I needed, so I used it.

Anyway, I want this to be positive and collaborative.
.
Thanks for joining back in.

I think there was just confusion on both sides.
I kept posting more information because from my perspective you did not understand what I was suggesting.
It was your comments about increasing parts count or soldering SMD.

As you can see what I was suggesting just works right out of the box with lower parts count and less soldering (and NO SMD soldering).

So now that josh86 has demonstrated the simplicity, I can stand down now.

I think the beetle could be used to do a TON of things in these cars such as: fancy relay controls, pedal dance, dataogger, CAN bus sniffer, digital gauge etc.
And the beetle is just the tip of the Arduino iceberg.

FWIW - a decent quadcopter will usually have the equivalent of 5-10 of the same chip as the beetle in it.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #130
joshb86
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Drives: '13 FR-S
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 33
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Here are a couple more photos. First is of the prototype(not super pretty) pre car install. The second is the unit in the car with VSC wired, automotive step down wired and the toggle switch wired for final testing before the complete install.

I also have a couple videos I'll be uploading soon.
Attached Images
  
joshb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #131
USN.Spence
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 50
Thanks: 16
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Aurdino is so expensive. Back in high school I programmed picaxe microchips and made my own pcb's by transferring ink to a blank board and etching the traces with mutaric acid. Here's the link to the chips. If I knew what I needed to tap into, I could help get involved with a plug and play. http://www.picaxe.com/Hardware/PICAX...crocontroller/
USN.Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #132
joshb86
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Drives: '13 FR-S
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 33
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USN.Spence View Post
Aurdino is so expensive. Back in high school I programmed picaxe microchips and made my own pcb's by transferring ink to a blank board and etching the traces with mutaric acid. Here's the link to the chips. If I knew what I needed to tap into, I could help get involved with a plug and play. http://www.picaxe.com/Hardware/PICAX...crocontroller/
@USN.Spence This board was $7... I think you're thinking of the larger boards.
joshb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #133
joshb86
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Drives: '13 FR-S
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 33
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Here's the first video. Testing in the car before the full install.

[ame="http://youtu.be/UpbIS4W99SI"]http://youtu.be/UpbIS4W99SI[/ame]
joshb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #134
USN.Spence
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 50
Thanks: 16
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshb86 View Post
@USN.Spence This board was $7... I think you're thinking of the larger boards.
I'm not too familiar with aurdino, I just know that they're fairly pricey. Just throwing an idea out there.
USN.Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #135
joshb86
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Drives: '13 FR-S
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 33
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USN.Spence View Post
I'm not too familiar with aurdino, I just know that they're fairly pricey. Just throwing an idea out there.
Ah. I don't know anything about picaxe, but looks like it would also do the job.
joshb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #136
USN.Spence
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 50
Thanks: 16
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshb86 View Post
Ah. I don't know anything about picaxe, but looks like it would also do the job.
If you can write a batch file, you can use picaxe. Super simple programming
USN.Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #137
joshb86
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Drives: '13 FR-S
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 33
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Full install demo!

[ame="http://youtu.be/73TQVR1-mDk"]http://youtu.be/73TQVR1-mDk[/ame]
joshb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #138
USN.Spence
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 50
Thanks: 16
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshb86 View Post
Full install demo!

Can you post schematics?
USN.Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:23 PM   #139
stugray
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,925
Thanks: 627
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USN.Spence View Post
Can you post schematics?
@joshb86 - Yes please do!

I was curious if we would even need the transistor.
Have you measured how much current flows to ground when the switch is closed?

If it is less than 40mA, then a digital input on the beetle can sink up to 40mA.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #140
joshb86
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Drives: '13 FR-S
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 33
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
@joshb86 - Yes please do!

I was curious if we would even need the transistor.
Have you measured how much current flows to ground when the switch is closed?

If it is less than 40mA, then a digital input on the beetle can sink up to 40mA.
You do need a transistor on the VSC. Without it the digital pin even at low still sets off the VSC mode.

Sadly... I honestly don't know how to do a schematic lol. I can mostly read one now, but until this project I've never used a resistor or transistor nor did I even know what they did : / I just went trial by error and learned along the way reading what I could to figure out what I needed. I can explain it though.....

Toggle switch Post 1 - From switch runs to the ground on the beetle and the digital pin(D9 in my case). I then had to bridge a resistor between the ground and D9 because the fluctuating signal.

Toggle switch Post 2 - From switch runs to +5V on the beetle.

For the VSC side - Transistor base leg on the VSC pin of the beetle(D11 in my case), emitter leg I put to the ground on the power side of the board since it's right next to D11 and the collector leg to the green VSC wire on the car.

For power since I have a switch which cuts ACC to the car during my race events, I bought an automotive 12vDC to 5vDC step down on amazon($7). I pulled power to the step down from the ACC wire to the ignition before where I placed my acc cut off switch.

I'd like to do a detailed how-to which I'll learn how to do a proper schematic for and include some pic heavy instructions.
joshb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
brake override DOES NOT diminish heel & toe 4agze Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 31 09-17-2012 04:43 AM
Permanent Optimum opti-coat 2.0 ?? Ericfrs Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) 4 09-04-2012 02:11 AM
LF: rear fog switch picture Silverdub Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 6 06-28-2012 08:34 AM
Anyone going to switch badges? DougieFresh Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 60 09-28-2011 02:56 AM
Brake override system in the FT-86? mrKiKaZ Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 10 02-22-2010 11:33 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.