follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-19-2017, 12:41 AM   #1
etc

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
EvoX rear caliper swap

This is designed as a complement to the ATS front caliper swap: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...68#post2628568

This should resolve any brake bias concerns. It will match the four front 42mm pistons with two rear 40mm. Here are the calculations used to arrive at this pairing: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

But more convincing to many will be that this is what the '17 BRZ Brembos are 4x42 front 2x40 rear with STI sized rotors, source: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=12

These are matched with DBA's 4000 series STI rear rotor for 08+ sti. So with the front brakes it is easier you can use the 04 sti rotor to get our bolt pattern, rears are complicated by a change in disk offset in 08, so 04 rotors wont work, source: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=1265631 However DBA drills their rotors for both 5x100 and 5x114 so you can use their 08+ sti rotor. I think you should be able to use the BRZ pp rotors since they are probably the same as the STI rotors but with the our pattern, as those become more available we can see.

Surprisingly the evox's calipers line up perfectly for the mounting bolts. However, as with the ATS calipers, you need to drill the factory mount holes out to 12mm (from 10mm).

You will then need to remove the rear dust/gravel shield as with most BBKs. I followed instructions on this site in reference to another BBK and just cut the shield off instead of removing the drum brake and the hub in order to properly remove it. To cut it off I used a carbide blade on an oscillating tool that made the job pretty easy.

You will also need to space the caliper out 4mm to center the rotor in the caliper. To do this I designed some spacers, essentially large washers maximizing contact points between the calipers and the hub. I had these waterjet cut by bigbluesaw.com, using their 6061-T6 aluminum at 0.16in thickness. I have attached the .dxf file needed for cutting to this post (in the zip file). The downside is that their pricing only makes sense at 50 of them cut. So I have eleven extra sets I can ship to people for $20 shipped (pm me), after that you will need to get a set cut yourself and pawn off the extras.

You will also need longer 12mm bolts than those that come with the evox calipers since you are spacing them. I found the sti bolts (part# 901120103) to be the right size M12x1.5x37long and they are the proper class 10 bolts.

With all this said there is one minor downside, the pad will actually hang 5mm off the outside of the rotor. My pads, carbotech xp8s, are 9.9mm and the rotor is 20mm thick so even if I went to the metal on both pads they still wouldn't touch, yes you are wasting some pad but it is in the rear and in my experience these last a long long time so I am not so worried but be warned.

So total price looks like:
two evox rear calipers from ebay: $240
two 08 sti dba4000 rear rotors: $270
four spacers: $20 from me, $9/set if you buy 12 sets from bigbluesaw
four sti bolts: $12 + shipping

That about covers it, I am happy with the result. Hope this helps others.
Attached Files
File Type: zip standoffs - standoff.zip (6.4 KB, 366 views)

Last edited by etc; 04-21-2017 at 11:02 PM.
etc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to etc For This Useful Post:
15limited (02-20-2018), all4spl (04-20-2017), DAEMANO (08-06-2017), KnightRyderx2 (04-20-2017), Nsot (04-19-2017), olsonpg (05-14-2018), RuyGuy2 (04-23-2020), Shneegle (04-19-2017), Tristor (09-13-2019)
Old 04-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
all4spl

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Hmm Have you looked into the Evo 8 rear calipers? Apparently they are slightly smaller so that may fix the pad overhang?
all4spl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:47 PM   #3
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
08+ STI rear brembos line up right and bolt on.

Although I think they have 36mm pistons which is not ideal.

edit: no, 08+ sti brembos have 40mm pistons which is a much better match to the front brembos.

Last edited by jamal; 02-27-2018 at 07:37 PM.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamal For This Useful Post:
RedReplicant (01-26-2023)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:48 PM   #4
etc

Interesting idea, looking around evo8 looks to be around 300mm and evox appears to be 330mm so assuming the mounting points are the same that is a 30mm drop which is too much, we would want to drop 5-8mm maybe.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:01 PM   #5
etc

In regards to the sti brembos, I am mostly interested in shifting brake bias rearward so that wouldn't work as well for me, if the goal is looks then that would be an easier route. (Not that I don't love the looks too)
Old 04-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #6
all4spl

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Gotcha. Maybe we can find a disc that is slightly bigger or something then for the 5mm. im sure the 5mm overhang is effecting braking slightly.
all4spl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #7
surfwaxsmitty

Drives: '14 BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for pursuing this and sharing the info!

Looking forward to seeing how this setup evolves.
surfwaxsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:52 PM   #8
etc

I will update when I have put some track time on these, I am in the middle of moving though so I don't plan on hitting the track again until maybe mid june.

As for a larger disc, that would be great but options are limited. Rears are complicated by needing to match parking brake drum diameter as well as bolt pattern and offset. The best bet if you wanted to try to get a couple more mm would be to find a two piece rotor for the sti and using the properly sized hat you could try to find some replacement discs that are a little larger. There is a bit of standardization in those discs so it should be possible.

Personally I am happy with it so far and don't have much motivation to continue refining it but welcome others to build on it. If I do anything else it would be to consider pushing bias farther rearward than stock with maybe a four piston rear but I doubt I will actually peruse it.

The effects on braking are actually more rearward bias than the calculations show because you are exerting the same force just farther out from the hub. Other than that higher brake pad wear because that same force now has (5*87)mm less area to wear. I am not too concerned about the wear because rear pads wear slowly enough to not be a meaningful expense to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etc For This Useful Post:
ajc209 (06-16-2017), BlaqkHavok (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 07:23 AM   #9
ajc209

Drives: GT86 Cosworth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc View Post
I will update when I have put some track time on these, I am in the middle of moving though so I don't plan on hitting the track again until maybe mid june.

As for a larger disc, that would be great but options are limited. Rears are complicated by needing to match parking brake drum diameter as well as bolt pattern and offset. The best bet if you wanted to try to get a couple more mm would be to find a two piece rotor for the sti and using the properly sized hat you could try to find some replacement discs that are a little larger. There is a bit of standardization in those discs so it should be possible.

Personally I am happy with it so far and don't have much motivation to continue refining it but welcome others to build on it. If I do anything else it would be to consider pushing bias farther rearward than stock with maybe a four piston rear but I doubt I will actually peruse it.

The effects on braking are actually more rearward bias than the calculations show because you are exerting the same force just farther out from the hub. Other than that higher brake pad wear because that same force now has (5*87)mm less area to wear. I am not too concerned about the wear because rear pads wear slowly enough to not be a meaningful expense to me.
have you been on track yet?
ajc209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #10
etc

I was out at Thunderhill yesterday. Worked great, no issues.

Braking is significantly better for me but I also upgraded my front pads (ebc yellow -> carbotech xp8). But with this setup now and xp8s all around the braking is really solid, dependable and hard. I can trigger ABS on 235 nt01s if I push it. It feels well balanced in braking, particularly in trail braking now. Not much else to say, shit just works, I am very happy with it.

Ideally I would have some instrumented tests with before and after 100-0, braking gs, etc.. but that sounds like work and this is just a hobby.

Last edited by etc; 06-23-2017 at 12:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to etc For This Useful Post:
venturaII (05-14-2018)
Old 06-23-2017, 01:46 PM   #11
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
08+ STI rear brembos line up right and bolt on.

Although I think they have 36mm pistons which is not ideal.
Pretty sure 04 and up line up and bolt on..

I forgot tho, I have front STI brembos on my car, never bothered with the rears. Maybe one day for looks
Old 08-09-2017, 02:00 PM   #12
vijay.dy06

Drives: Red BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Pmed you about the spacers
vijay.dy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:58 PM   #13
Skeneypoo

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
With all this said there is one minor downside, the pad will actually hang 5mm off the outside of the rotor. My pads, carbotech xp8s, are 9.9mm and the rotor is 20mm thick so even if I went to the metal on both pads they still wouldn't touch, yes you are wasting some pad but it is in the rear and in my experience these last a long long time so I am not so worried but be warned.

Hey, I'm about to purchase the parts for the front and rear upgrades.

On the rear rotors, if I just slotted the holes on the mount for the calipers about 5mm, allowing the caliper to sit lower on the disk, would I have any other issues with clearance?

Aka, is there anything else in the way stopping the caliper from dropping 5mm or does it just mount a bit too high?

Thanks man, you the brake king.
Skeneypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:06 PM   #14
15limited

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
I was out at Thunderhill yesterday. Worked great, no issues.

Braking is significantly better for me but I also upgraded my front pads (ebc yellow -> carbotech xp8). But with this setup now and xp8s all around the braking is really solid, dependable and hard. I can trigger ABS on 235 nt01s if I push it. It feels well balanced in braking, particularly in trail braking now. Not much else to say, shit just works, I am very happy with it.

Ideally I would have some instrumented tests with before and after 100-0, braking gs, etc.. but that sounds like work and this is just a hobby.

Anybody have luck finding rotors to eat up the extra pad hangoff? I'm having a hell of a time even finding 08+ sti hat offset to put on a slightly larger disk.
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 15limited For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-21-2018)

Tags
brake, brembo, retrofit