follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #85
Tagera

Drives: Hot Lava/2013 FR-S/Automatic
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Might as well slap Tacoma in with #8 since they're so close to each other.
Tagera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #86
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanam0909 View Post
She can accelerate on me ALLLL DAY long.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #87
Byebye

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala FR-S View Post
I'm autocrossing my A/T and I am working on exploiting the A/T's quick smooth rev-matched downshifts to first for those slow sections when most manual drivers remain in second gear.
I auto x'd a couple weeks ago and I just left it in auto Sport the whole day. I figured there was no point in using the paddles as the computer knows the best point to shift. There were no sections slow enough to drop down to first but obviously if it felt the need it would have. Needless to say I was able to concentrate on the first couple corners more because I didn't have to think about shifting.
Byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #88
mike_ekim1024

Drives: Argento Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byebye View Post
I auto x'd a couple weeks ago and I just left it in auto Sport the whole day. I figured there was no point in using the paddles as the computer knows the best point to shift. There were no sections slow enough to drop down to first but obviously if it felt the need it would have. Needless to say I was able to concentrate on the first couple corners more because I didn't have to think about shifting.
Sport mode either holds the gear for two long, or upshifts just at the wrong time. And there's no way it can predict a hill coming up to downshift.. Sure you can wot but what if you don't want to change your speed, just your gear? I've found sport mode more annoying than anything. Normal or manual (99% for me) modes work best. Granted, I've never autox'd with sport mode, but I wouldn't want it guessing what gear I want.. It's not that smart.

Don't get me wrong, I love my manual-matic. Intake and exhaust have lessened the torque dip, and the 4.56 final drive should make it pull a bit harder. A good tune will tie everything together.
mike_ekim1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #89
bdanisi
You Made Bro?

Drives: Raven 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm autocrossing my A/T and I am working on exploiting the A/T's quick smooth rev-matched downshifts to first for those slow sections when most manual drivers remain in second gear.
i thought the golden rule was to never downshift into first unless you are really coming to a stop?
edit all of you shut up i commute through number 1 and i work in number 3 as well with my mt so dont cry to me about traffic lol
Old 11-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #90
Ocala FR-S

Drives: 2013 FR-S AT Argento
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdanisi View Post
i thought the golden rule was to never downshift into first unless you are really coming to a stop?
edit all of you shut up i commute through number 1 and i work in number 3 as well with my mt so dont cry to me about traffic lol
I'll admit, it may not turn out to be a good idea. I've done first in a tight hairpin where staying in second was a bit sluggish. I'm just pretty sure I wouldn't try that in a manual.
Ocala FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #91
Ocala FR-S

Drives: 2013 FR-S AT Argento
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byebye View Post
I considered doing just that this past weekend, but decided to stay in manual mode. On the street, I'm almost always good on the auto upshifts and use paddle override for the downshifts. I don't use sport mode but I would for autocross. Hanging on to gears into the high revs would be a good thing.

I see two big down sides for using either auto mode in autocross. First, there is no gear readout until you hit a paddle and then it's too late to know. Second, you can't use the floor shifter for down shifts. With all the extereme steering inputs in autocross, the spinning paddles are just too hard to find. I figure I'll just keep honing my skills in manual mode and using the floor shifter.
Ocala FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #92
dnavas

Drives: Elantra & UM A/T FR-S ex-Saturn
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_ekim1024 View Post
Sport mode either holds the gear for two long, or upshifts just at the wrong time.
I've been playing around with auto modes recently. I've found 'normal' to be way too quick to get out of 1st and 2nd gear, but pretty good at getting into 4th - 6th. I do find sport holds off upshifting for too long in higher gears, but it feels more natural in lower gears.

Last edited by dnavas; 11-06-2013 at 09:05 AM.
dnavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #93
JLMtm

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by E403Q View Post
Has anyone else gotten a auto frs or am I the only one hahahha just a bit curious. Parents bought the car so didnt really have an option. BTW what are the best ways to keep a black car clean as possible?
I got a raven auto just like you
As far as washing I used to wash it every week back in summer and had it waxed and detailed if I had an event coming up but now in fall\winter with the shorter days whos gonna be noticing I'll be washing it twice a week , there's not much you can use other then a good wash since it's just gonna get dirty real fast
Tint the windows up and it will look slick
JLMtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #94
ScionFrsFan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_ekim1024 View Post
Sport mode either holds the gear for two long, or upshifts just at the wrong time. And there's no way it can predict a hill coming up to downshift.. Sure you can wot but what if you don't want to change your speed, just your gear? I've found sport mode more annoying than anything. Normal or manual (99% for me) modes work best. Granted, I've never autox'd with sport mode, but I wouldn't want it guessing what gear I want.. It's not that smart.

Don't get me wrong, I love my manual-matic. Intake and exhaust have lessened the torque dip, and the 4.56 final drive should make it pull a bit harder. A good tune will tie everything together.
Yep! Unless you are on a track, sport mode can be annoying. I use "manual" when I want to have fun and "normal" mode when cruising. Normal mode feels good. It's predictable and that's what you want. Even in normal mode the car downshift pretty darn quick....I wish Sport mode was set up differently.
ScionFrsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #95
sc0urge

Drives: 2013 BRZ CBS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Someone on this forum told me that maintaining a black car is a labor of love. I couldn't agree more. Make sure you learn how to properly wash your car to reduce wash-induced scratches-- any little mistake you make washing the car will be visible. That being said, I couldn't be happier with my CBS BRZ.

I personally have the 6MT but would really like the chance to drive an automatic version of the car. I've heard a lot of positive comments regarding the automatic transmission and would like to see how the different transmissions compare.
sc0urge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #96
Missy
Blue Nose

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series
Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,017 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanzaiZee View Post
Auto here, too! Honestly, I've always wanted to learn how to drive manual but I haven't made it a high-enough priority. Tried it twice but they were short lessons. Only reason I didn't get a manual was because I wanted to be able to drive it off the lot without ruining/crashing it.. : )))
I'm the exact same other than I kinda know how, just can't get the motion down and feel like; I won't die, kill my car, or kill another car. Haha
Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #97
autobrz

Drives: Mazda 3
I haven't driven a manual 86 yet due to lack of inventory when I went for a test drive but I actually think the auto is awesome.

Can you imagine trying to downshift to 1st when going 25mph if I wanted to accelerate fast or constantly having to downshift to accelerate and then upshift to bring the rpms down?

With the auto, I can do all that with ease without feeling like I'm abusing the synchros because the car rev matches really well and in manual mode the torque converter locked so the throttle response is excellent.
autobrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #98
autobrz

Drives: Mazda 3
Quote:
Being able to downshift to 1st without heel-toe is the most awesome part of having the auto, especially when 2nd gear is too long and the power band at the top too narrow...
autobrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children, derp, ifyoudontdrivemanualurgay, not this shit again, typical car forum thread