follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #57
mush

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series #81 of 2500
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lfa has dual clutch, faster gear changes than manual
mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #58
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandred7 View Post
I've never driven the 135i (the car's proportions just make the car look odd to me), but, the FR-S auto is not the worst. It is definitely better than my last two cars (Acura RSX and Corolla XRS). And while they are not the benchmark in automatic transmissions, they are my frame of reference. If the auto was total crap, I would have forced myself to learn stick.

Some auto makers have even used automatics instead of sequential gearboxes (eg. Lexus LFA) for they believed that the feel is superior.
The RSX auto is actually pretty decent and you should not besmirch it's good name as the final iteration of the beloved Integra.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #59
AsianStyle

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I agree this topic has been beaten to death, but do people honestly think the auto in the twins is F1 inspired? Are you guys serious? The twins auto has a torque converter. They do not have a clutch.

Early single clutch based autos (F360 F1, smg, etc) were pretty bad, but now the dual clutch autos (pdk, dct, etc...) are great and here to stay. They are better for lazy traffic or track times, but for pure enjoyment manual is king.
AsianStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #60
Touge_ninja
Sending rods to their doo

Drives: 700HP STi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
I as well have an auto and it's a fun car. My only problem is the 3rd and 4th gear ratios are way too long.
Touge_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #61
Rabble

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I prefer my clutch in traffic
Old 10-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #62
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by E403Q View Post
I've been noticing way to many scratches on the car after driving it in the winter, not sure if polishing the car would do it any good.
Wash, clay bar, polish, wax that should deal with a few of the scratches.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #63
MrMarinakos

Drives: Asphalt Monogram Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I got an auto, Parents bought mine too (Birthday present) but mines gray/argento. I personally like auto but i wish i got manual. Didnt really have a choice since it was a surprise.
MrMarinakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #64
Whitigir
Banned

Drives: 450 awhp twin turbo vr4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarinakos View Post
I got an auto, Parents bought mine too (Birthday present) but mines gray/argento. I personally like auto but i wish i got manual. Didnt really have a choice since it was a surprise.
Lucky you! Here if I want it, I have to afford it my own. Wish I had a Birthday like your
Whitigir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #65
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Wash, clay bar, polish, wax that should deal with a few of the scratches.
Griot's makes four machine polishes, each more aggressive than the next. When I buff one of the abused relatives cars I start with most gentle and if necessary use the tougher stuff that eventually gets out almost any swirls and scratches. Then the trick is to buff your way back out to the most gentle polish in steps to remove light swirls created by the polish.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #66
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mush View Post
Lfa has dual clutch, faster gear changes than manual
They went with a single clutch to save weight.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #67
Byebye

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonia View Post
Opinion aside, here are the facts:

The automatic FRS is slower.
The gear changes are sluggish.

Here is my opinion, BASED on fact / experiences:

If you disagree on the sluggish gear changes, you haven't driven a proper steptronic.
I bought my BMW 135i in the automatic. Why? It is faster. Factually faster. Much easier to launch at the dragstrip, arguably easier to track, instant shifting, amazing amazing transmission. If the FRS had the same automatic tranny, I would have bought the auto. But I drove an automatic FRS. It's not as bad as the shifters in our Dodge Chargers that we sell, but nowhere remotely close to what I was used to in the BMW.
I dd'd a 2010 Evo MR. I chose the auto because it drove exactly the same. It too was sluggish. This car like my old MR was programmed for fuel Economy in normal mode.

In sport the gears hold long and change faster. There is no RPM drop in between shifts like a manual. Sure you can put a lot of effort to shift fast in a manual and probably not notice the difference but it's effortless in an auto.

I took mine to autocross this past weekend. Drove it in Sport auto the whole day. 1-2 shifts were same spot like the other FR-S/BRZ guys and shift feel was good without delay or "sluggishness".

At the end of the day a manual or automatic in this car isn't American fast and sure as hell not import fast. I traded in an 2011 STi and a 2010 Evo MR for this car and absolutely love it. I hated the manual I test drove.
Byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:47 AM   #68
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBRZer View Post
The RSX auto is actually pretty decent and you should not besmirch it's good name as the final iteration of the beloved Integra.
No besmirch intended, but, the reality is that as much as I loved my RSX, I love my FR-S more (especially the transmission). The only reason for selling my RSX was initially due to having kids and needing a 4 door as well as some impending major service required. As a result, I bought a Corolla.

I still remember her with fondness every time I see one her sisters.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:23 AM   #69
YMAA
Maximum puntential

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I knew before I bought the car that I'd want a manual. There was no doubt in my mind. So I ordered a 6MT BRZ to be built in Japan and shipped to the dealership without having test driven one of the twins first...risky, I know.

About a week later a buddy of mine called a local Scion dealership to see if they had a 6MT FR-S on the lot available for a test drive, and they told him that they had a 6MT Firestorm in the showroom they could take out for him to test drive...just show up and they'd take it out. So we got there, and they said they had an automatic on the lot we could test. They refused to take out the Firestorm despite what they said on the phone.

Now to be fair, neither of us were going to purchase a car that day. But to be told one thing over the phone and then find out something entirely different when we got there was a little insulting. But, we took the automatic for a spin anyway, with the salesman in the passenger seat for both our drives. In any case, both of us came to the conclusion that it wasn't a useful test drive. Neither of us could focus on driving the car because of how much we missed the manual transmission. We both hated it.

When I went to NJ to pick up my BRZ a few weeks later, as soon as I drove off the lot I knew I made the right choice. The manual was right for me.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:34 AM   #70
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDubbinTDI View Post
I like my auto because you have 3 driving modes. Regular (MPG), sport (somewhat rediculous gear holds but it does what its supposed to), and full manual which is exactly like a manual its so responsive just no clutch to fiddle with. You'll like it. Plus auto is the future, really everyone needs to get used to it lol
With a manual you have infinite driving modes, including the three you described.

Tags
children, derp, ifyoudontdrivemanualurgay, not this shit again, typical car forum thread