follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #1
c4lvinnn

Drives: Toyobaruion
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
HVAC Knob - Lit up or no?

Having a brain fart this morning and can't remember for the life of me if the HVAC temperature knob lit up like the other two knobs on the dial (when the acc lights are on). I could have sworn it did, but I don't remember for sure. The one in the red circle.

c4lvinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
Nails

Drives: 2016 FR-S (Halo MT)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yes, the spot you have circled is lit up like the other two dials.
Nails is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nails For This Useful Post:
c4lvinnn (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
c4lvinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nails View Post
Yes, the spot you have circled is lit up like the other two dials.
Well, that sucks. Guess an LED is out on the board?
Old 03-15-2017, 09:21 PM   #4
Nails

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4lvinnn View Post
Well, that sucks. Guess an LED is out on the board?
Let me qualify what I posted. There is no LED at those clear points on the dials. It is illuminated by a single bulb used for each of the two larger dials. So, if the red/blue temperature graphic on the dial is lit, the bulb is working. The stock bulbs are pretty dim, so it might not look like that clear part on the outside of the dial is lit.

Last edited by Nails; 03-15-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #5
c4lvinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nails View Post
Let me qualify what I posted. There is no LED at those clear points on the dials. It is illuminated by a single bulb used for each of the two larger dials. So, if the red/blue temperature graphic on the dial is lit, the bulb is working. The stock bulbs are pretty dim, so it might not look like that clear part on the outside of the dial is lit.
Right. I guess I should have clarified as well. The whole dial (behind the temp graphics, and the knob itself) does not light up. The only thing that lights up is the AC on/off button. That's why I swore I used to think it was lit up, but now it's not, so probably a dead bulb somewhere? I read through the changing the LED DIY guide here and not sure if I want to do mess with ALL that just to fix the light on that one (or what if the circuit on the board on that side is broken?). Or take it to the dealer and not have my car for a few days for them to fix it either, albeit under warranty. May just live with it.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
Nails

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4lvinnn View Post
Right. I guess I should have clarified as well. The whole dial (behind the temp graphics, and the knob itself) does not light up. The only thing that lights up is the AC on/off button. That's why I swore I used to think it was lit up, but now it's not, so probably a dead bulb somewhere? I read through the changing the LED DIY guide here and not sure if I want to do mess with ALL that just to fix the light on that one (or what if the circuit on the board on that side is broken?). Or take it to the dealer and not have my car for a few days for them to fix it either, albeit under warranty. May just live with it.
Yup, it sounds like that one bulb went out. I ended up doing the LED swap going by the DIY guide you mentioned. It was quite an adventure and I have become VERY familiar with the HVAC panel in the process. It doesn't take too long to take the car apart to get to the panel and the bulb would be a quick replacement using some long needle nose pliers. But, if your car is still under warranty, it would be easier to let the dealer take care of the problem. They should be able to replace the bulb in an hour or two at the most.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nails For This Useful Post:
c4lvinnn (03-16-2017)