follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-13-2022, 10:33 AM   #43
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Naturally I can't find the article, but I saw it yesterday (so the information is somewhat fresh). The article said that cars are not actually built-to-order, rather they are mass-produced in a variety of options, and distributed to dealers at random. When you place an order, it becomes possible for some orders to take a couple weeks, to a couple months, to many months.

After reading that part of the article, I thought because if you order a Porsche with painted vent slats or a McLaren with a 1-of-1 colored carbon fiber spec, you get what you pay for. I wonder if the article is more true for cars like the GR86/BRZ where you get more or less "2 options" (Base/Premium, and Premium/Limited) since the other "options" are just typical add-ons (floor mats, decales, etc) that any dealer has in stock
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:49 AM   #44
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
Did you ever get paperwork that shows the order has been placed in Subaru's system with an allocation?

I'm guessing your dealer thought they would get allocation, and just sold you the order without placing it with Subaru.
I bet this is the case with many of those folks still waiting on any news of their '22s. The dealer is putting the customer "order" against their dealership allocation which may/may not actually be delivered any time soon.

The dealership I worked with was really transparent about the process and I watched the salesman's monitor when he went into Subaru's corporate ordering system. I have a feeling many are not that straightforward with customers.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:42 PM   #45
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
I bet this is the case with many of those folks still waiting on any news of their '22s. The dealer is putting the customer "order" against their dealership allocation which may/may not actually be delivered any time soon.

The dealership I worked with was really transparent about the process and I watched the salesman's monitor when he went into Subaru's corporate ordering system. I have a feeling many are not that straightforward with customers.
Same thing for me. We went through his order screens together. I suspect you're correct that people who aren't seeing that aren't really "ordering" a car vs hoping to get an allocation.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:30 PM   #46
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFL it's Waffle View Post

After reading that part of the article, I thought because if you order a Porsche with painted vent slats or a McLaren with a 1-of-1 colored carbon fiber spec, you get what you pay for. I wonder if the article is more true for cars like the GR86/BRZ where you get more or less "2 options" (Base/Premium, and Premium/Limited) since the other "options" are just typical add-ons (floor mats, decales, etc) that any dealer has in stock
I think you're right.

I'd be willing to bet the process you describe for Porsche and McLaren is similar for most European cars. When I ordered a BMW many years ago I would get updates along the entire production process. I got notifications of when the order was submitted, a projection of which week the car was to be built, notice of when the build was completed and the VIN assigned, and so-forth to include which ship it was on and which US port it would be disembarked.

When you go to a car dealership in Europe, for any brand, you don't see massive acres of pavement and hundreds of cars. Dealerships are small and only have a few demo cars and a very small handful actually for sale. Once you figure out what you want, they then order it for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Desertnate For This Useful Post:
ROFL it's Waffle (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 03:51 PM   #47
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
I think you're right.

I'd be willing to bet the process you describe for Porsche and McLaren is similar for most European cars. When I ordered a BMW many years ago I would get updates along the entire production process. I got notifications of when the order was submitted, a projection of which week the car was to be built, notice of when the build was completed and the VIN assigned, and so-forth to include which ship it was on and which US port it would be disembarked.

When you go to a car dealership in Europe, for any brand, you don't see massive acres of pavement and hundreds of cars. Dealerships are small and only have a few demo cars and a very small handful actually for sale. Once you figure out what you want, they then order it for you.
Great point with the BMW's.. I now remember seeing some people on IG with their BMW status "on assembly line" and "on a boat".
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 06:52 PM   #48
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm shopping for a 2023 BRZ. I spoke with two dealerships today. One told me Subaru isn't taking any more orders for 2023 BRZs. The other took a deposit and told me to expect delivery in December. I'm concerned one dealer knows something the other doesn't. What do you guys have to say about this?
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:26 PM   #49
adammb86

Drives: 2023 BRZ (ETA September)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatllbuffout View Post
Got an update today on my 23'. Ordered May 5th, original estimate was October/November. Updated delivery is now August with a VIN expected anyday. He said this is due to the color I ordered, MGM. All the MGM orders were moved up. Bad news is he's seen red orders get pushed back to November if they weren't already. Sorrry if thats bad news to anyone, just passing along what I heard.
Ordered my '23 BRZ in MGM on May 6th, original estimate was September. Talked to the salesman at my dealer and he said the pipeline status hasn't changed; estimate is still September. Hopefully he's wrong and mine comes in August too!
adammb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 01:40 AM   #50
Up4speed

Drives: 2023 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
Did you ever get paperwork that shows the order has been placed in Subaru's system with an allocation?

I'm guessing your dealer thought they would get allocation, and just sold you the order without placing it with Subaru.

I placed an order with allocation in April, and just received the VIN number..
I saw his computer with the order, and my name attached. I also have a SO# which I guess is the dealers# and not Subaru's.
To be honest, I think the issue is because I ordered from a dealer that uses a distributor. They don't go straight to Subaru. Apparently, some dealers across the country operate this way. I never heard of it until now, and I've bought dozens of cars.
I noticed that others on this forum have had similar issues with buying the BRZ, so I'm thinking that they are also going through a distributor. I don't fully understand it, but it makes sense on why SOA knew nothing about my order. My brother ordered a car on the same day (Jan. 13th), and his came in a few months ago, so I think that the other posters here that mentioned that the cars being made is random, makes sense and are probably correct. I'm sure my car will come eventually, but I'm convinced that it will just be a surprise when it does (like my brothers) since my salesman, and the manager are both trying to locate a car for me, but have no control over it apparently. And they are telling me that they can't find out any info either, other than the update on their computer that says "Jan. 2023"
Up4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 02:17 AM   #51
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I'm shopping for a 2023 BRZ. I spoke with two dealerships today. One told me Subaru isn't taking any more orders for 2023 BRZs. The other took a deposit and told me to expect delivery in December. I'm concerned one dealer knows something the other doesn't. What do you guys have to say about this?
When I was trying to order my 20 tS, the first four dealerships said there was no way to order one and there was no control on where they would be allocated. The fifth took my deposit and vehicle build sheet from the Build Your Subaru site and made it happen. I don't know whether my sales person was just eager and the first four didn't care to make a sale but from what I experienced there was definitely variations in what was known by dealership.

FWIW the dealer that took my order is in the same district as at least one other dealership which I have an email that says the district manager said no local dealerships were getting any.
Old 07-15-2022, 08:52 AM   #52
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Quote:
Did you see the dealer who took your deposit actually submit it in the Subaru corporate ordering system? If not, I'd ask to see it.

When I bought my car, it started with the salesman actually logging into Subaru North America's ordering portal and attempting to submit a customer order. I saw the whole thing on his screen while he was doing it.

If Subaru isn't accepting any orders, you'll see it the moment the salesperson hits the submit button after selecting the configuration you want, maybe earlier.

In my case I was there the night they shut off the MY22 orders and the notice didn't go out to dealers until the following morning. Even then, it was quite clear what was going on. A message would show up on the screen stating the order could not be placed.

In my case, I got amazingly lucky and the dealership had access to a car which wasn't immediately available for sale. However, I got to witness the ordering process...right up to the point of the order being denied.
The Following User Says Thank You to Desertnate For This Useful Post:
Pat (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 10:22 AM   #53
Petah78

Drives: 2022 BRZ sport-tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I think the key is to get a VON (Vehicle Order Number). Unless you have that, it doesn't mean anything even if you left a deposit. I dealt with a couple dealers and my experience was:

Dealer 1. "crappy"
At the time of the leaving a deposit, i was undecided which trim i wanted. They were very relaxed about the entire thing and said i have plenty of time to decide. Just let them know when i have decided, meanwhile, i was dealing with dealer 2 which provided me with a VON so i kind of stopped following up with them. However, they never gave me a VON or followed up on the trim even after a couple months of leaving my deposit.

Dealer 2.
Same deal as dealer 1. But they were explicit as to when i have to let them know the trim. I provided the trim i wanted and they gave me a VON as soon as their order opened up the next month (apparently they get allocation monthly). The car followed the projected timelines and will arrive soon (confirmed).

My suspicion is that dealer 1 never even put my name on a car as they wanted to sell to whoever paid more. I was explicit that i will not be paying over MSRP so i bet they only wanted to keep me in their "back pocket" by taking a deposit but i feel i would have never gotten a car from them.
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 10 Acura CSX-S, 17 BRZ
Current: 22 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220
Petah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petah78 For This Useful Post:
Pat (07-15-2022), Tcoat (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 12:18 PM   #54
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Thanks for the help, guys. I just spoke with my salesperson and she confirmed the ordering system for BRZs is closed. She thought it would likely open before the end of July, and will send a VON to me as soon as it is available.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 12:44 PM   #55
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the help, guys. I just spoke with my salesperson and she confirmed the ordering system for BRZs is closed. She thought it would likely open before the end of July, and will send a VON to me as soon as it is available.
Just to clarify for you, the salesperson/dealer does NOT send you the VON.

You will receive an email directly from Subaru with your VON once the order has been placed and accepted by Subaru.

I ordered mine April 26th, and received my VON on April 28th.
Pat (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 01:52 PM   #56
hinge

Drives: 23 BRZ
I put my order in 4/13 and got my VIN today, was told that it will arrive at the port on 7/29 and expect about two weeks to delivery at the dealer.

I imagine that several others may be getting their VINs by the end of the week.
hinge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hinge For This Useful Post:
OkieSnuffBox (07-15-2022)