follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2022, 08:20 PM   #911
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingfool View Post
As mentioned the last time there was this sort of transportation backlog was WW2.
The scene is eerily similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
That Chinese zero covid policy is a whole nother thread. Insane
Yep. Like I said in my earlier dissertation the subject goes on far more than "we can't get chips" so to try and guess at what point things will level out is a total crap game. Just as one thing starts to seem to come together something else pops up.

Dadhawk (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 12:02 PM   #912
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Refreshed my dealers site and saw a GR86 in inventory. Nearly had a heart attack, quickly crestfallen to see it's a base white AT.

It appears to be available, in production but no ETA. Likely early June.

This is their second base white AT they will have moved out of 4 GR86's
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:27 PM   #913
Tcoat

Don't feel too bad guys. My wife is in moth 3 of her "1 to 3 month" wait for an Ascent. She called and they say it could be another 3 or 4 months! Apparently there is now a resin shortage for making safety glass and plastics.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:42 PM   #914
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Don't feel too bad guys. My wife is in moth 3 of her "1 to 3 month" wait for an Ascent. She called and they say it could be another 3 or 4 months! Apparently there is now a resin shortage for making safety glass and plastics.
There seems to be a shortage of almost everything on the planet. The shortage of certain chemicals for plastics and such has been on and off for a long time. On a visit to the place that I bought our hot tub looking for some chemicals, I noticed that the showroom was empty except for one spa that was slated to be delivered that week. I was told that just like the car business, they were backed up 6 to 18 months depending on what model you ordered. Whatever goes into making the shell of the spa is in short supply and because of the pandemic lockdown, people were spending money for making staying at home more tolerable. Staycation on steroids.

There is a little dry spell in any deliveries from the Subaru plant in Indiana over by us. When I went to pick up my new BRZ, I couldn't get a ride. So, I drove our Ascent to the dealer with the plan to drive the new car home and get a ride later to pick it up. A sales guy came out to see if I was trading in the car. Apparently, he had someone looking for an Ascent new or used right away. There was another sales guy heading in my direction as well, but the first one wasn't too much into the donuts and was quicker on his feet.
Old 04-28-2022, 01:52 AM   #915
drivejumpfly

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dealerships must have been notified of allocations today. I received a few phone calls about some available ones. $10K, $7K, and $5K markups across the country.
drivejumpfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drivejumpfly For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 02:17 AM   #916
kosh0r

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
Dealerships must have been notified of allocations today. I received a few phone calls about some available ones. $10K, $7K, and $5K markups across the country.
Interesting. I (live and ordered in Germany) received an email yesterday, telling me, that my "order is beeing processed". The state before (in my toyota) was "order is beeing processed"

So maybe some update, that triggered the email...
kosh0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:47 AM   #917
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
I caved and bought a BRZ instead. My watch is over! I could not be happier. Toyota really disappointed me. Their scummy dealership really turned me off. I got it at MSRP out the door.

Last edited by Liquidsnake; 04-28-2022 at 10:48 AM.
Liquidsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Liquidsnake For This Useful Post:
Decep (04-28-2022), H380 (04-28-2022), Tcoat (04-28-2022), Yoshoobaroo (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 09:04 AM   #918
Robertw

Drives: 1996 Turbo Miata
Ordering and waiting months for the car is fine, it's not that big of a deal, and totally understandable given the current situation. But what Toyota is doing is a joke, let people order the car they want, then make the car. This build request submission process, and then pray a matching allocation arrives is nonsense. I just received a call from my dealership, I put a deposit down for a red MT Premium, they have an allocation coming, base white MT. Cool.
Robertw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:17 AM   #919
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertw View Post
Ordering and waiting months for the car is fine, it's not that big of a deal, and totally understandable given the current situation. But what Toyota is doing is a joke, let people order the car they want, then make the car. This build request submission process, and then pray a matching allocation arrives is nonsense. I just received a call from my dealership, I put a deposit down for a red MT Premium, they have an allocation coming, base white MT. Cool.
Don't know about the US but in Canada they are building to orders. At least for their "regular" line up. Don't know what they are doing for the 86 since they don't actually build them. There may be some reason why they can not order specific vehicles from Subaru although I am at a loss as to what that would be.
Old 04-28-2022, 09:53 AM   #920
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Don't know about the US but in Canada they are building to orders. At least for their "regular" line up. Don't know what they are doing for the 86 since they don't actually build them. There may be some reason why they can not order specific vehicles from Subaru although I am at a loss as to what that would be.
Don't think that's what they are doing here, at least not singularly. If I search Toyota's site for Colloras I get 3,681 available "in my area", and a good percentage of them are marked "Available Now" vs later. Some are out as late as June. Unfortunately the site doesn't let you sort or filter on availability though.

It also doesn't tell you which dealer has the unit. You have to "select a dealer" and then it will send them a message whether they are the ones with the allocation or not.

All this may be a quark of Southeast Toyota franchise. I didn't try the broader US Toyota site.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 10:22 AM   #921
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
Small quibble, but even Subaru doesn't build a car based upon your specs when you "order" - at least not with the BRZ. They allocate a previously planned build meeting your specs to you. Obviously not a big deal and given the relatively small amount of actually changeable mfg. options given that there are no interior choices, it doesn't really matter. Just wanted to specify the difference between a company making a car to meet your specs (presumably happens with all the super premium cars and even BMW/Mercedes - but I don't know for sure) and what Subaru does.

But if the point is that the way Toyota does it for the 86 versus how Subaru does it for the BRZ is super frustrating, I agree. As I have noted multiple times, the only reason I was ever able to get my hands on exactly the Neptune Blue MT prem. I wanted was because I was lucky enough to have access to the employee/vendor program. Otherwise, I would still be in my 2020 BRZ or a 2022 BRZ.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 10:49 AM   #922
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
...Just wanted to specify the difference between a company making a car to meet your specs (presumably happens with all the super premium cars and even BMW/Mercedes - but I don't know for sure) and what Subaru does...
Mini Cooper makes all their cars to order, and it takes about 3 months to get one (there's a good series with James May on Amazon where he visits the plant and goes through the process).

Other manufacturers have a process for you to order a vehicle to your specs, but it may be limited to a certain number per year. Not sure how that has held up these last two years though.

Obviously, most REALLY expensive cars are built to order, and that is part of the reason they are REALLY expensive.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:00 AM   #923
Tcoat

Quote:
Small quibble, but even Subaru doesn't build a car based upon your specs when you "order" - at least not with the BRZ. They allocate a previously planned build meeting your specs to you. Obviously not a big deal and given the relatively small amount of actually changeable mfg. options given that there are no interior choices, it doesn't really matter. Just wanted to specify the difference between a company making a car to meet your specs (presumably happens with all the super premium cars and even BMW/Mercedes - but I don't know for sure) and what Subaru does.

But if the point is that the way Toyota does it for the 86 versus how Subaru does it for the BRZ is super frustrating, I agree. As I have noted multiple times, the only reason I was ever able to get my hands on exactly the Neptune Blue MT prem. I wanted was because I was lucky enough to have access to the employee/vendor program. Otherwise, I would still be in my 2020 BRZ or a 2022 BRZ.
Yes, my use of the term "built to order" was a bit deceiving. It isn't like they shut down the line and build a car just for that person. They do assign a specific car to the order though so although you will have to wait until it hits the planned production que it is your "ordered" car.
CincyJohn (04-28-2022), Rustyoid (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 11:41 AM   #924
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
This build request submission process, and then pray a matching allocation arrives is nonsense.
At least it's MT! When your car does finally come and they make the sale, make sure you give feedback to Toyota about that allocation process. I certainly will. I don't think there would be many or any real drawbacks to them going with a Subaru-type model. Their current model probably just worked fine for most back in the times of plenty.

Quote:
Small quibble, but even Subaru doesn't build a car based upon your specs when you "order" - at least not with the BRZ. They allocate a previously planned build meeting your specs to you.
Correct, and it works this way for all of their models in NA. I sorta figured it was something they could do because they were small-ish, but having learned so much about all of this now (against my will) I realize it would likely have no negative impact on production efficiency. It's totally independent of manufacturing's plans. I don't even think it would change much by way of logistics process aside from the paperwork that was done on the back end when deciding where to send each car once it hit the port.

Quote:
As I have noted multiple times, the only reason I was ever able to get my hands on exactly the Neptune Blue MT prem. I wanted was because I was lucky enough to have access to the employee/vendor program. Otherwise, I would still be in my 2020 BRZ or a 2022 BRZ.
I saw a Premium MT Neptune just hit my region in this round of allocations. Somebody out there is very happy..

Maybe all of the AT whining caught the attention of the car gods. It might be too early to tell (I'm just looking at the buyatoyota site) but most of the allocations that hit my region this round were MT, and mostly Premium MT's
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
CincyJohn (04-28-2022)