follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 12-03-2015, 04:56 PM   #12503
ConceptX

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
You guys are weird.... My engine has seen WOT every day that I've driven it, since I bought it, with 6 miles on the ODO. The engines are broken in on an engine dyno before they ever see a chassis...

What you're really "breaking in" is the clutch and brakes, not the engine. The engine doesn't care, and in fact, will break in better (rings set in and seal tighter when the cross hatch in the cylinder bores is most abrasive) if you drive it hard early in its life.

The clutch and brakes on the other hand take time to properly bed in, and the average driver doesn't or won't use the proper techniques (or rather, can't safely on a public road) to accelerate the process. So they tell you to drive the car like a ***** for 600 miles so it'll very slowly accumulate material on the friction surfaces evenly.

And don't get me started on changing your oil early, talk about old wives tales.
I'm not arguing against your point on early oil changes. As for the break-in period, you are certainly allowed to treat your new car however you'd like. Personally, I'm going to follow the owners manual, and then add a little conservatism because I'm... Well, like you said... Weird.
ConceptX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:12 PM   #12504
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZtoni View Post
no painters tape and i got too excited so i used electrical tape lol no flamers please!

Tommy Kaira Wing test fit. going to get painted and installed ASAP
Nice! Are you planning on leaving part of it black or all wrb?
Lucky that you didn't have a spoiler on there before. I wanna get the Nur spec wing but I'll either need to trade my current trunk or patch the holes some how

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #12505
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceptX View Post
I'm not arguing against your point on early oil changes. As for the break-in period, you are certainly allowed to treat your new car however you'd like. Personally, I'm going to follow the owners manual, and then add a little conservatism because I'm... Well, like you said... Weird.
Well, the owner's manual certainly isn't going to tell you the right way to break everything in, since it isn't safe to do everywhere. You need an empty backroad. So they go the conservative way, because it's safe, and they don't like lawsuits
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
ConceptX (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #12506
Figo

Drives: Vortech Supercharged FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Got something from Japan for next Spring.

( White Tiger ) - FiGo's 車誌.
Figo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #12507
Cedars
Banned

Drives: gt86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well now @Cedars, no matter how much oil you have over there, or how high the temperature or how much sand ....... I see no reason to change the oil at 1,000 miles.........

I know she is your mistress ........ but, that would be like giving her a new diamond ring because the last one you gave her got dusty ......

humfrz
It's a dealer requirement. If u don't you could void warranty. Keep rpm at 5000 max for first 1000 km then change oil and then service every 15,000 km that includes oil change. Btw how many of u guys start the car the correct way?( turn ignintion into standby mode and wait till some of the lights go off) this means that the computer has done its check, also avoid turning car on with heater or air con left on puts uneeded strain on the engine at start. I ride my mistress hard humfrz but I don't forget to bring her roses, makes the ride more enjoyable.

Sorry dealer requirement out here. When do u guys change oil over there when it's a zero km car?
Cedars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:37 PM   #12508
imaguitar

Drives: Scion FRS - Hot Lava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figo View Post
Got something from Japan for next Spring.

I saw this & thought to myself, "Wow these are super nice I want some for my car!"
*googled.
"Holy shit these are so expensive!"
imaguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:51 PM   #12509
Figo

Drives: Vortech Supercharged FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguitar View Post
I saw this & thought to myself, "Wow these are super nice I want some for my car!"
*googled.
"Holy shit these are so expensive!"
I am going to sell them for $240. Let me know if you are interested.
The original price is around 270-280.

Brand new. Never installed. Just open the box to take pictures.
Reason to sell is I think I will use the non cap one, which is cheaper, because I dont need caps to prevent stud from rusting.

This kit is REVO series, whcih means is the kit with caps and is more expensive than he regular series without caps.
This kit is Neon chrome, which is more expensive than Chrome.
This kit is with locks, being more expensive than the kit without locks.

If you can find any US seller selling exactly the same products with a lower price, let me know. I will consider the lower the price for you.

( White Tiger ) - FiGo's 車誌.
Figo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:36 PM   #12510
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,819 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars View Post
It's a dealer requirement. If u don't you could void warranty. Keep rpm at 5000 max for first 1000 km then change oil and then service every 15,000 km that includes oil change. Btw how many of u guys start the car the correct way?( turn ignintion into standby mode and wait till some of the lights go off) this means that the computer has done its check, also avoid turning car on with heater or air con left on puts uneeded strain on the engine at start. I ride my mistress hard humfrz but I don't forget to bring her roses, makes the ride more enjoyable.

Sorry dealer requirement out here. When do u guys change oil over there when it's a zero km car?
The maintenance guide for my 2013 FRS, says the first oil change should be at 7,500 miles or 7.5 months, whichever comes first.

Does your owner’s manual state to change the oil after the first 1000 ....... or is that what the dealer is telling you ..... ??

Yes, in these parts, they say they like roses, but jewelry makes then even more appreciative.........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:58 AM   #12511
Cedars
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
The maintenance guide for my 2013 FRS, says the first oil change should be at 7,500 miles or 7.5 months, whichever comes first.

Does your owner’s manual state to change the oil after the first 1000 ....... or is that what the dealer is telling you ..... ??

Yes, in these parts, they say they like roses, but jewelry makes then even more appreciative.........

humfrz
I believe it's on the owners manual, or the service book, but I most definitely need to change the oil at 1000 kms, I know it seems like a waste of money and environmentally bad but I could void my warranty if I don't do what they ask.

Regarding jewlery you don't want to spoil them too much, if you just give them roses and perfume it'll keep them on their toes and try harder to please.....
Old 12-04-2015, 03:16 AM   #12512
imaguitar

Drives: Scion FRS - Hot Lava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figo View Post
I am going to sell them for $240. Let me know if you are interested.
The original price is around 270-280.

Brand new. Never installed. Just open the box to take pictures.
Reason to sell is I think I will use the non cap one, which is cheaper, because I dont need caps to prevent stud from rusting.

This kit is REVO series, whcih means is the kit with caps and is more expensive than he regular series without caps.
This kit is Neon chrome, which is more expensive than Chrome.
This kit is with locks, being more expensive than the kit without locks.

If you can find any US seller selling exactly the same products with a lower price, let me know. I will consider the lower the price for you.

Man, now I'm just curious as to why these lug nuts are SO expensive! Like, what exactly makes them cost this much money..

& just out of curiosity, why do you not need caps to prevent your studs from rusting? Do you have some kind of special studs on your car too? lol
imaguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to imaguitar For This Useful Post:
Figo (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 03:39 AM   #12513
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
I believe it's on the owners manual, or the service book, but I most definitely need to change the oil at 1000 kms, I know it seems like a waste of money and environmentally bad but I could void my warranty if I don't do what they ask.

Regarding jewlery you don't want to spoil them too much, if you just give them roses and perfume it'll keep them on their toes and try harder to please.....
That honestly sounds like utter bullshit to me. Not intended towards you, though.

Can you give us a summary of your manual? Like a cellphone pic of this 1000km oil change?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
johan (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 03:58 AM   #12514
Brypham

Drives: Halo 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Photoshoot

Old 12-04-2015, 04:01 AM   #12515
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,819 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:

Well, I suggest you do whatever the service manual says or what the dealer (I suggest you talk with the service manager) recommends. Changing oil after the first 1000 km won't hurt anything.

You have a good point about the roses and perfume.

I reckon chocolate and nylons don't work anymore .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:22 AM   #12516
Cedars
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
That honestly sounds like utter bullshit to me. Not intended towards you, though.

Can you give us a summary of your manual? Like a cellphone pic of this 1000km oil change?
Ok I will, glove compartment is one of those places I go to very rarely, but this is the standard here, that first 1000 km is very important for the engine and it is a free oil change and service anyway. Maybe oil change in general is a myth created by oil companies, bit like fighting alternative energy or medicine companies saying that chemo is the only cure for cancer, I think if they changed the structure if oil they could make an oil that hardly needs to be changed, but thats not in their interest. Its ok to poison the earth as long as their pockets are full kind of thing.

Tags
:popcorn:, :popcorn: funny tags, nsfc, rice rice baby