follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #1
RBenz13
Custom User Title

Drives: '13 SWP MT BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need Guidance: Two-color Footwell Lighting

Background: '13 BRZ Limited, no factory footwell lighting, push-button start.

Simply put, here's what I'd like to do:

* White light upon approach, with doors open, and when dome light is on.

* Red light when ignition is on and interior illumination is active (I.E.: cluster lights are on).

* White light activity interrupts (overrides) red light activity. So if the lady turns on the dome light while I'm driving at night, the white footwell lights come on and red turns off.

* OEM Dimmer-controlled red lighting. I can turn them down or off with the regular ol' dimmer switch.

Are my aspirations too high? I've seen this done in Mercedes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
RBenz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:08 PM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
the red light is easy. in fact i have the oem version... somewhere... i pulled it off because i left colored footwell lighting in my first car in early 2000.

the oem version taps off the hvac input connector, i've always assumed off the illumination circuit, but never really looked into it.

as far as making the white priority, i would probably use a SPDT relay to handle that duty, powered and switched through the dome light bulb pins. wire the red through the NC contacts. though on second thought, it might need to be transistor-based switching, as the oem dome circuit has a fade-out dimming circuit, and that will make the relay chatter.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:27 PM   #3
Go Frogs

Drives: '19 WRX Base in Lapis Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBenz13 View Post
  • White light upon approach, with doors open, and when dome light is on.
  • Red light when ignition is on and interior illumination is active (I.E.: cluster lights are on).
  • White light activity interrupts (overrides) red light activity. So if the lady turns on the dome light while I'm driving at night, the white footwell lights come on and red turns off.
  • OEM Dimmer-controlled red lighting. I can turn them down or off with the regular ol' dimmer switch.
you didn't explain how the light will be used and where it will be located/placed. I assume it will be of the LED type or were you going to use EL wire or CCLTs?

Will the two colors live in the same locations next to each other; thus the reason for switching back and forth?

will your red light be footwell, or overhead, or at torso level?

if the red lights are on when the lady puts on the overhead (white) light, why does the red light have to go away? Is light coming from two different angles/sources or the same source (see first question)?

It's such a small cabin, how much light would you possible need?

If the red lighting will be footwell, will the light be under the dash or under the seats?

I'm sure it is doable, but it might be a tall order to tackle. I'd just leave them on different circuits and treat them as different circuits, but I am a person that likes simple.

Dear SoA, what petition do I need to sign to bring the LeVorg 2.0t 6spd to North America?
Go Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
RBenz13
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Frogs View Post
...the LED type or were you going to use EL wire or CCLTs?

Will the two colors live in the same locations next to each other; thus the reason for switching back and forth?

will your red light be footwell, or overhead, or at torso level?

if the red lights are on when the lady puts on the overhead (white) light, why does the red light have to go away? Is light coming from two different angles/sources or the same source (see first question)?

It's such a small cabin, how much light would you possible need?

If the red lighting will be footwell, will the light be under the dash or under the seats?
Well, as to reasoning: It's a more premium look. White to further light the interior when white light is needed to see/find things, red light to further accent the interior when the other interior lighting is illuminated. I don't want either of them to be blindingly bright and what I absolutely don't want is MORE/BRIGHTER white light from the dome light.

I'm thinking two LED strips (one white, one red) per footwell, under the dash, both facing about a 30-45* angle from directly down towards the person's feet. I'd assume both would need to be on separate circuits, with the red lighting linked to the interior "night" lighting and the white linked specifically to the dome lighting.

I understand that this may seem like a bit of work for minimal gains, but it's also the small touches that make the difference to me, so I'm hoping maybe someone has seen/understands a way that this may work.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #5
soundman98

as i said, you'll likely need a transistor-based switchback circuit to accomplish this, as the oem dome light has a fade-out feature that would make any relay-based switchback circuit chatter annoyingly.
RBenz13 (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #6
RBenz13
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
as i said, you'll likely need a transistor-based switchback circuit to accomplish this, as the oem dome light has a fade-out feature that would make any relay-based switchback circuit chatter annoyingly.
So then if I were to just make these both additional, but separate additions to what's already in place...it shouldn't cause issues, right? I mean, I'd just basically be "tapping into" already existing wiring and adding a light.

The only thing I'd lose in doing it that way is the "interrupt" feature, which is minimal.

Edit: Nevermind, I see your point now.

Last edited by RBenz13; 12-10-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:25 PM   #7
soundman98

yes, that would be a much easier implementation of the idea.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #8
RBenz13
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
yes, that would be a much easier implementation of the idea.
Okay, so my next question is: what is the best place to tap into those two loops? I'd rather not take the entire dash and a-pillar apart just to get to two wires and a ground.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #9
soundman98

the a-pillars come off really easy, so it's really not bad. because the dome light has mechanical on/off/disable switching, the only place to get the dome light output is on the bulb holder of the dome light.

you could tie into the door courtesy lights, but that will only work with ignition/door activation, so if you manually turn on the light, the floor lights won't come on. but this would be fine for me, as i never change the light settings..

as far as the red lights, anywhere the illumination circuit exists can be tied into-- i always change the radio's in my cars, so i always find the adapter harness to be the easiest to get the illumination circuit from if needed.
RBenz13 (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #10
Aipex8

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 860 Special Edition
I have my footwells set up this way. I don't have any kind of interrupt, I just chose dimmer reds for nights and very bright white for door open. The whites drown out the reds when both are on and you can't see the red. The reds also don't dim, but I did use a color switching set then hid the knob under the dash, so I can change color if I want, and it has a button to switch between two brightness. The whites don't have any options.

Reds are just using an add-a-circuit on the illumination fuse. The whites are tapped into the dome so they mimic exactly what the dome does when the door is open.
Aipex8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aipex8 For This Useful Post:
RBenz13 (12-16-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 08:50 PM   #11
BRZ.604

Drives: Project BRZ
I have done this to my car. The wire I tapped to is PIN# 7 on the left side of the dash.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zq7...NHpz3dY2R/view
BRZ.604 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZ.604 For This Useful Post:
RBenz13 (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 02:42 AM   #12
RBenz13
Custom User Title

See now, this is why I love forums.

Thanks my brethren!

Old 12-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #13
Go Frogs

Drives: '19 WRX Base in Lapis Blue
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBenz13 View Post
See now, this is why I love forums. Thanks my brethren!
Did you or have you ever seen a VW W8 Passat's overhead dome light console? Search "VW W8 Overhead console" to see what I am talking about.

In the console were two red LEDs that aimed down to the shifter/center console area of the W8. This feature was also on some Audis, but the W8 console was OEM for the VW world and a premium feature.

This overhead console part was interchangeable among many different VW models (Mk4 GTIs/Jettas, R32s, etc) and was a pricey swap ($150+) to gain two red overhead LEDs. [light up sunroof knob not included]

It was a useful feature as it cast nice useable red glow on the area around the shifter/center console/radio and was a big hit with the ladies.

Do you think installing some red LEDs in the overhead console, similar to the W8 (not the actual dome lights) would help with finding stuff at night?

Bonus points at a GTG or car show?

The below information is merely a guide and does not translate directly to a twin as all the information for the addition of overhead LEDs is for a VW; but the installation theory should be similar [with different color wires].

This is the thread from the VW world for loose guidance on adding homemade overhead LEDs.

Tools Potentially Needed
  • Phillips Screwdriver
  • Flathead Screwdriver
  • Small Flathead Screwdriver
  • Trim removal tool
  • Drill
  • Drill Bits (Ranging in size from 3/32" to 1/4")
  • Wire Strippers (Use of this is not covered by this DIY)
  • Soldering Iron (Optional. Use of this is not covered by this DIY)
  • Dremel w.cutting wheel (could make things easier)

Parts Needed
  • 1-Overhead Console
  • 2- 5mm Red Pre-Wired LED's
  • Electrical Connectors or Solder and Heat Shrink Tubing (depending on how you wire them up.

Example of LEDs:

I am not claiming this will work. I am trying to offer a different solution and possibly a first for the BRZ/FRS/86 community.

Let us know how everything turns out once you get your project installed.

Dear SoA, what petition do I need to sign to bring the LeVorg 2.0t 6spd to North America?
Go Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:49 PM   #14
RBenz13
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ.604 View Post
I have done this to my car. The wire I tapped to is PIN# 7 on the left side of the dash.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zq7...NHpz3dY2R/view
Finally got around to doing this...do you have a picture of which connector this is, specifically? There are approximately 2,597 wire clusters on the "left side of dash", lol...halp.