follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #85
xc0xbc

Drives: Raven Fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Have the Perrin silicone inlet tube + drop in. Gonna duck tape the airbox resonator off from the inside tonight to see if i can tell any diff. If I can maybe I'll drill the rivets. ...lol duck tape
xc0xbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #86
NickFRS

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
I simply cut it off and closed it! And yes I had the silicone on before I did this. And it's currently a port type nameless cat-back. I get my overpipe/downpipe on tomorrow then a tune. I'll take pictures tomorrow after the tune and post by the PM. Also got 32 AVG MPG driving from gladstone oregon to seattle washington n back total! Was amazed!!!
NickFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #87
vtmike

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFRS View Post
I simply cut it off and closed it! And yes I had the silicone on before I did this. And it's currently a port type nameless cat-back. I get my overpipe/downpipe on tomorrow then a tune. I'll take pictures tomorrow after the tune and post by the PM. Also got 32 AVG MPG driving from gladstone oregon to seattle washington n back total! Was amazed!!!
Interesting, I wasn't aware nameless had a full cat-back. Did they come up with a mid-pipe that makes power.

I know works is claiming their mid-pipe that connects to the stock axleback location makes 6 HP but I'm skeptical of their claims.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
vtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #88
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc0xbc View Post
Have the Perrin silicone inlet tube + drop in. Gonna duck tape the airbox resonator off from the inside tonight to see if i can tell any diff. If I can maybe I'll drill the rivets. ...lol duck tape
Good Thinking :happy0180: i might give that a go myself... my fa20club intake ships tomorrow though so i may just get lazy
Old 02-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #89
NickFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc0xbc View Post
Also keep in mind the engine bay looks 100% better with the resonator gone.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #90
NickFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
Interesting, I wasn't aware nameless had a full cat-back. Did they come up with a mid-pipe that makes power.

I know works is claiming their mid-pipe that connects to the stock axleback location makes 6 HP but I'm skeptical of their claims.

It's their prototype 3in to dual 2in exhaust they are not putting into production. It weighs quite a bit but does make more power. The power it makes to the weight of the exhaust probe isn't worth it. But I like it! Since i'm local I took it off their hands. Also the cost to actually make this exhaust due to the extra materials is quite a bit and the average owner wouldn't want to spend that much. Also that is true 100% correct data on their axel back. Trust me they have made lots of different types of exhausts for this car and they are selling the exhaust that makes the most power for the best cost to the customer. This shop only thinks about their customers and the performance of the car. They simply aren't wiping out one design showing gains then being like okay community this is our final product have at it and give me your money! The biggest gain you will get from the car is a Overpipe/downpipe with headers. Just remember there is always the bottle neck effect.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #91
vtmike

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
It's their prototype 3in to dual 2in exhaust they are not putting into production. It weighs quite a bit but does make more power. The power it makes to the weight of the exhaust probe isn't worth it. But I like it! Since i'm local I took it off their hands. Also the cost to actually make this exhaust due to the extra materials is quite a bit and the average owner wouldn't want to spend that much. Also that is true 100% correct data on their axel back. Trust me they have made lots of different types of exhausts for this car and they are selling the exhaust that makes the most power for the best cost to the customer. This shop only thinks about their customers and the performance of the car. They simply aren't wiping out one design showing gains then being like okay community this is our final product have at it and give me your money! The biggest gain you will get from the car is a Overpipe/downpipe with headers. Just remember there is always the bottle neck effect.
Oh okay. I have no doubt about nameless and am going to stick with them for all of my exhaust. I hope my axleback gets here some time this week.

I was just saying I'm skeptical of Works stuff. Can't take any of their products seriously considering their hp claims for their filter.

vtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vtmike For This Useful Post:
NickFRS (02-26-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #92
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Wow!
These past 88 posts has been a plethora of auto geeks vs aero geeks vs thermodynamics geeks to I don't know what. What a thread, it 's like I was back in college taking 16 math credits in one semester. I forgot what the thread was all about. Oh Yeah - a scoop.

Should I take the dog out for a walk (with the pooper scooper) or to the freezer for a scoop of I scream.
The Subaru engineers must be having a field reading this thread.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRZfan For This Useful Post:
Acid18 (05-05-2013), Silver86 (02-28-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #93
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZfan View Post
Wow!
These past 88 posts has been a plethora of auto geeks vs aero geeks vs thermodynamics geeks to I don't know what. What a thread, it 's like I was back in college taking 16 math credits in one semester. I forgot what the thread was all about. Oh Yeah - a scoop.

Should I take the dog out for a walk (with the pooper scooper) or to the freezer for a scoop of I scream.
The Subaru engineers must be having a field reading this thread.
Take one of these for the dog, it will be perfect for getting the really big ones without slowing down!

sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sierra For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (02-25-2013), Turdinator (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #94
Panda Grahams

Drives: '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
Take one of these for the dog, it will be perfect for getting the really big ones without slowing down!

I want.
Panda Grahams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #95
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Anyone know how to remove that resonator box without hacking it up? It is held on by some wierd... rivets? I don't know how to undo them.
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:07 AM   #96
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
Anyone know how to remove that resonator box without hacking it up? It is held on by some wierd... rivets? I don't know how to undo them.
They look like special pop rivets designed for that specific job.
I would take that part right off and have a look from the inside too. They look to be typical rivets where the shaft shears off to seal the centre. If they are you will have to drill the middle out so the 2 halves come apart to get them out.
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #97
xc0xbc

Drives: Raven Fr-s
Quote:
Also keep in mind the engine bay looks 100% better with the resonator gone.
Yea I cant tell any diff after 15 miles....ill just wait till i get the perrin cai to remove it.
xc0xbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #98
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,129 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
drill out the middle and then crush the rivet with a clamp.

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote