follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 09-13-2023, 03:51 PM   #15
Killerbee

Drives: GR86 / Supra MK5 MT / MR-S / Z4
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
some updates. Had to wait a bit until the coilovers have settled, to properly see where i was rubbing and what to do to get rid of it.
I lowered the car to the max legal height (which is 40mm lower thant stock) and the coilovers also settled for another 8mm after that - which was way to low with the current wheel/tire setup.

This resulted in Rubbing in the front and rear equally

Front:

Rear

So I have now adjusted the high front/rear to about 35mm lower than stock, aswell as added some camber in the front (about -1.3ish) which did the trick.

Its still funny to see how tight the new GR86 is when compared to the GT86. The GT86 had way more space in the wheel arches.

Anyways, this is how the car currently looks.

Next up will be the installation of the TRD kit early next Week
Killerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Killerbee For This Useful Post:
KMA KiCKz (09-14-2023), new2subaru (09-13-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 06:39 PM   #16
Killerbee

Today the TRD Kit has been installed.

The Quality of the kit is amazing (not that much of a surprise as its OEM anyways), installation instructions came with pictures so you dont need to understand japanese, and fittment was spot on.

As expected the dual single tip Exhaust is a bit lost in the rear bumper now, as its meant to work with the dual double tip TRD Exhaust. I'm currently checking on options what to do, but probably will go Quad Exhaust too (just not sure how/what).

Car sits pretty low now with the kit, about 10cm off the ground on its lowes point - which is even lover than my MK5 Supra on coils (which is about 11cm)
Happy for me, Switzerland usually has good roads so its not that much of an issue, but I probably will raise the rear another cm or so just to be sure (the rear quarter of the sideskirts is really low to the ground)

Overall I'm very happy how the kit transformed the car. Next is now getting it street legal over here - which means I have to get alot of certification and stuff that will cost me more than the actual kit did. We will know in about a week if I was successfull or not

I leave you some pictures now of how Wingo looks today

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Killerbee For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (09-29-2023), KMA KiCKz (09-20-2023), MrSkubi (09-20-2023), new2subaru (09-20-2023), RToyo86 (11-05-2023), villainous_frx (09-20-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 02:33 AM   #17
MrSkubi

Drives: 17 BRZ ,21 GR Yaris, 23 GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Nice. I appreciate the commitment of doing this kit in EU and especially your country.
MrSkubi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrSkubi For This Useful Post:
Killerbee (09-20-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 04:36 PM   #18
KMA KiCKz
Certified Wumbologist

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Beautifully executed, keep up the amazing build

TRD | Brembo | RAYS
KMA KiCKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KMA KiCKz For This Useful Post:
Killerbee (09-20-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 04:32 PM   #19
Killerbee

Just a quick update:
I got the full Kit certified yesterday and it meets all regulations to run it streetlegal in my country. Thats like 95% done and almost sure I wont have any issues in getting it registered into the carpapers (however there is always a small chance they will not like any combination of kit, wheels, coilovers or whatever, so its not yet 100% safe)

Anyways, I got all the papers/certificates I need now, so next up is the final appointment with our Department of Transportation to get it all entered into the carpapers (which will be in about 10 days from now)
Old 09-28-2023, 04:38 PM   #20
Killerbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSkubi View Post
Nice. I appreciate the commitment of doing this kit in EU and especially your country.

Thank you - While my primary motivation for this whole thing is to create my dreamcar (I fell in love with this kit the first time I saw it in 2021), it also turned into me giving a giant "fuck you" to all local tuners in my country I asked if they want to work with me in doing this. (and I would have paid for everything ofc) They all said "no, way to much effort, we are not interessted". So I thought "yeah fuck you guys, I'll do it myself then"

funny enough 2 have already asked me if I'm willing to sell my certification papers to them after they found out I started to work on this projects. My answer was "no, way to much effort, I'm not interessted" - worth all the money I dumped into this project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Killerbee For This Useful Post:
MrSkubi (09-29-2023), villainous_frx (09-28-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 02:29 AM   #21
MrSkubi

Drives: 17 BRZ ,21 GR Yaris, 23 GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
funny enough 2 have already asked me if I'm willing to sell my certification papers to them after they found out I started to work on this projects. My answer was "no, way to much effort, I'm not interessted" - worth all the money I dumped into this project
Haha I bet that was the best feeling ever after all that effort
MrSkubi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrSkubi For This Useful Post:
Killerbee (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 03:31 AM   #22
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Looks very aggressive and angular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
Killerbee (09-29-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 03:27 PM   #23
Killerbee

Sorry for the late update here, I was busy the past few weeks with making the car road legal aswell as having some holidays :-)

For the ones that dont care about specifics:
TLDR: Failed the first test due to rubbing on the inner Fenderliner - removed inner Fenderliner, passed 2nd Test - happy

Longer Version:

Some context for ppl not aware how shitty europe laws are on cartuning (and swiss in particular):
We need to get any changes to the car verified by our local goverment facility for cars (like the DMV or whatever its called in the US) So any changes to Wheels, tires, suspension, aerodynamics, spacers etc needs certification from the manufacturer, needs to meet certain legal specs, and will be checked by the goverment if it all fits together on the car. And yes, there are super annyingly nitpicking about it - to a degree where its infuriating.

So my first try to get everything registered within the carpapers went ok, but not fully successfull. To my surprise the Aerokit was not an issue (probably due to me getting very strong certification for it from one of the 2 company's in switzerland who are accepted by the goverment) However Suspension in combination with wheels/tires was not ok to them.
Short version: It did rub ever so slightly under full lock when you were doing a donut like a retard (basically driving like 40ish kmh/30mph and put full load on it while hitting a slight bump on the road) - It did very slightly rub on the inner fenderliner (so the plastic but). Honestly even with my test driving very spirited on shitty montain pass roads in the alps I did not make the car rub (and I was driving it very hard) so it was kind of a surprise to me. Anyways - rubbing = big nono, so I failed the test.

A bit pissed off I took the car home again, and was checking what I could to to fix it. Now I could just have raised the car a bit again, but since they will enter the ride-hight into the carpapers, this would mean I would be stuck at that hight and not be able to lower it again afterwards (without making it illegal again) - So that was not an option - specially cause the way I drive the car I will not rub with current hight.

Checking the inner Fenderliner I noticed all the way on the inside mild rubbing, but getting rid of that would have meant extensive work on the fenderliner, which again I was not willing to do.

So after thinking about it, I came up with the only logical solution - just remove the inner fenderliner completly - I mean, if its not there, you cannot rub on it, right?
Also, they do not note in the carpapers if the inner fenderliner is there or not, so I can always add it again in later (modified, or some custom made one or whatever).

So I went again last week to get it tested again - it obviously did not rub on the non existing inner fenderliner - so I got a passed and I'm good now.

Next up is to fix the Exhaust system as its still a bit lost in there with only 2x120mm Tailpipes. I will probably go for 4x100mm Tailpipes, but this needs some modifications to the rear muffler aswell. I should have more info on that in the next 2-3 weeks
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Killerbee For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-11-2024), new2subaru (11-08-2023), Spuds (11-04-2023), villainous_frx (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 07:10 PM   #24
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Would wheel spacers solve your rub?
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 08:54 PM   #25
Killerbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
Would wheel spacers solve your rub?

Sadly no - it would push the wheels outside of the wheel arches which would 1) rub then on the actual fender and 2)would also not be legal here as the wheels need to be inside the wheel arches.

Its not that big of a deal as it is currently as I will just either mount the inner fenderliner again and be done with it, or make something custom. I dont plan on driving without inner fenderliner for a longer time (right now its anyways getting winter and the car sits in a warm place unless I need to move it to get work done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Killerbee For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (11-06-2023)
Old 01-11-2024, 06:39 AM   #26
Killerbee

Took way longer than expected (they delivered first the wrong endtips, and taking ages to send replacement, then snow/winter happened and what not) but finally the custom exhaust tips are now finished.

Its -2°C currently so I was not able to drive much or take proper pictures, but this is what it looks like right now. I'll be taking proper pictures once weather gets warmer again

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Killerbee For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-11-2024), new2subaru (01-11-2024), villainous_frx (01-12-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 10:07 AM   #27
vindiesel

Drives: 2023 brz limited 6mt red
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Can someone differentiate between a build and a bolt on affair? I could change my shift knob and consider it a build and it’s “built.”
Old 01-13-2024, 12:19 PM   #28
Killerbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindiesel View Post
Can someone differentiate between a build and a bolt on affair? I could change my shift knob and consider it a build and it’s “built.”

Damn, whats up with your bitterness?

I'd consider custom welding done to the exhaust system different from changing a shift knob, but Idk, maybe your elitism has different standards. Either way, if you dont like what you see here there is always the choice to just move along.

But thanks for your nice comment