follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Reggaeboyz

Drives: Mazdaspeed 3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Test Drive

So I'm flying back home tonight from school and I was going to see if I could schedule a test drive with one of the local Subaru dealerships while I'm home for spring break and I just wanted to get an idea of how it usually goes. So if you guys wouldn't mind sharing your experience when it came to test driving and talking with a salesman I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, how open were they to a test drive for you? Was there anything needed?And is there anything one should look out for?
Reggaeboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
sklimo
Banned

Drives: 2013 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Thanked 12,901 Times in 5,671 Posts
Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggaeboyz View Post
So I'm flying back home tonight from school and I was going to see if I could schedule a test drive with one of the local Subaru dealerships while I'm home for spring break and I just wanted to get an idea of how it usually goes. So if you guys wouldn't mind sharing your experience when it came to test driving and talking with a salesman I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, how open were they to a test drive for you? Was there anything needed?And is there anything one should look out for?

I called and scheduled a test drive. She was ready for me when I got there. Simple copy of my license and we were off. Then when I got back I new I had to have her so I bought it!! LOL
sklimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Ponwh

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Depending on a dealership, they may or may not let you test drive. If they feel like you have no potential of buying it, probably wont, but all dealerships are different. (Not really), Also look out for handling, thats the #1 feature on this car.
Ponwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I went inside the dealership ready to buy, they didnt let me test drive it though. Maybe because they thought I was just there for a joyride, I can tell from their faces. Depends on the dealership, all the ones I've been to have not let me test drive at all, Scion might be a little more forgiving seeing as how they get more of these cars than Subaru does.

They(Subaru) did tell me that if I wanted a test drive, then I have to put in a $500 deposit first to show them I am in there to buy and not just joy ride. In the end, I still didnt get a test drive, assholes.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
overlookedx

Drives: 2015 WRB Limited
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Scion dealership near me was really chill about a test drive. When I went to look at the 3 FR-S they had just gotten in, they were really busy, so I couldn't find a salesman to help me. But I got some guy from the service department to find me one I could test drive. He wedged himself in the back and texted the whole time, pretty much only looking up when I got it above 5k so he could say "Yeah, now you're driving it."
Old 03-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
The first time that i've ever driven a BRZ was on the day that i took delivery. Before that, i never test driven one because there was no BRZ available in any dealerships for me to even look at. Heck i didn't even test drive an FRS.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
Reggaeboyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlookedx View Post
"Yeah, now you're driving it."
Lol...
Old 03-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
Reggaeboyz

Subaru doesn't have a college grad rebate like Scion, right? Cause I know Scion encourages students to buy their cars, do you guy think Subaru does the same? Cause it seems like they only give you good service if you have all 30k in a briefcase.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggaeboyz For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
automatic

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggaeboyz View Post
Subaru doesn't have a college grad rebate like Scion, right? Cause I know Scion encourages students to buy their cars, do you guy think Subaru does the same? Cause it seems like they only give you good service if you have all 30k in a briefcase.
Subaru Canada has a $750 rebate I took advantage of. If you're within x months of graduating or graduated within 2 years you qualify.
automatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
raphy

Drives: whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I jumped in turned the nannies off and went out alone (lucky me) came back and ordered one...now the wait continues
raphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
GregV

Drives: Kia Stinger GT2
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenshuo View Post
The first time that i've ever driven a BRZ was on the day that i took delivery. Before that, i never test driven one because there was no BRZ available in any dealerships for me to even look at. Heck i didn't even test drive an FRS.
Same here. Had a deposit down at the dealership and still couldn't drive the one demo car they had come through from SOA, only sit in it.

The one I bought was the first the dealership received, so my test drive was the drive home with it.
GregV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
mikalem

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Started my search last June/July - none of the subbie dealerships had a free one in my area - I had to beg borrow and steal just to get to sit in one that was already spoken for, just to make sure I fit (I'm 6'3). After that, found out the Scion dealership down the street had a auto in stock they were letting out for a test drive - fell in love and went back to Subaru to order mine - kinda liked they were protective of other buyer's cars already spoken for. Good luck on the test drive, you should enjoy it
mikalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
jonathonb15

Drives: Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Scion would not let me test drive because I won't be able to purchase for a few months. But Subaru let me test drive a brz in the parking lot because it hadn't been through a post delivery inspection yet. Going in for a full test drive tomorrow.

I love the seating position and the gear box. Can't wait for a full test drive. I'm already in love with the car lol.
jonathonb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
racecaresuaceb

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
NJ and NYC dealerships do NOT let you test drive BRZ's (and STI's).

From my experience, MI, IL & upstate NY dealers didn't mind me asking for test drives.

Double and triple check with the dealers before spending your time.
racecaresuaceb is offline   Reply With Quote