follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #1
MajorMercyFlush

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 GTS PP - Moon Slate
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Openflash calibration id doesn't match car details

Ok, so I've been lurking here for about 9 months since I got my 86 and have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can answer. This is the first car I've ever worked on after nearly 30 years of driving. I'm Australian and I've owned a UC Torana and 7 Holden Commodores and never felt the need to touch them myself. Never had the time among other things. This is the first time owning a car like this but Holden went tits up and I saw this and fell in love instantly. Moon Slate is a hell of a color. I'm not for lack of a better word, fucking retarded, I'm capable I just don't have specific knowledge. I've already replaced the headers and exhaust myself, changed out all the lights (except headlights because I can't decide) including opening and soldering the 4th brake light to make it behave the way I want. So I'm building some knowledge up and am really enjoying the experience.

I've reached the point where I've flashed a Stage 2+ tune (I have cat-less headers) and this is where I now have many questions but the first place to start is with this one.

I have an Australian Toyota 86 2017 GTS AT PP. It had one previous owner who was a middle aged woman and it was her company car. No one has messed around with it and it only had 20k on the odo. When I bought the openflash tablet I gave them the car info and unless I'm missing something it looks like that corresponds to cal id ZA1JK01I (MY2017 EU 6AT). When I hooked up the tablet it detects as ZA1JN00W (MY2018 EA 6AT), again unless I'm missing something that's not right.

Can anyone explain why that might be and if it is an issue I should be concerned about?

The second question is something I need to fix (?) pretty quick and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I installed the cat back exhaust first (the headers hadn't arrived and I couldn't wait) and flashed a Stage 1 tune and noticed a behavior after my first long drive that afternoon. I had read here that you needed to put a few hundred km down after tune to get everything to even out. So after I tuned it and a couple of laps around the block to make sure it wasn't going to drop its guts I took it for 100km drive. Everything seemed good. On the first cold start it barked away as the cold start does but when I dropped in it into reverse after idling for maybe 10-15 seconds it instantly went to around 3000 rpm and I nearly shot down the driveway. My wife was standing right next to the engine and I'm still trying to clean the shit off the garage walls. After a couple of seconds it dropped to 800-1000 and was normal just as if it was fully warmed up.

I flashed back to stock and no drama, back to stage one, put some km on and the same behavior.

I put the headers on a few days ago and flashed stage 2+ and exactly the same thing but now when it revs like that the neighbors curtains start to twitch.

Thinking maybe despite my previous comment I was retarded and a few nuts and bolts had bested me, I took it to an exhaust shop but they said there was no problem as far as that goes.

I can't afford to always leave it warm up before I drive it, and now with the headers on she's a loud little beastie.

Am I just completely missing something? Am I retarded? Is this how my car is now?

cheers
MajorMercyFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:15 PM   #2
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,059 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Simply put, the tune you are trying to use is pure sh*t. Really just this simple

Since you have a Restyling, you're Aussie and you have an automatic I suggest you start over with a new tune for your car with @steve99 who is really great
or wayne who also has an automatic

Do not trust Openflash tunes for restyling and automatic cars
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:34 PM   #3
elBarto

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorMercyFlush View Post
When I bought the openflash tablet I gave them the car info and unless I'm missing something it looks like that corresponds to cal id ZA1JK01I (MY2017 EU 6AT). When I hooked up the tablet it detects as ZA1JN00W (MY2018 EA 6AT), again unless I'm missing something that's not right.
That's normal, OpenFlash tunes are internally modified. All of the tunes use the Euro Roms, since these are defined the best and have Launch Control, Flat Foot Shifting and FlexFuel (only for MT up to 2016).
Every 2012-2016 MT is an A01G, every AT is A01I
Every 2017+ MT is an K00G and every AT is K01I.
The OFT links to your car using the VINnr and CalId.
Every rom has 3 points where the CalId is being used. OFT uses the first 2 to write (and check of it's the correct tune) and nr3 is used to identify the real ROM.

Can't help you with the second part of the post since I have only experience with flashing MT's (and 1 2013 AT). The 2017 MT I flashed did behave normally, but I tweaked that rom a little bit.

You can look at Wayne's Roms, he's AT owner himself and been tuning since 2014.
You can also contact @steve99, guy knows more about the ECU than Subaru.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:14 PM   #4
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ok, so I've been lurking here for about 9 months since I got my 86 and have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can answer. This is the first car I've ever worked on after nearly 30 years of driving. I'm Australian and I've owned a UC Torana and 7 Holden Commodores and never felt the need to touch them myself. Never had the time among other things. This is the first time owning a car like this but Holden went tits up and I saw this and fell in love instantly. Moon Slate is a hell of a color. I'm not for lack of a better word, fucking retarded, I'm capable I just don't have specific knowledge. I've already replaced the headers and exhaust myself, changed out all the lights (except headlights because I can't decide) including opening and soldering the 4th brake light to make it behave the way I want. So I'm building some knowledge up and am really enjoying the experience.

I've reached the point where I've flashed a Stage 2+ tune (I have cat-less headers) and this is where I now have many questions but the first place to start is with this one.

I have an Australian Toyota 86 2017 GTS AT PP. It had one previous owner who was a middle aged woman and it was her company car. No one has messed around with it and it only had 20k on the odo. When I bought the openflash tablet I gave them the car info and unless I'm missing something it looks like that corresponds to cal id ZA1JK01I (MY2017 EU 6AT). When I hooked up the tablet it detects as ZA1JN00W (MY2018 EA 6AT), again unless I'm missing something that's not right.

Can anyone explain why that might be and if it is an issue I should be concerned about?

The second question is something I need to fix (?) pretty quick and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I installed the cat back exhaust first (the headers hadn't arrived and I couldn't wait) and flashed a Stage 1 tune and noticed a behavior after my first long drive that afternoon. I had read here that you needed to put a few hundred km down after tune to get everything to even out. So after I tuned it and a couple of laps around the block to make sure it wasn't going to drop its guts I took it for 100km drive. Everything seemed good. On the first cold start it barked away as the cold start does but when I dropped in it into reverse after idling for maybe 10-15 seconds it instantly went to around 3000 rpm and I nearly shot down the driveway. My wife was standing right next to the engine and I'm still trying to clean the shit off the garage walls. After a couple of seconds it dropped to 800-1000 and was normal just as if it was fully warmed up.

I flashed back to stock and no drama, back to stage one, put some km on and the same behavior.

I put the headers on a few days ago and flashed stage 2+ and exactly the same thing but now when it revs like that the neighbors curtains start to twitch.

Thinking maybe despite my previous comment I was retarded and a few nuts and bolts had bested me, I took it to an exhaust shop but they said there was no problem as far as that goes.

I can't afford to always leave it warm up before I drive it, and now with the headers on she's a loud little beastie.

Am I just completely missing something? Am I retarded? Is this how my car is now?

cheers

Its normal to see K01I as calid after oft tune as post 2017 auto tunes based on that calid regardless of original calid

The rpm jumping round between neutral/park and in gear is due to a couple of errors in the Maff Offset after start tables in oft tunes that cause that rpm variation when its in cold start sequence.

its easy fix

The OFT tunes are based on USA fuels, since out fuel 98 ron is not as good you tend to get a bit of knock issue and ECU drops advance multiplier to control knock. you can get better result with tune tailored for aussie fuel
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:15 AM   #5
MajorMercyFlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Its normal to see K01I as calid after oft tune as post 2017 auto tunes based on that calid regardless of original calid
That was what I was expecting so why is openflash tablet saying ZA1JN00W? Doesn't that mean that if I get a tune file say from Wayne for K01I it won't flash due to mismatched calid?

Quote:
The rpm jumping round between neutral/park and in gear is due to a couple of errors in the Maff Offset after start tables in oft tunes that cause that rpm variation when its in cold start sequence.

its easy fix
Thank fuck for that!

Quote:
The OFT tunes are based on USA fuels, since out fuel 98 ron is not as good you tend to get a bit of knock issue and ECU drops advance multiplier to control knock. you can get better result with tune tailored for aussie fuel
I'd seen you mention that in other threads so that was what I planned. As I said I'm kind of wandering in the wilderness in regards to tuning at the minute. Qantas made us all redundant back in February so I've had plenty of time to mess around with the car (probably tackle coil overs next) but tuning is still witchcraft at the moment.

thanks
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2021, 01:23 AM   #6
MajorMercyFlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by elBarto View Post
You can look at Wayne's Roms, he's AT owner himself and been tuning since 2014.
You can also contact @steve99, guy knows more about the ECU than Subaru.
ok thanks for that, appreciate it.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:27 AM   #7
MajorMercyFlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
Simply put, the tune you are trying to use is pure sh*t. Really just this simple

Since you have a Restyling, you're Aussie and you have an automatic I suggest you start over with a new tune for your car with @steve99 who is really great
or wayne who also has an automatic

Do not trust Openflash tunes for restyling and automatic cars

I appreciate your honest assessment. I'll turn my attention in their direction
Old 05-12-2021, 09:50 AM   #8
bucketfoot

Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Stupid question time...

If I already bought an Openflash tune for my 86 (automatic) from someplace else, do I need to start over with a new device or can I get tunes from one of the other resources?
Old 05-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #9
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
Stupid question time...

If I already bought an Openflash tune for my 86 (automatic) from someplace else, do I need to start over with a new device or can I get tunes from one of the other resources?

If you bought four OFT from a vendor other than OFP, you can can still download their codes from their page, you'll just have to register your product or something of the sort.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:35 PM   #10
steve99
Banned

Quote:
That was what I was expecting so why is openflash tablet saying ZA1JN00W? Doesn't that mean that if I get a tune file say from Wayne for K01I it won't flash due to mismatched calid?

Thank fuck for that!

I'd seen you mention that in other threads so that was what I planned. As I said I'm kind of wandering in the wilderness in regards to tuning at the minute. Qantas made us all redundant back in February so I've had plenty of time to mess around with the car (probably tackle coil overs next) but tuning is still witchcraft at the moment.

thanks

Depending on which screen you look at on oft you may see your actusl cald ZA1JN00W or once you flash oft tune you may see the substitute calid ZA1JK01I on some screens.

This is normal the oft tunes are based on K01I but altered to look like K00W so oft will load as it only loads tunes when it thinks it same calid
Old 05-12-2021, 11:54 PM   #11
MajorMercyFlush

Quote:
Depending on which screen you look at on oft you may see your actusl cald ZA1JN00W or once you flash oft tune you may see the substitute calid ZA1JK01I on some screens.

This is normal the oft tunes are based on K01I but altered to look like K00W so oft will load as it only loads tunes when it thinks it same calid
Ah yes, on a different screen a bit further in it says ZA1JK01I but still says ZA1JN00W at a high level.

Thanks for that.

But obviously that still leaves me stuck with not being able to flash internally designated ZA1JK01I roms even though that is what it is. For example WaynesRom for a ZA1JK01I isn't going to upload to my OFT.

Last edited by MajorMercyFlush; 05-13-2021 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:29 AM   #12
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Ah yes, on a different screen a bit further in it says ZA1JK01I but still says ZA1JN00W at a high level.

Thanks for that.

But obviously that still leaves me stuck with not being able to flash internally designated ZA1JK01I roms even though that is what it is. For example WaynesRom for a ZA1JK01I isn't going to upload to my OFT.

No it ill be fine

if you use oft you need to load roms that oft thinks is N00W even though internally they might be K01I

If i or wayne did tune we would jist do same think ie suppy a K01I rom that looks like N00W.

its jist the way oft works

its not permanent if you flasged stock tune vack everything would go back to N00W it all fine
Old 05-13-2021, 04:54 AM   #13
MajorMercyFlush

Quote:
No it ill be fine

if you use oft you need to load roms that oft thinks is N00W even though internally they might be K01I

If i or wayne did tune we would jist do same think ie suppy a K01I rom that looks like N00W.

Ok so it just gets spoofed to look like what OFT is expecting.
I was looking at Wanyes Roms yesterday and did see something that looked like that was what it was saying but his store went down in the middle of it. He said it was storm related. East coast is just getting battered isn't it. I'm in Perth and damn its looking cold and wet over there.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:08 AM   #14
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,178 Times in 607 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Ok so it just gets spoofed to look like what OFT is expecting.
I was looking at Wanyes Roms yesterday and did see something that looked like that was what it was saying but his store went down in the middle of it. He said it was storm related. East coast is just getting battered isn't it. I'm in Perth and damn its looking cold and wet over there.
Waynos tunes and service are below average. Especially with 2017 plus he has no idea. Just some friendly and experienced advice

Tags
headers, new here, openflash tablet, question, stage 2+