follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-30-2020, 03:05 PM   #1
Tanstin

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Should You Buy During the Pandemic?

This pandemic has affected a lot of businesses, especially the auto market. I originally planned to get one of the twins in June or July, and I'm wondering how the market will fare.

With the release of the Second-gen 86 predicted this summer, people may not be as eager to switch over their old twins with everything that's going on, and prices may actually increase. On that same note, Toyota and many other auto manufacturers will likely offer discounts to re-energize their income once this is all over.

What does the forum think about buying a FRS/BRZ/86 (or any car for that matter) new or used, during these uncertain times?
Tanstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:26 PM   #2
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanstin View Post
This pandemic has affected a lot of businesses, especially the auto market. I originally planned to get one of the twins in June or July, and I'm wondering how the market will fare.

With the release of the Second-gen 86 predicted this summer, people may not be as eager to switch over their old twins with everything that's going on, and prices may actually increase. On that same note, Toyota and many other auto manufacturers will likely offer discounts to re-energize their income once this is all over.

What does the forum think about buying a FRS/BRZ/86 (or any car for that matter) new or used, during these uncertain times?
Just so you know the second gens are definitely not being released this summer.

As far as buying one just buy it online and just go to the dealership to just pick it up.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vital For This Useful Post:
AJ32162 (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
Tanstin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital View Post
Just so you know the second gens are definitely not being released this summer.

As far as buying one just buy it online and just go to the dealership to just pick it up.
I'm aware it's not being sold just yet, but I was told they'll announce it in the summer.

Its more about whether right now is a good time to buy one, or what they predict about the market during these times

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm aware it's not being sold just yet, but I was told they'll announce it in the summer.

Its more about whether right now is a good time to buy one, or what they predict about the market during these times

Well, most dealerships are offering good deals right now. Its up to you how comfortable you are buying one. If you're trying to buy one i would wait to at least test drive one and see how you feel about them. If you know you absolutely want one i would just purchase it online
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vital For This Useful Post:
why? (03-31-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,815 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

I reckon if your income stream looks like it would be stable enough to afford it and you need (or want) a car (different car), go for it.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #6
conehead

Drives: RS 2.0
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
It will probably be in a month or two. Right now already built cars are still being delivered and piling up while most people are taking financially defensive measures and not taking on new debt. There could actually be a supply pinch later on though, since many factories have actually shut down and take time to come back on line.

If you have a comfortable amount of cash on hand, this summer will be a good time to exchange it for something else before the inflation caused by printing $2TRILLION in extra money starts to show up.
conehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to conehead For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (03-31-2020), Atmo (03-30-2020), new2subaru (03-30-2020), Tcoat (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 04:43 PM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Mine was the last new vehicle the dealership had customer pick up on last week before the sales department shut down for at least two weeks. I don't know about there but here the dealerships are not allowed to sell from the showroom right now. Pretty much only service can be open.
If you hold out a couple of months you will probably be able to get some smoking deals. Ford and FCA are already giving huge rebates and the rest will have to compete. Once this clears up and all the incentives to try and recover the economy kick in would be a great time to buy a new car.
dnieves (03-31-2020), why? (03-31-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 05:13 PM   #8
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Mine was the last new vehicle the dealership had customer pick up on last week before the sales department shut down for at least two weeks. I don't know about there but here the dealerships are not allowed to sell from the showroom right now. Pretty much only service can be open.
If you hold out a couple of months you will probably be able to get some smoking deals. Ford and FCA are already giving huge rebates and the rest will have to compete. Once this clears up and all the incentives to try and recover the economy kick in would be a great time to buy a new car.
Im thinking this too.

Im waiting on the pandemic clear up and things to get back to normal.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:46 PM   #9
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
normal is going to take a very, very long time. like 1-2 years in the best case scenario.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:48 PM   #10
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
normal is going to take a very, very long time. like 1-2 years in the best case scenario.
It will be a whole new "normal" the old "normal" is dead.
AnalogMan (03-31-2020), dnieves (03-31-2020), ElijahF (04-01-2020), Leonardo (03-30-2020), soundman98 (03-30-2020), spike021 (03-31-2020), why? (03-31-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 05:52 PM   #11
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Im thinking this too.

I had started the buying process back when this whole thing was some guy in China with the sniffles or would possibly have waited as well.
Or more accurately, if I was looking for anything but the Hakone I would have waited. If I had not acted when I did the probability of getting one with a MT would be remote.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:08 PM   #12
Tanstin

Thanks for all the info guys. It definitely seems like waiting a bit and buying once markets open up is the best idea.

I'm completely dead set on getting a twin, so hopefully in a few months I'll be joining you guys.

Only thing im curious about is how much this pandemic will hurt the next gen launch (if there will even be one).

On that same note, is there anything in specific I should look out for when buying used? like mods, valve springs, fuel pumps etc.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:20 PM   #13
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
Put a deposit down last Saturday, eta for it to come in will be mid-late April for an Ablaze 6M.

The main problem with the twins in particular is that it is a very slow mover, so most dealerships won't really bother bringing one in for the show room and bring them in on a per-order basis (at least that's how it is over here in Alberta). Because of this, unless it's a Toyota Canada type promotion and price reduction, dealership likely won't be giving much of a "deal" as their profit margins on these aren't especially high to begin with and they won't have any urgency to clear existing inventory as they don't stock it on their show room or lots.

Right now if you're in the market for a twin and don't mind Subaru, it's a great time to finance a BRZ as subaru is offering 0.5% financing for the 2020 models and the ts is priced cheaper than the GT 6M 86 and comes with the brembos + sachs dampers that the 86 doesn't. The only "promotion" Toyota Canada offered thus far with this pandemic is a 1% off finance rates so my rate for the incoming 86 will be 2.49%
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:29 PM   #14
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltywetman View Post
Put a deposit down last Saturday, eta for it to come in will be mid-late April for an Ablaze 6M.

The main problem with the twins in particular is that it is a very slow mover, so most dealerships won't really bother bringing one in for the show room and bring them in on a per-order basis (at least that's how it is over here in Alberta). Because of this, unless it's a Toyota Canada type promotion and price reduction, dealership likely won't be giving much of a "deal" as their profit margins on these aren't especially high to begin with and they won't have any urgency to clear existing inventory as they don't stock it on their show room or lots.

Right now if you're in the market for a twin and don't mind Subaru, it's a great time to finance a BRZ as subaru is offering 0.5% financing for the 2020 models and the ts is priced cheaper than the GT 6M 86 and comes with the brembos + sachs dampers that the 86 doesn't. The only "promotion" Toyota Canada offered thus far with this pandemic is a 1% off finance rates so my rate for the incoming 86 will be 2.49%
All depends on where you are. I had to order mine (they shipped one over from Calgary) since my Toyota dealer doesn't like the much and won't stock hem. A couple of blocks down the road the Subaru dealer keeps 4 or 5 in stock much of the year and always has a selection of at least a couple. They sell a shitload of them.
If I head north to the Kitchener area I can't walk through a parking lot with out tripping over a FRS/86. If I head south the Windsor I could probably ask the Toyota dealer about one and they wouldn't have a clue what I car I was talking about.

I have said before that Toyota Canada just simply does not care if they sell these cars at all so they work on a "take it or leave it" sales basis and getting a deal is rough.

There could be some States that way but since they sell there at about 12 to 1 of the Canadian sales rate it is easier to bargain.