follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-31-2021, 02:41 PM   #43
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by botbs View Post
So in summary, it is not a good idea to install it right as it will mess up the tuning? Thanks!
Potentially. We don't really know for certain and it is likely probably negligible. I am not really sure on the HKS, Greddy, or Legsport intake snorkel. In general that consensus on the forum has been the OE intake is pretty good and there is not much gain from swapping it out with an aftermarket cold air intake. The OE setup is already cold air, and just swapping the panel filter out for something high flow is 98% of the gain. I am always open to look at more data logs, I am sure there are others here that would like to see them for those that can provide any.
Teseo (03-23-2023)
Old 03-31-2021, 04:34 PM   #44
czellers

Drives: 2K19 GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Your not getting more direct and unimpeded flow with that intake. What do you think the air is doing when it hits the cooling stack, just sit there?

You are missing the point bud, and it is likely not that serious, it is just something that we have all brought up. The issue is that the OE fuel injection system is MAF referenced, so if you are feeding the MAF a buffeted airflow it isn't going to behave consistently at the same loads. That is why we mentioned in the other thread the MAF placement on your intake so close to the air filter and asking for logs on MAF voltage. Even a MAF rescale can not help this. Has nothing to do with how much the intake is flowing. It likely amounts to F' all but we asked out of curiosity to get a data point.
RE: "what do you think the air is doing.." No clue how to answer that, but think of a room with a closed window and one with an open window. Please dont take this as insulting, it just is what it is..

As for the data points, if OpenFlash Manager and/or windows wasnt such shit, you'd have gotten them weeks ago... see attached:
Attached Images

czellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:41 PM   #45
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by czellers View Post
RE: "what do you think the air is doing.." No clue how to answer that, but think of a room with a closed window and one with an open window. Please dont take this as insulting, it just is what it is..
Okay, so if you continue to put air into the open window with the other closed what happens? Or in this case maybe it is better to say that you have opened a door close to the closed window, but we are putting far more air in the open window then the closed can evacuate.

No insult taken, we are having a discussion. I may be wrong, you may be wrong, but there is no wrong in discussing it. Like I said though, it is likely moot point.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:48 PM   #46
czellers

Quote:
Okay, so if you continue to put air into the open window with the other closed what happens? Or in this case maybe it is better to say that you have opened a door close to the closed window, but we are putting far more air in the open window then the closed can evacuate.

No insult taken, we are having a discussion. I may be wrong, you may be wrong, but there is no wrong in discussing it. Like I said though, it is likely moot point.
"but we are putting far more air in the open window then the closed can evacuate."

If that were true, it would be forced induction (+ boost pressure), in the case of an intake system. No amount of RAM air will produce positive boost pressures in the intake system. Also, what RPM/throttle % does closed loop begin, because thats the next consideration A/F ratios
Old 03-31-2021, 05:27 PM   #47
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
"but we are putting far more air in the open window then the closed can evacuate."

If that were true, it would be forced induction (+ boost pressure), in the case of an intake system. No amount of RAM air will produce positive boost pressures in the intake system. Also, what RPM/throttle % does closed loop begin, because thats the next consideration A/F ratios
Poor example on my part

I'll have to have a think about how to word it more appropriately when I am not letting the smoke out of electronics.

Closed/open loop is more to do with load the RPM. Closed or open still references MAF. The exception being if you are running speed density.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:33 PM   #48
czellers

Quote:
Poor example on my part

I'll have to have a think about how to word it more appropriately when I am not letting the smoke out of electronics.

Closed/open loop is more to do with load the RPM. Closed or open still references MAF. The exception being if you are running speed density.
That's the other thing in light of not being able to get open flash manager to cooperate right now.. I do monitor with the OFT and the AFR looks consistent across a non-WOT pull but more aggressive than normal driving.. I can only watch the AFR and drive so fast.. so if we were talking MAF interrupts due to increased volume/turbulence, wouldn't that also show up in an AFR?

P.S. I'll eventually get open flash manager working again, its just installed on a pc with an audibly failing HDD
Old 03-31-2021, 05:41 PM   #49
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
That's the other thing in light of not being able to get open flash manager to cooperate right now.. I do monitor with the OFT and the AFR looks consistent across a non-WOT pull but more aggressive than normal driving.. I can only watch the AFR and drive so fast.. so if we were talking MAF interrupts due to increased volume/turbulence, wouldn't that also show up in an AFR?

P.S. I'll eventually get open flash manager working again, its just installed on a pc with an audibly failing HDD
Possibly, that is why I wanted to see your log in the other thread. In theory it would be worse.

You can get airflow through the logs as well.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:49 PM   #50
czellers

Quote:
Possibly, that is why I wanted to see your log in the other thread. In theory it would be worse.

Yea, as soon as I can I will but I do remember AFRs being relatively consistent as I went through the RPMs.. I also have to assume I'm already at higher fuel targets being that I'm running the stage2+ e85 tune from open flash.. its also worth reiterating that intake I have has 2 setups you can run:

1. A nerf'd version where an insert intentionally blocks x% of air volume at the MAF since the intake tube I believe is 3.5"

2. You remove the insert and its 3.5" at the filter/intake tube connection and tapers down towards the throttle body

The latter of the 2 with no tuning/MAF rescale will by many accounts make it run rough.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:54 AM   #51
czellers

Quote:

Finally got the OFT connected, heres the logs:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...72#post3419072
The Following User Says Thank You to czellers For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (04-02-2021)