follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2020, 07:46 PM   #1
Gloonge

Drives: 2013 frs raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Worth trying to rebuild?

Younger buddy of mine neglected to keep an eye on his oil level after I mentioned a valve cover leak to him and he developed a pretty loud knock above 3k rpms.

I'm sure he spun a rod bearing or two. My question is, with the cost of used Motors for these things is it worth tearing a part and cleaning and replacing (oversized) after machining or is the result a similar price for just a chance?

We would do the work ourselves (other than the machining.)
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:52 PM   #2
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloonge View Post
Younger buddy of mine neglected to keep an eye on his oil level after I mentioned a valve cover leak to him and he developed a pretty loud knock above 3k rpms.

I'm sure he spun a rod bearing or two. My question is, with the cost of used Motors for these things is it worth tearing a part and cleaning and replacing (oversized) after machining or is the result a similar price for just a chance?

Are you an experienced boxer motor builder? If not, slam a "new" one in there and call it a day

Also, valve cover leak probably didn't cause motor to take a shit

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (12-12-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 08:00 PM   #3
Gloonge

Drives: 2013 frs raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Are you an experienced boxer motor builder? If not, slam a "new" one in there and call it a day

Also, valve cover leak probably didn't cause motor to take a shit

The lack of oil caused it to die, the leaking valve cover caused the lack of oil.

Are the really that bad to repair? I'm not experienced with boxers but I do rebuild engines from time to time.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:56 PM   #4
Ashikabi

Quote:
The lack of oil caused it to die, the leaking valve cover caused the lack of oil.

Are the really that bad to repair? I'm not experienced with boxers but I do rebuild engines from time to time.
Sure, lack of oil to the bearings. A seeping cover won't lose oil fast enough to matter. I lost my motor with no seeping. Or leaking.

Those motors have a lot of parts. Tolerances are very tight. Shit Toyota technicians can't even do it right. That said, it's totally possible to do. But when you can get a motor for a few grand and have it pulled and installed in a day... I LS swapped mine instead of rebuilding

Old 12-11-2020, 09:03 PM   #5
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:

They are more of a pain in the ass. If you pay someone make sure they know what they hell they are doing..
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:09 PM   #6
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
do you think you're better at repairing a motor than a toyota tech?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/26848/...-their-engines

because i don't think i am.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:53 PM   #7
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:

It's not magic. Look at step-8 here. If you're confident that, taking your time, practicing, you can obtain the specified results, do eet.

Manuals in my sig line and I'm sure the recall procedure is here somewhere. I'd do it in a heartbeat but I have old fart experience.
Old 12-12-2020, 07:45 AM   #8
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Worth trying to rebuild?

I enjoyed rebuilding mine with the exception of cleaning the original packing seal off. All total I probably have 24 hours simply scraping off packing. The rest of the engine is easy to work on. It’s crazy east to pull. Being a boxer it’s perfectly balanced on an engine stand. You can flip it upside down, right side up or any side without the stand trying to flip.

Applying the packing isn’t even hard, you just have to take it seriously. Too much is bad, too little is bad and in the wrong place is bad. The illustrations in the service manual (linked in post above) are vague but the instructions for the valve spring recall are very detailed. I rebuilt mine before the recall so I had to go off the service manual and mine came out fine. I had 87k miles when I rebuilt and today I have 121k. I drive my car like I stole it. It’s red lined ~10 times per day (literally). I also take several rarely used high gload off ramps in my daily commute which I probably run near 1g at higher RPMs. I also autox the car. Long story short, if I did a bad job it would probably have taken a dump by now. Most of the recalled engines that failed made it less than 20k before spinning a bearing.

I don’t think the Toyota techs are less skilled, they just don’t take it as serious as an owner would. They also weren’t allotted enough time for the job personally so they are forced to rush the job. They also aren’t doing a full rebuild so if any packing drops into the engine while cleaning there is no way to get it out. On a full rebuild you can flush the crap out of the engine with water after cleaning.

BTW, I am a software developer with no on the job experience rebuilding engines. I’ve rebuilt several engines and manual transmissions, just not as a profession and no official training.

I also debated replacing the whole engine VS a rebuild. All total I had about $2500 in the rebuild but I know what I have. I know I have a brand new short block. This engine has a history of bad packing from the factory (at least early builds did) so I felt like the odds of blowing up another used engine was higher than rebuilding with a brand new short block. So I rebuilt and don’t regret it one bit.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
bcj (12-12-2020), gravitylover (12-28-2020), NoHaveMSG (12-21-2020), Spuds (12-27-2020), Ultramaroon (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 08:48 AM   #9
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I enjoyed rebuilding mine with the exception of cleaning the original packing seal off. All total I probably have 24 hours simply scraping off packing. The rest of the engine is easy to work on. It’s crazy east to pull. Being a boxer it’s perfectly balanced on an engine stand. You can flip it upside down, right side up or any side without the stand trying to flip.

Applying the packing isn’t even hard, you just have to take it seriously. Too much is bad, too little is bad and in the wrong place is bad. The illustrations in the service manual (linked in post above) are vague but the instructions for the valve spring recall are very detailed. I rebuilt mine before the recall so I had to go off the service manual and mine came out fine. I had 87k miles when I rebuilt and today I have 121k. I drive my car like I stole it. It’s red lined ~10 times per day (literally). I also take several rarely used high gload off ramps in my daily commute which I probably run near 1g at higher RPMs. I also autox the car. Long story short, if I did a bad job it would probably have taken a dump by now. Most of the recalled engines that failed made it less than 20k before spinning a bearing.

I don’t think the Toyota techs are less skilled, they just don’t take it as serious as an owner would. They also weren’t allotted enough time for the job personally so they are forced to rush the job. They also aren’t doing a full rebuild so if any packing drops into the engine while cleaning there is no way to get it out. On a full rebuild you can flush the crap out of the engine with water after cleaning.

BTW, I am a software developer with no on the job experience rebuilding engines. I’ve rebuilt several engines and manual transmissions, just not as a profession and no official training.

I also debated replacing the whole engine VS a rebuild. All total I had about $2500 in the rebuild but I know what I have. I know I have a brand new short block. This engine has a history of bad packing from the factory (at least early builds did) so I felt like the odds of blowing up another used engine was higher than rebuilding with a brand new short block. So I rebuilt and don’t regret it one bit.
2500 to rebuild or 3500 for a used motor... By my count it's not worth saving a grand to scrape gasket for 24 hours. My time is worth more than that. There are obvious benefits and risks both ways. Hopefully this info will help OP make an informed choice

Old 12-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #10
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
2500 to rebuild or 3500 for a used motor... By my count it's not worth saving a grand to scrape gasket for 24 hours. My time is worth more than that. There are obvious benefits and risks both ways. Hopefully this info will help OP make an informed choice

My time is worth more than that too but my goal wasn’t to save money. It was to have a car I felt confident in driving the shit out of. I also enjoy projects like this. Not so much the scraping part but the rest was fun.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (12-21-2020), soundman98 (12-12-2020), Ultramaroon (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 11:25 AM   #11
Ashikabi

Quote:
My time is worth more than that too but my goal wasn’t to save money. It was to have a car I felt confident in driving the shit out of. I also enjoy projects like this. Not so much the scraping part but the rest was fun.
Sure. I rebuilt my civic a decade ago. It wasn't terrible, just took a long time. But I had no knowledge at all and no one to help. Did it all from the service manual. I did not feel confident I could rebuild this motor though. That's why I swapped the LS.

Old 12-12-2020, 01:16 PM   #12
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've probably mentioned this already but I have a feeling we would do well working together. I don't even mind the scraping part.

process > end goal = happiness
Old 12-20-2020, 08:03 PM   #13
Contender

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
do you think you're better at repairing a motor than a toyota tech?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/26848/...-their-engines

because i don't think i am.
LoL they SUCK look how many motors they supposedly fixed and they blew up.
Contender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #14
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
If you like projects and enjoy then rebuild yourself. If you just want the car running again, just go the easier albeit more expensive way and get someone knowledgeable to do it. Overtime the money you spend will be forgotten, so many other things in life will require money that once it’s gone it’s gone.

I just put $800 into my 04 WRX to fix rust issues on the rear body where the suspension bolts to the body. I was hours away from the shock going through it. It sucked to payout 800 just to have the same car I had before. But 2 months later, all is well and I don’t even think about it, I just enjoy the car.

My Indian friends have some saying like “pay a lot you cry once, try to cheap out you cry over and over”. Similar to you get what you pay for. If you think you can do a better job and have the skill and time then do it.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
Spuds (12-27-2020), Ultramaroon (12-21-2020)