follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2018, 06:54 PM   #1
texastwurkt3am

Drives: '17 PP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can the Optimal Filter Location for GrimmSpeed Intakes Vary Car to Car?

Short backstory, last weekend I did FT86SF headers, Motiv OP, GS intake, and an OTS stage 2 OFT tune all in one day. By the time I got to the "crucial part" of aligning the filter 1" away I was honestly just tired and slapped it on. The car pulled strong, and I could audibly hear the induction noise. A few days later I put it in the "right place" and started data logging, I was around -7 LTFT. The thing is, after moving it to where it "should be" the car felt significantly weaker. I also didn't hear the induction noises. I was absolutely sure I put it 1" away. I have a pic of before I just moved it. Now I put it 1/2" away and the car is already performing better and running a -4 LTFT. The car also has an Ark test pipe and Grip exhaust if that means anything to my main question.

Can the optimal filter location vary car to car? When I inevitably get my custom OFT tune, should I put it back where it "should be" or leave it where it is now since it already performs better? I'd snag some logs but for some reason the buttons on the left side of my OFT aren't responding correctly.

Also, I'm not implying anything in quotes is wrong information, just my own experiences with it.

@GrimmSpeed
FT86 Speed Factory Catted UEL Headers, Motiv Overpipe, Ark Test Pipe, Ark Grip Exhaust, GrimmSpeed Intake, V4 Stage 2 OFT Tune, Illusion Red Powdercoated Enkei Raijin 18x8 Squared, Eibach Pro Springs, MTEC Clutch Spring, Audio Upgrade, Random Accessories
texastwurkt3am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:38 PM   #2
texastwurkt3am

Got the calibration on the OFT fixed. I guess it was just the first drive where it never went under -4. This is with it at 1/2"

https://datazap.me/u/texastwurkt3am/store?log=0&data=1
FT86 Speed Factory Catted UEL Headers, Motiv Overpipe, Ark Test Pipe, Ark Grip Exhaust, GrimmSpeed Intake, V4 Stage 2 OFT Tune, Illusion Red Powdercoated Enkei Raijin 18x8 Squared, Eibach Pro Springs, MTEC Clutch Spring, Audio Upgrade, Random Accessories
Old 04-30-2018, 10:22 AM   #3
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
The spec of "1in" is mainly to prevent this:

If you put the filter too far down the pipe, you're going to end up with the pipe too far into the venturi. Under that circumstance the protrusion from the pipe will cause turbulence that will definitely cause issues with the MAF signal.

In testing we found there to be very little difference with the filter at the "correct distance" when compared to variations that move the pipe further towards the end of the filter, such as in your "half in case." The issues arise when the pipe is placed too far into the filter, including cases where it is put on crooked and part of the pipe protrudes into the filter.

You can put it wherever you remember you put it for your pro-tune since you should be scaling the MAF at that time. As far as the "optimal distance" being different from car to car, the effect is small unless the installation is incorrect. The changes you saw are much more likely to be in the variation of parts you have, and more importantly the amount of time after the ECU flash.

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
JohnJuan (04-30-2018), Teseo (04-30-2018), texastwurkt3am (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 10:31 AM   #4
texastwurkt3am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
The spec of "1in" is mainly to prevent this:

If you put the filter too far down the pipe, you're going to end up with the pipe too far into the venturi. Under that circumstance the protrusion from the pipe will cause turbulence that will definitely cause issues with the MAF signal.

In testing we found there to be very little difference with the filter at the "correct distance" when compared to variations that move the pipe further towards the end of the filter, such as in your "half in case." The issues arise when the pipe is placed too far into the filter, including cases where it is put on crooked and part of the pipe protrudes into the filter.

You can put it wherever you remember you put it for your pro-tune since you should be scaling the MAF at that time. As far as the "optimal distance" being different from car to car, the effect is small unless the installation is incorrect. The changes you saw are much more likely to be in the variation of parts you have, and more importantly the amount of time after the ECU flash.

Chase
Engineering
Thank you so much for the reply! That picture really helps put everything into perspective. It was really weird because after all those parts it did feel like almost the stock tune after moving it to 1" away, but now that's it's 1/2" it's back to feeling much stronger. It also only made 8 more HP and 5 more TQ on the dyno after all that stuff when it was at 1", but that was at PRT Performance which their Mustang dyno reads really low, and that was with it feeling sluggish.
The Following User Says Thank You to texastwurkt3am For This Useful Post:
GrimmSpeed (04-30-2018)