follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #1037
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1ca View Post
I dropped my '13 BRZ off yesterday for the recall and cancelled order on SC until I put 5000 miles and conduct a few oil analysis. After reading all these posts, I met with the service manager and expressed my concerns regarding this issue beforehand. He shared with me how corporate originally instructed him to have two or three people work on these recalls. This manager said "no way", and insisted that only one well qualified mechanic work on it from beginning to end, as he thought the problems were related to less qualified, jr mechanics. They have had over 19 recall work come through dating back several months. So far nothing has come back. Further, I politely revealed to the service manager that I would conduct oil analyses for the next few oil changes. He said he thought that was a good idea. He is a great guy and I feel assured he will take care of me and make things right should something happen. Just wanted to pass this on

Very wise, I did the same thing but on SoCal with Longo. So far Im 1800+ miles since the recall with no issues. Longo said they have done over 25 and none have comeback with major failure. You sir have done all you can do to ensure a good outcome. I suggest when you get home from the recall just do an oil change, thats what I did. Looked carefully for any metal shavings and found nothing noteworthy. Now Im getting ready for my next oil change, Im doing them much more frequently for a while after a recall. I will send in to blackstone just to see how things are holding while also seeing how 0w40 is working for my application.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:03 PM   #1038
marco1ca

Drives: Toyota Celica
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
Very wise, I did the same thing but on SoCal with Longo. So far Im 1800+ miles since the recall with no issues. Longo said they have done over 25 and none have comeback with major failure. You sir have done all you can do to ensure a good outcome. I suggest when you get home from the recall just do an oil change, thats what I did. Looked carefully for any metal shavings and found nothing noteworthy. Now Im getting ready for my next oil change, Im doing them much more frequently for a while after a recall. I will send in to blackstone just to see how things are holding while also seeing how 0w40 is working for my application.
Thank you, I wasn't planning to change the oil right away, but will do so at this suggestion. I"m not set up for doing oil changes myself, so I guess I can have someone put some oil aside or something? not sure how to do this Blackstone analysis, but i'm sure theres a thread on this somewhere : )
marco1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #1039
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thank you, I wasn't planning to change the oil right away, but will do so at this suggestion. I"m not set up for doing oil changes myself, so I guess I can have someone put some oil aside or something? not sure how to do this Blackstone analysis, but i'm sure theres a thread on this somewhere : )
Start an account with them and they will send you a couple test kits. You can pre-pay for the analysis. If you get a little vacuum pump, you can slip the hose right down the dipstick tube. Something like this will work just fine. Might need to get a longer hose.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:27 PM   #1040
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Garage
Quote:
If your not equipped for an oil change you could just do the filter change but probably better to swap out the oil if you can. Like the previous post go sign up for Blackstone on their site and they send you containers for you to fill up. They only charge you when they receive your sample and test it.

Not sure what you mean by putting oil aside but best deal for buying oil is wallmart online. If you mean a shop or something is doing the oil change then you can give them the Blackstone sample container and they should know what to do and give it back to you to send. Note it takes like 2-3 weeks for the Blackstone sample container to arrive. I would wait to sample the 2nd oil change not the one you do right when you get back.
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
marco1ca (07-19-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 01:51 AM   #1041
marco1ca

Drives: Toyota Celica
Quote:
If your not equipped for an oil change you could just do the filter change but probably better to swap out the oil if you can. Like the previous post go sign up for Blackstone on their site and they send you containers for you to fill up. They only charge you when they receive your sample and test it.

Not sure what you mean by putting oil aside but best deal for buying oil is wallmart online. If you mean a shop or something is doing the oil change then you can give them the Blackstone sample container and they should know what to do and give it back to you to send. Note it takes like 2-3 weeks for the Blackstone sample container to arrive. I would wait to sample the 2nd oil change not the one you do right when you get back.
I made the request from Blackstone as was suggested, thanks. Just sucks I have to wait possibly months for my Edelbrock Supercharger!!
marco1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:58 PM   #1042
used2likeit

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 6MT, Daily Driver
Oh lookie here, an article about this fiasco from a major Canadian newspaper: https://www.thestar.com/life/advice/...dangerous.html
used2likeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #1043
AmphOne

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by used2likeit View Post
Oh lookie here, an article about this fiasco from a major Canadian newspaper: https://www.thestar.com/life/advice/...dangerous.html
His (the person in the article), and my experience are super similar. We had the recall performed in the same month, failed on the road within the same weekend May. Fortunately for me, they're not charging for the repair. The tech is hopeful to have the work finally complete next week.

Fingers crossed.
AmphOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #1044
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Actually... at ~ $5/qt the very high quality oil from Toyota is not only a great deal but is also one of the best 0W20 oils out there for a high revving engine.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #1045
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Actually... at ~ $5/qt the very high quality oil from Toyota is not only a great deal but is also one of the best 0W20 oils out there for a high revving engine.

I don't run 0w20 in my FRS, I'm running mobil 1 0w40 and Walmart has a great selection and consistent deals. They are always worth checking in my book.

Can you post a link to $5qt for Toyota 0w20 oil. I have another car running that and always looking for better deals.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #1046
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't run 0w20 in my FRS, I'm running mobil 1 0w40 and Walmart has a great selection and consistent deals. They are always worth checking in my book.

Can you post a link to $5qt for Toyota 0w20 oil. I have another car running that and always looking for better deals.
I usually just go to the local dealer but there's this https://www.ebay.com/p/OEM-TOYOTA-0w...arts/655351977
Old 07-27-2019, 10:46 PM   #1047
AmphOne

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
It's been a long 2 months and 9 days.
I'm happy to report... My FR-S has safely returned home to me.

Time for some clay-bar detail.
AmphOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AmphOne For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 12:32 PM   #1048
Zionlion

Drives: Scion fr-s
I have filed complaint!!!!
Zionlion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zionlion For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 12:45 PM   #1049
Zionlion

Drives: Scion fr-s
FR-S

I have a 2013 FR_S with a now blown engine!! Corporate and dealership both refuse any assistance or explanation!They say it wasn't caused by recall.So why are the engine failures only 2013 cars?I also have 1991 Celica GT-S and 1983 Datsun 280zx!
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall leonhart View Post
I realize it is the dealer/techs that are the base issue. I'm generalizing the whole company as Toyota, because they are techs who do the work for Toyota.

In the end, who is Toyota Corporate referring us (we have no option) to have the work done by? Toyota dealership techs. So in my view...it's still a Toyota company issue.

If the dealership doesn't back the work of their techs, who should hold the dealership accountable? Shouldn't it be the corporation whose good name is on the line?

All that said, my current stance is that I'll just not have the work done.

I was at the local service department earlier today (having them mount tires to my JDM wheels) and the recall subject came up since my VIN is affected.

The one guy said he hadn't heard of the issues, and that they hadn't had issues with any that they had done. I'm not sure how many that's been, but he did say they finished one a few weeks ago, and haven't heard anything negative. Also, according to him (a manager) and another tech, the Master Tech they have working on the recall is very meticulous and took longer than the allotted time to do the job and make sure everything was done properly.

Of course, you can always say that's to be taken with a grain of salt, because they work there! But I do feel better about the prospect of having it done (and having voiced my concerns). The other guy did say he'd been on some calls (I'm assuming with corporate) about the recall issues in general and is aware that there have been widespread problems. I didn't really get to talk to him much though.

I just don't have any experience with these guys, I've never had so much as an oil change done by them. Having them mount these tires will be my first experience. I've bought parts from the dealer, that's about it. Everything has always been pleasant though...and the guys I talked to today seemed like good guys who want to do things right. But again...I don't have any real relationship with them at this point.
Zionlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:27 PM   #1050
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
I feel for you guys but there is no way in hell I would do this recall and lose my car, unless you actually have the issue described in the recall
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue