follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2021, 07:48 PM   #1
bfeeney

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Open air sub 'box'

I'm going to completely redo my sound system soon since the speakers were blown by the previous owner. I'm going to get a touchscreen radio (don't know which one yet) and Kicker speakers. I'm doing 3.5's in the dash, 6.5's in the door and was thinking about doing 6x9's in the rear since 3.5's in the back are about useless. I want a 10" sub for the bass since 6x9's only do so much, which isn't much in that department. I mostly listen to metal like Slipknot, Cradle Of Filth and Sepultura but occasionally I'll pop in some 90's rap. I was thinking about removing the back section of the rear seats and making a panel out of fiberglass to mount the 6x9's and the 10. My question is, how would the speakers, especially the 10", sound in an open air 'box' (the 'box' being the full trunk)? Anyone ever do this back when stereos were cool?
bfeeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:52 PM   #2
Howaitoguru

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfeeney View Post
I'm going to completely redo my sound system soon since the speakers were blown by the previous owner. I'm going to get a touchscreen radio (don't know which one yet) and Kicker speakers. I'm doing 3.5's in the dash, 6.5's in the door and was thinking about doing 6x9's in the rear since 3.5's in the back are about useless. I want a 10" sub for the bass since 6x9's only do so much, which isn't much in that department. I mostly listen to metal like Slipknot, Cradle Of Filth and Sepultura but occasionally I'll pop in some 90's rap. I was thinking about removing the back section of the rear seats and making a panel out of fiberglass to mount the 6x9's and the 10. My question is, how would the speakers, especially the 10", sound in an open air 'box' (the 'box' being the full trunk)? Anyone ever do this back when stereos were cool?

You don’t really need a 10 in our cars if you were going to get one though I wouldn’t get a ported one because our cars are already cheap as hell it would cause so much more rattling than you already hear with a stock car. JL has a stealth box that’s a 10 and it’s sealed. They got really loud already. But that’s just my opinion. I would look into OEM+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Howaitoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:38 PM   #3
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Drives: Then-1977 Celica GT Now-2017 860SE
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfeeney View Post
My question is, how would the speakers, especially the 10", sound in an open air 'box' (the 'box' being the full trunk)?
Some info here:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144299
LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:24 PM   #4
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
can't do a 10" free air. too small of a space to be considered free air. i've run the numbers, a few times, it comes in at a big ported box, but always run stuck at the uncontrolled venting of the 'box' no way to really tune that venting... at 6.9cu ft, it's almost the right size for a 'sealed' enclosure for a single 15".

get a box:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11372440561...cAAOSwkFZcGlCj

i also wouldn't bother with 6x9's. the rear speaker locations are big open cavities that aren't easily sealed, so there won't be any improvement in audio response putting a set of 6x9's back there.

i run a 10" ultimax, previously a 10" peerless xxls. it works just fine.
Old 06-05-2021, 01:54 PM   #5
bfeeney

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was thinking that the 10" wouldn't work great like that, but I've never tried it. I think I'm going to make this idea work because I think a wall with a sub and two 6x9's would look pretty cool, and I like my music. I was bored today so I took the back part of the seat out and made a cardboard template of the opening. I have fiberglass stuff left over from a go kart project, so I fiberglassed the template with 5 layers. I can make a box with the correct volume on the backside for the sub.

As for the rattling, I don't intend to have a thumping system that you can hear 3 blocks away. I've had two 12's before, its kinda cool. Not for metal. I don't think I'll have this one 10" up enough to make the car rattle. I am going to take a scrap piece of the carpet I'm using to cover everything and stick it behind the license plate, that rattling drives me nuts. I'll also carpet the trunk lid so the sound waves don't directly hit the metal.
Old 06-05-2021, 02:26 PM   #6
soundman98

i had to dynamat the rear parcel shelf and the plastic trim connecting the parcel shelf to the trunk/cab opening. they rattle even at low volumes. at high volumes, it was almost louder than the sub!
Old 06-05-2021, 06:51 PM   #7
bfeeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i had to dynamat the rear parcel shelf and the plastic trim connecting the parcel shelf to the trunk/cab opening. they rattle even at low volumes. at high volumes, it was almost louder than the sub!

Thanks for the info. I'll cover it with something when I do this. I changed my mind on the 6x9's, Amazon has a 4 pack of the Kicker 6.5's for a little cheaper.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:57 PM   #8
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
You can do an infinite baffle setup. I'm in the process of installing 2 12's in an IB trunk setup. I had 2 10s in a 4th order enclosure but wanted a little more trunk space, so IB it is.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:43 AM   #9
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbkk View Post
You can do an infinite baffle setup. I'm in the process of installing 2 12's in an IB trunk setup. I had 2 10s in a 4th order enclosure but wanted a little more trunk space, so IB it is.
are you sealing off the numerous holes in the rear parcel shelve to maintain the rear wave separation?

definitely curious how it works out for you but still suspicious that there's not enough airspace there for IB. especially 2-12's...
Old 06-12-2021, 11:00 AM   #10
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
are you sealing off the numerous holes in the rear parcel shelve to maintain the rear wave separation?

definitely curious how it works out for you but still suspicious that there's not enough airspace there for IB. especially 2-12's...
Yep, taking my time to seal off everything. I put deadener on both the top and bottom of the parcel shelf. I’ll seal the baffle sides off as well. The subs I’m using are made for small enclosures (Stereo Integrity SQLs). I discussed it with my original installer and he said the SQL 15s would work in the same area, but I didn’t want to shoehorn 15s in the trunk, lol!

Last edited by kmbkk; 06-12-2021 at 10:46 PM.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmbkk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-12-2021)