follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #29
meeks
slide to unlock

Drives: 2013 FR-S Raven Black
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusb3 View Post
is this clicking everything time you drive or only when you move off example from a light or dead stop???
It used to be like that. Now its almost everytime, deceleration, acceleration or any sudden touch of the throttle.
meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to meeks For This Useful Post:
lexusb3 (09-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #30
lexusb3
Banned

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
ohh lol then i think i hear mine hahah but i mean i been beating the hell outa mine tho! and you guys see the power i make on my sig. Mine only happens when i move off just for like a second or like a click or 2
lexusb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #31
Carwhisperer

Drives: A lot of supercars.
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeks View Post
It used to be like that. Now its almost everytime, deceleration, acceleration or any sudden touch of the throttle.
Yep. I can feel when mine ticks now.
Carwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #32
markmatley
Shipping to Hawaii?...

Drives: '13 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
We just finished, it wasn't too bad once we had the right tools. Basically we had to remove the axle nut, disconnect the brake line, LCA and toe arm from the hub. from there you can have someone hold the hub up and out while you remove the axle from the hub.

Then you just have to pry the axle out of the diff like normal.
About the prying part..is there a c-clip or anything fancy needing to pull off? Or does it smoothly pop off when you remove everything holding the wheel hub?
Old 06-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #33
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
yep. i tried retorquing mine to no avail, unfortunately. The replacement seems to have fixed it though.
i'm having trouble finding the torque numbers for the various rear axle related bolts. Could you provide them? I'm having the click/tick noise when starting from a stop and sometimes when changing gears and would like to try tightening them first before I drop $$ on a new axle.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:51 PM   #34
Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
i'm having trouble finding the torque numbers for the various rear axle related bolts. Could you provide them? I'm having the click/tick noise when starting from a stop and sometimes when changing gears and would like to try tightening them first before I drop $$ on a new axle.
If you're referring to the rear axle nut, that's 136 ft-lbs. Better still, get a new axle nut (only a few dollars from the dealer) and replace the old one. Torque to spec, then crimp the lip of the nut using a punch pin.

If you're referring to the 4 rear hub/bearing bolts, I think that's 50 ft-lbs.
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fizz For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-08-2014), stockysnail (06-02-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 12:15 AM   #35
OmarYasin

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
OmarYasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #36
Flat Black VW

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So any aftermarket axles out there that are better?

My car is mostly stock and I'd rather not put another set of stock axles on if the cv is just gonna blow out again in another 20k
Flat Black VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #37
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Black VW View Post
So any aftermarket axles out there that are better?

My car is mostly stock and I'd rather not put another set of stock axles on if the cv is just gonna blow out again in another 20k
Driveshaft Shop
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:24 PM   #38
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmatley View Post
About the prying part..is there a c-clip or anything fancy needing to pull off? Or does it smoothly pop off when you remove everything holding the wheel hub?
I've done a lot of diff work recently that requires removing the axles. There is a circlip on the axle, but it's not super difficult to overcome.

Here is how I've been doing it:
1) I have a bearing splitter that I got from Harbor Freight (to pull the bearing off of the pinion gear). I put that around the end of the axle that is solid (black). Do not put it around the dust cover (silver).

2) I then use a pry bar between the diff and the bearing splitter and wiggle it furiously until it unseats the axle from the diff. Then it just slides off.

To put it back into the diff, I just hit the edge of that black piece on the axle until it seats back into the diff. You should replace the circlips if you follow the factory service manual recommendation (I'm betting the new axles come with them).
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kodyo For This Useful Post:
MINOCIN (09-08-2014), Thrustin (09-13-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #39
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyo View Post
I've done a lot of diff work recently that requires removing the axles. There is a circlip on the axle, but it's not super difficult to overcome.

Here is how I've been doing it:
1) I have a bearing splitter that I got from Harbor Freight (to pull the bearing off of the pinion gear). I put that around the end of the axle that is solid (black). Do not put it around the dust cover (silver).

2) I then use a pry bar between the diff and the bearing splitter and wiggle it furiously until it unseats the axle from the diff. Then it just slides off.

To put it back into the diff, I just hit the edge of that black piece on the axle until it seats back into the diff. You should replace the circlips if you follow the factory service manual recommendation (I'm betting the new axles come with them).
When you removed your axles did you unbolt the diff to get it out or did you unbolt all the suspension, brake, and wheel side stuff? Seems to be two different ways to do it from what I've read.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #40
ShutterSpeed

Drives: Olive Drab/Army FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I've broken two axles, stock and Driveshaft Shop. It boils down to the car being lowered mostly. Whenever you lower the car the axle geometry gets completely messed up. It puts too great of an angle on the inner CV joint which causes the cradle holding all the ball bearings to break. Best way to remedy this if you want to be low is to buy the PBM Subframe and Diff Risers. I went thru hell and back though to use these with my DSS axles.

When the DSS axles "broke" they froze/seized at the outer joint. Not sure the reasoning behind this but thats what happened.

I have a full write up on my adventures into solving the infamous clicking noise here.

Last edited by ShutterSpeed; 12-26-2014 at 11:58 AM.
ShutterSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShutterSpeed For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (01-01-2016), MINOCIN (04-30-2015)
Old 12-26-2014, 11:00 AM   #41
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
When you removed your axles did you unbolt the diff to get it out or did you unbolt all the suspension, brake, and wheel side stuff? Seems to be two different ways to do it from what I've read.
I was removing the diff, so I unbolted the diff and was able to detach the axles to remove it. But if you are removing the axle for replacement, I imagine you'd leave the diff bolted up and remove the hub components to get the axle out.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kodyo For This Useful Post:
stockysnail (12-26-2014)
Old 03-02-2015, 02:43 AM   #42
ysr50guy

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
So after changing my axles I found out the easiest way to do it is by unbolting the differential and lowereing it. Its also a big plus because you don't touch none of your suspension so you don't need a alignment afterwards. Here's a quick diy for anyone planning on tackling this on their own:
1. Jack up car and support with jack stands.
2. Remove the wheel on the side you will be replacing the axle on. Pull the ebrake and remove the axle nut, you need a 32mm socket.
3. Jack up the lower control arm in till your shocks start compressing and the whole car raises just slightly. This puts the axle in a angle and makes it easier to remove.
4. I use a harbor freight 24in tire iron and rubber mallet to pull the axle from the differential, super easy you just need one good hit. (Axle won't come off completely you only need to pull it 2 or 3 inches)
5. Now you need to support the differential with a jack and unbolt the 5 bolts that holds it in place, 2 on the side and 3 on the rear. Impact gun makes the job easy.
6. Start lowering the differential in till you have enough angle for the axle to pop off. Make sure diffrential doesn't tilt to the side or it will leak oil.
7. To remove the other side of the axle you just give it a small tap where you remove the 32mm nut and pull it out of the hub assembly.
To reinstall new axle just follow instructions in reverse order.
ysr50guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ysr50guy For This Useful Post:
ChrisD (04-29-2015), DAEMANO (01-01-2016), DocWalt (01-05-2016), stockysnail (03-02-2015), Sypher (10-18-2018)