follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
driftking96

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S, 1998 Honda Accord
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation White smoke, burning smell, puddle of brown fluid leaking.

Earlier in a previous post, I couldn't get my engine to run as it would crank and stall right after. Now I am able to get the engine to run, but I have to keep using the throttle to maintain high RPMs to have it running as it won't idle on its own. I tried running my OBD using Torque Pro and I got a misfire detected and 2 historic faults (pictures attached) along with vehicle test results.

After I ran my CEL test, I noticed a burning smell and white smoke coming from the engine. I immediately shut it off and investigated and I heard a knocking sound inside the engine and (oilpan?)pan below it. I don't have a radiator or coolant as the pipes, and actual stuff is broken from the accident. I only ran the car for few mins but I feel like I may have overheated it by trying to maintain engine using throttle. I have uploaded video of the smoke and knocking sound. Also when I checked underneath I found a puddle of brown fluid (engine oil?) on the ground and it was leaking from the passenger side underneath the car close to the front (uploaded pics and video for that too). Any idea what I did wrong and what is wrong and how I could go about diagnosing the problem and fixing it? Please don't be a **** and say negative things here, I'm doing this out of my love and passion to fix and learn about my FR-S and I need some guidance. Thanks in advance.

FYI: Working on a rebuild/trying to fix car after accident.

Video of smoke and knocking sound after engine was shut off: https://vid.me/wFYb

Video of oil leak/puddle: https://vid.me/6Ptd

Pictures of oil leak, CEL codes, Vehichle test results from OBDII and Torque Pro: http://imgur.com/a/WwIrD
driftking96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It virtually impossible to diagnose accident damge via pictures and obd codes.

Dont run engine without coolant.

It looks like you have an engine oil leak could be anywhere or annyting even cracked block. pullit apart and find the leak. The smoke is likely oil dripping onto hot exhaust. The sound in video is metal expanding or contracting likely exhaust and is normal whwn cooling down.

If you getting knocking noises when engine running thats bad.

Im not being mean here but i suggest you get a qualified mechanic to inspect you car before you start it again . The obd codes only indicate electrical ecu or sensor problems and it appears you have a throttle actuator or position sensor problem.
But these codes do not indicate or show mechanical problems they just show the effects.

Get someone to look at it else you will likely cause further damage
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-20-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 10:10 PM   #3
driftking96

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S, 1998 Honda Accord
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
It virtually impossible to diagnose accident damge via pictures and obd codes.

Dont run engine without coolant.

It looks like you have an engine oil leak could be anywhere or annyting even cracked block. pullit apart and find the leak. The smoke is likely oil dripping onto hot exhaust. The sound in video is metal expanding or contracting likely exhaust and is normal whwn cooling down.

If you getting knocking noises when engine running thats bad.

Im not being mean here but i suggest you get a qualified mechanic to inspect you car before you start it again . The obd codes only indicate electrical ecu or sensor problems and it appears you have a throttle actuator or position sensor problem.
But these codes do not indicate or show mechanical problems they just show the effects.

Okay thanks for the advise and the info man, I'll ask a few of my mechanic friends and see if they can take a look at it for me.
driftking96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:53 AM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Im not being mean here but i suggest you get a qualified mechanic to inspect you car before you start it again . .............
I totally agree with steve99.

@driftking96 ...... I can appreciate your wanting to fix your car yourself and learn while you are doing it.

That's how we learn. HOWEVER, there usually comes a time on a learning curve, that one needs to admit they need some "hands on" help.

I feel you need more time looking over a mechanics shoulder ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:11 AM   #5
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
trial and error is usually how you learn and if you don't want to spend some big $$ repairing your mistakes, take it to a qualified mechanic and not a backyard mechanic. and especially don't run your engine for a few minutes and revving it up high with no coolant... come on... lol.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:54 AM   #6
Theratt1

Drives: Blown engine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Seems like it overheated and split the block halves. Thats my guess. And if it's knocking. Well Cross your fingers but you probably need a new engine.
Theratt1 is offline   Reply With Quote