follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-27-2020, 08:15 PM   #15
troyguitar

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoenthusiastasm View Post
Thank you all for your insight and advice. True, I have only seen a couple of SSC last year. I run the Depot and with NEPA. STX just seems like a slippery lope. I’ll have to look long and hard. I definitely have a ways to go to find the limits of the car in its stock form. I may just do camber bolts and perhaps a stiffer bar up front, but not sure about the bar. Fearful of understeer like I had in my Miata before
I don't know you but if your car is anything like mine I'm going to guess that we'll have just as much fun running in DS without spending thousands of dollars on mods.

These cars aren't fast but they're fun as hell out of the box. Get tires and an alignment and bring it out.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:19 AM   #16
cueball89

Drives: 23 BRZ 15 Impreza
Quote:
Thank you all for your insight and advice. True, I have only seen a couple of SSC last year. I run the Depot and with NEPA. STX just seems like a slippery lope. I’ll have to look long and hard. I definitely have a ways to go to find the limits of the car in its stock form. I may just do camber bolts and perhaps a stiffer bar up front, but not sure about the bar. Fearful of understeer like I had in my Miata before

Find me at the Depot, gray STX BRZ with green numbers. Happy to give you a ride along. 19-20mm front bar won't give you understeer in street trim from my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
I don't know you but if your car is anything like mine I'm going to guess that we'll have just as much fun running in DS without spending thousands of dollars on mods.

These cars aren't fast but they're fun as hell out of the box. Get tires and an alignment and bring it out.

I ran DS for 2 or 3 years and switched to STX last year, the car is even more fun with big tires and coilovers.
cueball89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cueball89 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 10:25 AM   #17
justint5387

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
SCC is markedly cheaper due to the restrictions on what you can run

In STX i had well over 9 grand in components to stay competative.

Titanium exhaust, custom tune on 91, over 3 grand in suspension components, another 2k for tires and wheels, brakes depending on if you have brembos or upgrade to something with a bigger pad ( though id swear up and down the stock non brembos are enough "pad" for autox) and you know the usual sorts of harness bar, harness, various bushings, braces, the karcepts bar.....
Doing it wrong imo.

You can get it done on Megans, 17x9 w/245, stock brakes, front bar, exhaust, tune.

The rest of the stuff you mention doesn't do anything. Honestly, if you have those stuff and your excuse of losing is modification, you need to work on your driving.
justint5387 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justint5387 For This Useful Post:
14stu (01-28-2020), cueball89 (01-28-2020), e1_griego (01-28-2020), strat61caster (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 11:23 AM   #18
MaverickMonk

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
And here I’m in STX just because I knew I wouldn’t be able to not tinker with the car. Modding is half the fun! Heck, I’m still salty I wasn’t able to throw in a lightweight flywheel when the clutch was out, and that those BA looking Perrin gurney flaps would move me out of class

So STX is saving me money I guess
MaverickMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:59 AM   #19
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There is a guy in CCR that went from SSC to STX and PAX'd really well last year with nothing more than off the shelf coilovers, 17x9's, Bridgestones, and the front bar from the SSC kit. And that is a big region that draws people from all over the southeast and has a national site.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:21 PM   #20
tony_r

Drives: '15 STX
Quote:
Originally Posted by justint5387 View Post
Doing it wrong imo.

You can get it done on Megans, 17x9 w/245, stock brakes, front bar, exhaust, tune.

The rest of the stuff you mention doesn't do anything. Honestly, if you have those stuff and your excuse of losing is modification, you need to work on your driving.
Boom. I cant believe ya'll are still debating what's competitive and thinking anything over 5k is the ticket to win.
tony_r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tony_r For This Useful Post:
14stu (01-28-2020), cueball89 (01-28-2020), snoxracer183 (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 09:36 PM   #21
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I wasnt even debating. if you want to join STX and have a good time

Koni Yellows
RCE Yellows
Camber Plates
Rear Control arm
OFT with Canned Stage 2 tune for 91 oct ( no e85)
rpf1 on 245's federals RS-RR
Good Sway bars (im running a 25mm front perrin and '13 frs rear bar"
Tune for as much negative camber as you wanna run up front

Skip the exhaust, skip the short throw shifter, skip the intake

can be had for less than 2 grand if you are lucky and dont mind used

I just went over the parts I put into my car over the course of a few years after I started out driving the cheaper stuff. Bottoming out the Konis, needing more spring rate, wanting more sway adjust-ability, corner balance ability, and a little more torque, adjusting brake bias. all the fiddly stuff

I dont know why guys are attacking me here. The place to do that was 2019 STX set up thread.

And I dont know about other regions but Socal, both san Diego and cal club has some seriously fast guys in STX, so yes to "stay competitive" you gotta wheel really hard. and it gets sorta unfun knowing you got chops but now the next guy threw on A052's and wheel warmers between runs while you are huddling around your federals sipping coffee

getting back to the main topic. SCC is hard to drive and STX is more fun, STX is a slipper slope depending how far you want to go, cause it offers more that you can go. I hated the idea of being restricted on what exact parts and tires to run as i still street drive my own car. So Street Touring is a classic and timeless category for car enthusiasts to conform to. easy as that.
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:57 PM   #22
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I dont know why guys are attacking me here. The place to do that was 2019 STX set up thread.
Because it's one thing to decide to spend a bunch of money, it's another to tell someone they need to spend a bunch of money too to be competitive when the consensus is against that notion.

SoCal STX is strong, but you're disagreeing with about a dozen combined STX trophy finishes at Nats.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
14stu (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 10:11 PM   #23
justint5387

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
And I dont know about other regions but Socal, both san Diego and cal club has some seriously fast guys in STX, so yes to "stay competitive" you gotta wheel really hard.
We ran with those guys here in Norcal and nationally

Last edited by justint5387; 01-28-2020 at 10:24 PM.
justint5387 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justint5387 For This Useful Post:
14stu (01-28-2020), strat61caster (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 11:10 PM   #24
Clutch Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Because it's one thing to decide to spend a bunch of money, it's another to tell someone they need to spend a bunch of money too to be competitive when the consensus is against that notion.
again I didnt tell the OP to do anything, I told him, this is what I did.

Quote:
SCC is markedly cheaper due to the restrictions on what you can run

In STX I had well over 9 grand in components to stay competitive.
Then instantly got attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
The term "to stay competitive" is a wonky term. You're relating spending money to going quicker. It's a slippery slope when you get to that point as you can get lost in the noise of "I need to spend this $$$$ to go faster" whereas really it's just perhaps looking at your driving style and seeing what you can do different.
to which I didnt respond, because he's right "stay competitive" is wonky

second statement: perhaps its my driving, again didnt counter argue, because its true, perhaps it was my driving style. the truth is I intentionally ran 225's in STX to practice with rotating the car without depending on grip. and I was still top of the pack the days I could attend ( couldnt show up to many events due to the job..)

then get hit again

Quote:
Originally Posted by justint5387 View Post
Doing it wrong imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_r View Post
Boom. I cant believe ya'll are still debating what's competitive and thinking anything over 5k is the ticket to win.
what exactly did you want me to do? just roll over and leave it alone? Im trying to relay information on what I did, and then further the point by what "could" work as a basic set up for cheaper than SSC.

what do you want me to do? Tell the Op to listen to the other posters cause they are national champs and I'm just a casual cause I can't commit to a season?

My 10 years collective of casual autox and track experience doesn't mean anything?

Quote:
SoCal STX is strong, but you're disagreeing with about a dozen combined STX trophy finishes at Nats.
And I havent disagreed with anything, you can set up a car for under 2k in STX
Old 01-28-2020, 11:20 PM   #25
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
And I havent disagreed with anything, you can set up a car for under 2k in STX
The question is what it takes to build a competitive car.
'19 champ won on a $5k build.

Sorry you got offended.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:24 PM   #26
Clutch Dog

Quote:
The question is what it takes to build a competitive car.
'19 champ won on a $5k build.

Sorry you got offended.
Quote:
Not happy with fighting Focus RS’ and Civic Type R’s , so I may have to change classes to be competitive. How much have you spent on your STX and SSC cars. I drive my car year round and can’t lower too much for winters. 2013 BRZ
so you where answering the first part of the statement

I answered the second part.

yeah I'm sorry I even bothered

I will say this to the OP

in good faith, I used @strat61caster's list as a guideline for my own build, before at the end of this year going back down to CS
Old 01-29-2020, 07:33 AM   #27
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
I agree with Clutch Dog in that it is very easy to spend $9k or more without buying anything really crazy.

You don't NEED to, but it is something to consider entering the class. Especially if you are the kind that likes really nice things or worries about getting outspent/outprepped.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:49 AM   #28
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
correct me if im wrong but wouldnt getting a 5lb battery save just as much weight as a catback at 1/4th the price? So id you were trying to minmax wouldnt it be best to skip the exhaust?
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote