follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
mkivalex

Drives: 13 Scion FRS, 93 JDM Toyota Supra
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Airlift on the track?

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Airlift digital kit. Reasons are, Im up in Canada and some of the roads are just crap, Id like to be able to take the car to the cottage without worrying about bottoming out and what not. I like a low car, but as Im getting a little older I also appreciate a functional car. Id also still like to be able to drive hard with the occasional track day.

Has anybody driven with these on the track? How do the perform? Im not looking to get out there and win races, just have fun once a month or so at the track with a few friends.

So I am curious to know of any feedback on the units.
mkivalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #2
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
For casual fun, they'll be okay, but just keep in mind that you're on a bag, not a damper, so it won't take bumps as well.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Jive Turkey (06-02-2014)
Old 05-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
There are airbag top hats or something like that. They combine bags with a spring/shock combo.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
mkivalex

I was under the impression that the way the Airlift is designed you still do have the dampening of a strut, they even offer dampening adjustability, so I don't quite understand when you say your on a bag no a damper.

I feel that would be true for traditional air bag set ups, but with a "air spring" on a strut body with adjustable dampening I don't know if I agree?
Old 05-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #5
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I would think the bags would work OK for tracking if the shocks were valved correctly for the equivalent spring rates of the bags.

Not sure how the spring rates of bags are measured, you might just get what you get at a certain height. More pressure would increase the spring rates, but would also raise the car, so you'd just have to match the shock valving to whatever height you run on track.

I suspect it would be very soft rates compared to normal spring track rates.
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Golf R, 15 Audi S4
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I am personal friends with the owner of ABMotoring, who sells airlift. If you have any questions please let me know. Both the owner and a close mutual partner of ours have Airlift setups on their BRZ's. They both have been on a track for road race and drift, as well as street drifting and daily duties.

I have been in both cars and they feel awesome.

Feel free to PM me and I will get you in touch and get you a good deal.

@ill roller
OFT Remote, OFH, Motiv OP & FP, Perrin 3' CB & 3' IT, Setrab/MoCal cooler, STI motor mounts, Wilwood 6/4 plot F&R 12.8 kits, Brake ducts, complete Whiteline catalog, complete bushing replacement, OSGiken clutch & Diff, 4.556 FD, Stance W/Spec valving 8/9 Swift.
TouchMyHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TouchMyHonda For This Useful Post:
LXXXV1 (11-02-2015)
Old 05-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
There are airbag top hats or something like that. They combine bags with a spring/shock combo.
You might be thinking of the Fortune Auto Muller air cups.
http://www.dsgperformance.com/Fortun...stem-Universal

It's basically a coilover add-on that gives you an inch or two of height to get over taller obstacles. It does say you can ride on them while they're inflated, but that the spring rate will be increased due to the springs compressing when the cups are aired up.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
mkivalex

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
You might be thinking of the Fortune Auto Muller air cups.
http://www.dsgperformance.com/Fortun...stem-Universal

It's basically a coilover add-on that gives you an inch or two of height to get over taller obstacles. It does say you can ride on them while they're inflated, but that the spring rate will be increased due to the springs compressing when the cups are aired up.

Yes I have seen these before, They alone basically cost the price of the full airlift kit.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
What are the comparative spring rates of bag systems?

Can you get stiffer or softer bags?
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
mkivalex

Spring rate would be based on pressure in the bags. So I think your right in that it would ride differently at different heights.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #11
was385

Drives: MT WRB BRZ Limited, 2007 911s
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkivalex View Post
I was under the impression that the way the Airlift is designed you still do have the dampening of a strut, they even offer dampening adjustability, so I don't quite understand when you say your on a bag no a damper.

I feel that would be true for traditional air bag set ups, but with a "air spring" on a strut body with adjustable dampening I don't know if I agree?
I don't mean to be obnoxious but you asked for opinions, you got one that was somewhat negative towards their performance potential from a very knowledgable source, and then pretty much disregarded it. Based on that, it seems like you've already made up your mind and are just looking for people to confirm your opinion. If that's the case, just buy them.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:18 PM   #12
mkivalex

Quote:
Originally Posted by was385 View Post
I don't mean to be obnoxious but you asked for opinions, you got one that was somewhat negative towards their performance potential from a very knowledgable source, and then pretty much disregarded it. Based on that, it seems like you've already made up your mind and are just looking for people to confirm your opinion. If that's the case, just buy them.

Not true at all. I just don't understand how it isn't dampened if its on traditional strut, but only the spring is replaced with an "air spring" and was looking for a further explanation.

I was hoping to get some real world experience of people who have used this setup on the track.

...oh and KCCO
The Following User Says Thank You to mkivalex For This Useful Post:
was385 (05-29-2014)
Old 05-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #13
Lawn_Mower

Drives: GTI, BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Obviously this is going to be a little biased, but check this out, a pretty cool video.

Edit: BRZ part starts around 4:40 if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uppK8z0lDg&list=PLDB9674D6EC8C8593&featur e=share"]Air Suspension vs. Coilovers - YouTube[/ame]
Lawn_Mower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:37 PM   #14
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Golf R, 15 Audi S4
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn_Mower View Post
Obviously this is going to be a little biased, but check this out, a pretty cool video.

Edit: BRZ part starts around 4:40 if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

This was my friend form ABMotoring that helped Airlift with this video. Those are his cars (Golf R and BRZ) that they are testing with and they have a very close relationship...

Am I wasting my time here trying to offer help? Idk why you would ignore my post. I know the direct contacts to what you need.
OFT Remote, OFH, Motiv OP & FP, Perrin 3' CB & 3' IT, Setrab/MoCal cooler, STI motor mounts, Wilwood 6/4 plot F&R 12.8 kits, Brake ducts, complete Whiteline catalog, complete bushing replacement, OSGiken clutch & Diff, 4.556 FD, Stance W/Spec valving 8/9 Swift.
TouchMyHonda is offline   Reply With Quote