follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2018, 05:26 PM   #29
displacedTexan

Drives: '13 FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Power shift would have literally no impact at all on rockers. If the engine is turning then the rockers are moving. Over reving is about the only abuse that would impact the rockers and as the OP said, he has an auto so over reving isn't even possible. Toyota is totally pulling one over on him.
It is a manual. But, I've never money shifted the car. And I don't bounce it off the rev limiter (which wouldn't be over revving, anyways).

I think they're hoping I just give up.
displacedTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:53 PM   #30
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedTexan View Post
It is a manual. But, I've never money shifted the car. And I don't bounce it off the rev limiter (which wouldn't be over revving, anyways).

I think they're hoping I just give up.

Yeah I was confusing your description with another engine failure thread where he said he had an auto.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:09 PM   #31
displacedTexan

Quote:
Yeah I was confusing your description with another engine failure thread where he said he had an auto.

via Imgflip Meme Generator
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to displacedTexan For This Useful Post:
ermax (06-27-2018), Impureclient (06-28-2018), max20s14 (06-27-2018), Summerwolf (06-27-2018), Ultramaroon (06-27-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 07:10 PM   #32
displacedTexan

Welp, Toyota Corporate was just about useless. Update in the 1st post.

I love this car, but I don't feel like owning a Toyota after this.
The Following User Says Thank You to displacedTexan For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #33
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,815 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedTexan View Post
Welp, Toyota Corporate was just about useless. Update in the 1st post.

I love this car, but I don't feel like owning a Toyota after this.
hmmm...sound like someone is confused …

I wish you well in getting it straightened out.

One part this ol boy doesn't understand:

"I over revved the engine based on hot spots on the flywheel and wear on the clutch plate".

To anyone, please help me out here, how does hot spots on the flywheel and wear on the clutch plate indicate that an engine had been over revved ??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:34 PM   #34
ermax

I guess in theory the clutch could slip on a mechanical over rev. I find it hard to believe anyone could slip it long enough to create hotspots though. I used to have an Integra and on the drag strip I would on occasion shift into 2nd rather than 4th and over rev it but even then it didn’t create hot spots. It’s not like people misshift and just leave the clutch out until the revs come back in line. In reality you drop the clutch, feel like you hit a brick wall and instantly push the clutch back in. I think this is just their BS excuse to screw a potential repeat customer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-28-2018), Impureclient (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 08:36 PM   #35
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
hmmm...sound To anyone, please help me out here, how does hot spots on the flywheel and wear on the clutch plate indicate that an engine had been over revved ??

humfrz

It doesn't. I can put hot spots on the flywheel without ever going over 3000 RPM.

OP, call their bullshit.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-28-2018), Ultramaroon (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 08:58 PM   #36
displacedTexan

I'm going to attempt to get a print out of the ECU data from the vehicle. The shop tech mentioned they pulled the data from when a misfire code came up after the breakdown. Hopefully there's some data in there that'll help me. I expect the service department to put zero effort into getting me that information, though.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:19 PM   #37
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,518 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
This is just awful. Everything about how they're treating you stinks. I'm truly impressed with how well you are maintaining your cool. I don't know how I would handle it.

Best wishes.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:37 PM   #38
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,815 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
This is just awful. Everything about how they're treating you stinks. I'm truly impressed with how well you are maintaining your cool. I don't know how I would handle it.

Best wishes.
Let me guess ..

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:17 AM   #39
shaynek

Drives: BRZ Limited; GR86
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
we 13 owners need to file for a class action law suite against Toyota/Subaru lol. they sell garbage to customers and try to deny warranty. I personally would never buy another garbage from Subaru/Toyota
shaynek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shaynek For This Useful Post:
ermax (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 06:54 AM   #40
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynek View Post
we 13 owners need to file for a class action law suite against Toyota/Subaru lol. they sell garbage to customers and try to deny warranty. I personally would never buy another garbage from Subaru/Toyota

I agree. Between the rocker failures and bearing failures. They at least made an attempt to fix the rocker failures but nothing has really changed with regards to oiling so I firmly believe with time we will start seeing weekly reports of 2014s spinning bearings. This engine should have only been used in a family car with a 6000RPM redline.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
shaynek (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 08:21 AM   #41
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I agree. Between the rocker failures and bearing failures. They at least made an attempt to fix the rocker failures but nothing has really changed with regards to oiling so I firmly believe with time we will start seeing weekly reports of 2014s spinning bearings. This engine should have only been used in a family car with a 6000RPM redline.
They made several changes in late 13 and one of those may very well have fixed the oil issue. I understand you got caught by it but that does not for one second mean it is epidemic nor even common. Of the minority on here that have had the issue almost all were the #4 bearing and most of them involved blockage of the oil journals to that bearing. The mileage for most of these failures was under 50K. Your failure is extremely rare in that you had higher mileage and it was not the #4 bearing.
As far as the rod failures go they have virtually all been under boost. I would guess that the ones that were not suffered an serious over rev mis shift even if the owners swear they never did.
There is zero evidence to start running around yelling the shy is falling and that all the cars are going to fail.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #42
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
They made several changes in late 13 and one of those may very well have fixed the oil issue. I understand you got caught by it but that does not for one second mean it is epidemic nor even common. Of the minority on here that have had the issue almost all were the #4 bearing and most of them involved blockage of the oil journals to that bearing. The mileage for most of these failures was under 50K. Your failure is extremely rare in that you had higher mileage and it was not the #4 bearing.
As far as the rod failures go they have virtually all been under boost. I would guess that the ones that were not suffered an serious over rev mis shift even if the owners swear they never did.
There is zero evidence to start running around yelling the shy is falling and that all the cars are going to fail.
rod != rocker

Like you say, rods seem to only go under boost which is totally expected and the same on any engine. But we aren't talking about rods here.

#4 was from blockage (although I've only seen you say that, I'd love to read more about a case like this), #2 and #3 are common to go because they share a gallery. Follow this thread closely:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=742

It's got lots of very good info and from what I am reading oiling has NOT improved on newer engines. What changes are you referring to that improved oiling? I've read one post where someone heard from a friend that they changed the galeries in the timing cover but having taken mine appart I really don't see where the timing cover could be a mierical fix. Element Tuning claims they have been able to solve the oiling issue with a mod to the block.

All I know is I've never had a car that spins a bearing unless it's low on oil. I drive the piss out of all my cars (red line at least 30 times every single day) and get tons of miles out of all of them. The FRS has been drivin 1/2 as hard (not even seeing red line most days) as I've drivin all my other cars because it sounds like a ticking time bomb.