follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
CoolCoolCool

Drives: 2013 Argento Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Coolx3's Argento FR-S

Just picked her up Monday (8/13). Hadn't even heard of the car till just after the release in June. Probably a good thing cause the 8 weeks between a deposit and it arriving were rough! Can't imagine waiting 4-5 years! Lucked out with the Argento . I would have picked it or the aquamarine given the choice.

First few seconds with her at the dealership:

Had the dealership fill her up with premium and I went with. They were planning on unleaded (as I had expected) and acted surprised that I was planning on using premium.

I should have some better pics up soon, these were just taken with my iPhone. The Argento looks beautiful in person. As many people have said, photos just don't do it justice. Maybe my girlfriend will help! She was probably even more excited for the car to come in than I was!

Within 5 minutes of leaving the dealership I had already gotten my first honk and thumbs up! Very cool! I'm just so relieved she's finally home. Less than 48 hours into ownership and already 300 miles on the odo (I normally only 6000 miles/year). Haven't even left the city limits. She really does beg to be driven!

Last edited by CoolCoolCool; 08-15-2012 at 11:52 PM.
CoolCoolCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #2

Drives: '23 CWP BRZ
Thanked 1,126 Times in 533 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Garage
If that is your garage in the first picture, holy hell that's gorgeous!

Congrats on the car, enjoy it!
636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
CoolCoolCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 636 View Post
If that is your garage in the first picture, holy hell that's gorgeous!

Congrats on the car, enjoy it!

I wish! That was actually at the dealership, first time I laid eyes on her. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
norm24

Drives: TSX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Totally agree about Argento. Definitely a color worth seeing in person! Color jumped from my least to my most favorite after seeing it in person.
norm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
kendalldwhite

Drives: Mint-Tiffany blue FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I picked mine up Monday too with 12 miles on it. But i only have 66 miles on her in almost 4 days.. congrats on the car and nice color! and future mods u planing on?
kendalldwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
OldSkool86

Drives: Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Congrats. Great color!
Old 08-16-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
CoolCoolCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendalldwhite View Post
I picked mine up Monday too with 12 miles on it. But i only have 66 miles on her in almost 4 days.. congrats on the car and nice color! and future mods u planing on?
Thanks, love the firestorm too! Nothing serious for a while, probably a TRD supercharger when available to add a nice 50-60hp. Girlfriend said what many have noted about the antenna looking like an RC car (her words were actually Alfalfa from the little rascals ) so I'll be grabbing a "shark fin" type antenna soon. Very happy with it as is, though!
Old 08-16-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
CoolCoolCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool86 View Post
Congrats. Great color!
Thanks! I lucked out for sure. The heat here has been killer (110+ for a couple weeks), if it can look sexy while keeping the interior a few degrees cooler, wahoo!
Old 08-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #9
kendalldwhite

Drives: Mint-Tiffany blue FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCoolCool View Post
Thanks, love the firestorm too! Nothing serious for a while, probably a TRD supercharger when available to add a nice 50-60hp. Girlfriend said what many have noted about the antenna looking like an RC car (her words were actually Alfalfa from the little rascals ) so I'll be grabbing a "shark fin" type antenna soon. Very happy with it as is, though!
the dealer ship was telling me about the TRD turbo they said it will be really nice. and thanks about the color compliment, Im enjoying it. the stock antenna doesn't look to bad to me. i have a shorty that i havent installed yet im kinda debating1
kendalldwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
CoolCoolCool

72 hours later

After having it for exactly 72 hours, here are my first impressions. Keep in mind that I'm 20, and my only car before this was a 2006 Mazda 6s. 320 miles in:

+ The steering wheel is PERFECT, and I love the steering feel. Really lets you feel the road well, especially for being electric.

+ The seats are fantastic and necessary for such a low, superb handling car. Thank you Toyota/Subaru for realizing the importance of this! Red stitching is a very nice touch, as well.

- I really have to try hard to avoid scuffing/denting the speaker guard/door when getting in and out. I'm 6'3 with most of my height in my legs, so this may not be a problem for everyone.

+ Every time I get out of the car and walk away I find myself glancing back 2-3 times. She really is beautiful!

- I've noticed what many have said about the RPM drop when sitting at a light or parked. It will hover around 1000, then drop to about 500 and the car will shimmy a little. A little concerning, but I haven't experienced any rough noises or anything during this.

+ The microphone for bluetooth calling is superb. I tested it out the day I picked up the car and everyone I spoke with had to be told I was using the car's mic. They couldn't tell the difference!

- The audio system, as many have said, is disappointing, even when switched to the correct setting from "tC" to "FR-S". Hopefully swapping out the speakers isn't as hard as it looks. She needs a good amp, at least.

+ Many people dislike the sound tube which feeds engine noise into the cabin. I haven't driven or heard a porsche in person so I don't have any sound to compare it to, but I enjoy hearing the engine noise! Makes it even more fun to rev and shift. I haven't gone over 4000rpm yet so this could change, but for now it's a plus!

+ The looks and attention you get with this car is amazing for $25k. The hype/fascination may die down a little with time, but its attractiveness will always garner a second look. Just got asked and complimented about the car while filling up for the first time last night!

+ Gas mileage for the first tank was 25.5MPG (Automatic) with relatively spirited driving (hitting 4000rpm every chance I could), probably 50/50 city/highway. Filling up a 13 gallon tank with a quarter left isn't very painful at all, even with Premium sitting at $3.79 in the heartland (>$40 for 10 gallons).

Most of this has been said many times before, but I enjoyed reading everyone else's posts so I thought I'd add my own! Very happy so far! I'll be sure to add more observations and pics as I come down from my "new car high". It may be a while though...

"How are you going to fit?!" (My confused look as I remind my mom and brother they have to sit in back )

Old 08-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Love that first image... I know you said it was taken in the dealership, but it's an incredible & artistic image.

*Idea: If that were to ever be my 'garage', I'd build my room next to it (with the transparent glass as a separation)... So the first thing I'd see every morning would be my car.

... Just my unselfish imagination.

Congrats, and nice color choice... Hope you continue enjoying it!

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
poormans_LFA
FT86Club.com O.G.

Drives: Gunmetal Gundam Wing Zero Custom
does your right knee hit the steering wheel when you go to cover the brakes when preparing to stop?
Old 08-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Congrats
Old 08-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #14
tnt

Drives: argento frs at
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)