follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-03-2022, 10:17 PM   #351
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,788 Times in 3,293 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
Let's try to narrow it down a bit more:

1) Does the noise appear when the key switch is in ACC position?

2) Does the noise appear when the key switch is in the ON position, with the engine NOT running?

3) Does the noise appear when the key switch is in the ON position, while the engine IS running?
It is there when the music is playing in any one of those scenarios. The static disappears when the music is really low only, and it gets progressively more dominant when music gets louder.

I took off the passenger rear panel to check the ground, and it was rock solid. I undid the sub quick release bolt and reached behind and wiggled some wires to see if that made a difference, and it didn't affect the output of the music playing. I didn't have much time to do much else.

I didn't have much time to really assess everything, but the sub seems fine. I don't know about the rear speakers or tweeters, but the door speakers are both affected, and it just seems like the whole cabin is affected. Tomorrow I will try to isolate the sound by moving the sound around on my head unit. I wish I had my old head unit to eliminate the head unit as the problem.
Old 03-05-2022, 02:09 PM   #352
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
It is there when the music is playing in any one of those scenarios. The static disappears when the music is really low only, and it gets progressively more dominant when music gets louder.

I took off the passenger rear panel to check the ground, and it was rock solid. I undid the sub quick release bolt and reached behind and wiggled some wires to see if that made a difference, and it didn't affect the output of the music playing. I didn't have much time to do much else.

I didn't have much time to really assess everything, but the sub seems fine. I don't know about the rear speakers or tweeters, but the door speakers are both affected, and it just seems like the whole cabin is affected. Tomorrow I will try to isolate the sound by moving the sound around on my head unit. I wish I had my old head unit to eliminate the head unit as the problem.

I would check the speaker wires for any possible shorts to ground.

Unplug the ten-pin connector from the factory amplifier to avoid erroneous readings that the amp may present, then pull the head unit, unplug the ten-pin and six-pin plugs and check for any continuity from each of the speaker output wires on the ten-pin and the six-pin plugs to ground. There should be infinite resistance to ground from each pin.

From there, if that test gives you normal results, ohm out each speaker and look for differences between left and right matching speaker pairs. You might have a blown speaker or filter capacitor.

It wouldn't hurt to check your door speakers at the factory amplifier as well in the same manner as above if no anomalies are present in the first tests.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (03-05-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 10:01 PM   #353
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
I would check the speaker wires for any possible shorts to ground.

Unplug the ten-pin connector from the factory amplifier to avoid erroneous readings that the amp may present, then pull the head unit, unplug the ten-pin and six-pin plugs and check for any continuity from each of the speaker output wires on the ten-pin and the six-pin plugs to ground. There should be infinite resistance to ground from each pin.

From there, if that test gives you normal results, ohm out each speaker and look for differences between left and right matching speaker pairs. You might have a blown speaker or filter capacitor.

It wouldn't hurt to check your door speakers at the factory amplifier as well in the same manner as above if no anomalies are present in the first tests.
I haven't had the time to figure out the issue and test anything, but I was driving today, and I tested the volume like I normally do, and the music was normal, but it only lasted like that for about a minute before it went back to be scratchy again, so I don't know if that means something.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:53 PM   #354
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Quote:
I haven't had the time to figure out the issue and test anything, but I was driving today, and I tested the volume like I normally do, and the music was normal, but it only lasted like that for about a minute before it went back to be scratchy again, so I don't know if that means something.

That could be a speaker wire intermittently touching ground with expansion and contraction of the wire harness from ambient temperature fluctuations, or possibly a bump in the road jarring the wire where it's close to chassis contact.

Or it could be something inside the head unit itself. Sometimes intermittent issues like this can be difficult to track down.
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (03-09-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 09:00 AM   #355
Irace86.2.0

Update: I’ve done nothing, and everything seems to have fixed itself. Hopefully it stays like that.
soundman98 (03-19-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 09:38 AM   #356
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Quote:
Update: I’ve done nothing, and everything seems to have fixed itself. Hopefully it stays like that.

Awesome. I love it when problems just go away by themselves. Like whenever I start hearing a noise, I just crank up the stereo volume so that I can't hear it anymore. Gone just like that!

As for your issue, let's hope it stays that way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (03-19-2022), soundman98 (03-19-2022)

Tags
amp, audio, music, radio, subwoofer