follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-15-2022, 10:08 PM   #1
neoknux_009

Drives: 2012 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help wiring Sony XAV-AX5000

I'm trying to replace my OEM headunit for my 2012 GTS with a Sony XAV-AX5000.

I've purchased some wire-harnesses and gear from as per the instructions here:

https://aerpro.com/vehicles/toyota/toyota-86-2012-2015

The stock head unit is a PZQ60. Here is a wiring diagram (Please not, this image does not necessarily correspond to mine 100%, but it appears to be as close as I could find)

I had to solder:
  • The wire from the Sony harness reverse wire to the corresponding wire from the stock 28 pin.
  • The wire from the Sony harness parking brake wire to the CN4800 parking brake connector wire.
  • The blue wire from the Sony harness to my antenna adapter.

Headunit starts up, but immediately I noticed the Sound quality had been lowered. I tried mucking around with the Equalizer settings, but still felt something was off. At first I thought maybe it was a placebo. In particular the Radio felt a bit weak. While searching, I found out someone else had an issue regarding the Sony unit, particularly the Blue/White wire. See here:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show....php?p=3058234

So I took the headunit back out and started tracing the blue wire which appears to be the AMP turn on. So the soldered Antenna adapter and Sony harness blue wire both connect back to the OEM CN1 Pin. But, to my surprise it connected to nothing!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_V6...ew?usp=sharing

I had a look around, someone in another post said pin 9 on the 28 connector (CN6) could be rerouted, but I did not find anything there. Here is my 28 pin, the darker spots indicate where there is a wire connecting:

The 28 pin connector appears to split out into another one, perhaps something I could hijack there? I could not find a corresponding wire at pin 9 either.

Kind Regards
neoknux_009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:09 AM   #2
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Give this thread a read.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141915
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
neoknux_009 (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 07:25 AM   #3
neoknux_009

Hi @FR-S2GT86,

Thanks for the link. I've read through it and have a better understanding of the blue wire differences, and how the 12v signal would usually be a signal for the amp to turn on.

Here is an image of my Sony headunit wiring:

The aftermarket harness I've gotten has a blue/white wire to provide the antenna its 12v signal, and I have soldered those two wires together. But this wire then branches back towards the OEM harness (harness C in your post).

The problem is that when I look at the back of the OEM harness pin, the blue wire is connecting to nothing. So I think its impossible for the AMP to get its signal to turn on. Do you know of another pin position of where the Amplifier 12v signal wire would be? Or is my best bet to open up where my stock AMP is and follow where its connecting?
Old 01-19-2022, 08:03 AM   #4
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoknux_009 View Post
Hi @FR-S2GT86,

Thanks for the link. I've read through it and have a better understanding of the blue wire differences, and how the 12v signal would usually be a signal for the amp to turn on.

Here is an image of my Sony headunit wiring:

The aftermarket harness I've gotten has a blue/white wire to provide the antenna its 12v signal, and I have soldered those two wires together. But this wire then branches back towards the OEM harness (harness C in your post).

The problem is that when I look at the back of the OEM harness pin, the blue wire is connecting to nothing. So I think its impossible for the AMP to get its signal to turn on. Do you know of another pin position of where the Amplifier 12v signal wire would be? Or is my best bet to open up where my stock AMP is and follow where its connecting?

Did your harness have a wire on pin 8? IIRC the early cars had the amp/antenna turn on wire on pin 8 OR 9 depending if it was a Toyota or Subaru. You may be able to wire 9 to 8.

Worst case scenario, tap the amp wire into the switched 12V on your patch harness.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:28 AM   #5
neoknux_009

With my wiring, there are are actually two 28 pin harnesses. My suspicion is that my my OEM headunit had a different pin which would trigger the 12v AMP signal. Then the adapter would route the wiring two the correct pins. I'll have to open it up again and see what I can find on the weekend.

Edit.

My backup plan is to get a multi-meter and do a continuity test to see where the wire from my amp is ending to my OEM receiver harnesses. I've found this picture in a different topic (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...1&postcount=25), so would I just check where the green wire is connected to?

Last edited by neoknux_009; 01-27-2022 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:35 AM   #6
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoknux_009 View Post
With my wiring, there are are actually two 28 pin harnesses. My suspicion is that my my OEM headunit had a different pin which would trigger the 12v AMP signal. Then the adapter would route the wiring two the correct pins. I'll have to open it up again and see what I can find on the weekend.

Edit.

My backup plan is to get a multi-meter and do a continuity test to see where the wire from my amp is ending to my OEM receiver harnesses. I've found this picture in a different topic (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...1&postcount=25), so would I just check where the green wire is connected to?

Here's a better picture for you. Ignore all the colors, go by pin position. This is for all OEM systems up to model year 2020 WITHOUT the Harman head unit. This is NOT verified yet for model year 2022 and up yet, but I suspect it will also apply to those as well.

Name:  IMG_20210610_133119402~5.jpg
Views: 2072
Size:  455.7 KB

The speaker-level signal inputs are on the left, the speaker outputs are on the right. The wire in the left-middle position is the amplifier turn-on lead that should supply +12 volts to turn your amp on.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:00 PM   #7
neoknux_009

Well, I opened up my boot looking for the amp, and to my surprise there was none at all. I had a look around, apparently the Australian model didn't come with a factory amp. So stock headunit must have been power it before. So I suspect it must have been more capable of driving the speakers. Then would this mean the Sony headunit probably expects there to be one?

Any ideas of a good amplifier that matches well with the Sony? Would adding a sub without new speakers but wort it too?
Old 02-04-2022, 01:47 AM   #8
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
The new headunit is a standard aftermarket head unit. It has no expectations for audio output.

One can wire it straight to speakers using the white/gray/green/purple pairs of wires. One could also add an amp using the aftermarket-standard rca output jacks as well. Personally I prefer not having to integrate aftermarket gear with OEM gear. So this setup is a nicer start to everything.

Only difference here is that you'll need to run your own amp turn-on wire to the amp location instead of having one naturally available in the trunk. Not a big deal if you add an amp, as you've got to run wire anyways
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote