follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Which jab have you had?
Pfizer 53 51.96%
Moderna 27 26.47%
Johnson & Johnson 6 5.88%
AstraZeneca 4 3.92%
Novavax 0 0%
Sputnik 1 0.98%
Convidecia 0 0%
Homebrew with a big dose of something special 11 10.78%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 05:06 PM   #3165
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
I will say that I don't understand why anyone who can work at home doesn't. Not just for the risk of covid or the flu but the driving too. It's just way more effcient and safer. I mean I love to drive but more so when I am going to where I want to go and I don't have to. Any desk job should be done from home. Driving to an office just use a computer is stupid.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Not everybody has a large house with enough extra rooms to have a separate office.

I work out of my living room. Which means I'm basically in the same place 24/7 except when I sleep in my bedroom at night or go out. I also live alone. Which means it's the same shit every day.

Maybe I'm not in a 10x10 cell or whatever but it definitely can feel like being trapped in one place all the time.

Plus, communication isn't nearly as easy sometimes as when you're in the same room with people.

I'm almost positive I already gave these reasons in that other thread, but:

1. as good as internet conference calls can be, there's always some lag or mic issues so you're bound to speak over other people at least once per call, which ruins the flow of conversation. you can't read body/facial expressions, you don't know if a pause in speech is due to the lag/mic issues or simply because said person likes to pause while speaking.
2. it's also easier to get someone's attention at the right time. it's much more obvious when someone is heads-down and deeply focused on a task or when they're more mentally available to chat about work. versus using chat software I have teammates (and my boss) who _always_ have their status set to away and are inconsistently (un)available so it's difficult to know when a good time is to speak to them. Yeah, you can ping them and wait for them to respond when they're ready, but it's easy for someone to see a message come in, "read" it and think "I'll come back to this later", and then forget.

etc etc.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-17-2021), p1l0t (07-15-2021), Spuds (07-16-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 05:13 PM   #3166
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
The IQ topic is a funny one. I had a conversation with a man who originally became very successful from a tech startup. From a very modest background. Anyway, at the time he was in the business of buying businesses and reselling them. He said he was working with an engineering company at the time, with a whole team of engineers. He commented to me that a significant percentage of engineers, as confided by others, are in the Asperger's spectrum. So, their IQ doesn't really describe them in comparison to most people.
IQ, as a measured attribute is a minefield. Far too many of the instruments designed to measure it are really heavily class and culturally biased. I know a lot of what I consider to be really smart people who have limited education and would score average or below on a Stanford Binet. And others who would score high on the S-B and have a laundry list of credentials that I wouldn't cross the street to piss on if they were on fire. That's comparing apples to oranges to some extent. But, I've come to value decency as much as or more than raw intellect in people.
p1l0t (07-16-2021), soundman98 (07-15-2021), Ultramaroon (07-15-2021), Wally86 (07-16-2021), wbradley (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 05:25 PM   #3167
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

@Spike - there are a number of intangibles that same site work offers that remote work does not. To some extent, your issues are probably measurable in terms of your mental health. Problems with the tech, likewise. The harder things to measure are the sense of community that comes with same site work. The camaraderie and social interaction it cultivates create bonds that a zoom conference just can't. Those human contact level interactions just cannot and will not happen with remote work. And I can't count the number of times someone came up with a really good idea during a "water-cooler" conversation or dropping by a colleague's office for coffee and a short chat.

For years and years I was VERY vocally opposed to on-line courses at the University level. Sadly, I suspect I lost friends over it. I never taught anywhere else, but I can only imagine that at the primary and secondary levels it's worse by orders of magnitude. The last year saw my worst concerns realized. Remote work is going to be big for a while. I can only hope we learn how to temper it sooner rather than later.
Wally86 (07-16-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 06:16 PM   #3168
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
You should do a little less of that. Think of something you like - cars for example. I don't spend much time thinking about you guys and I like it like that.
Yet you keep responding to our posts
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (07-15-2021), p1l0t (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 06:47 PM   #3169
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
The IQ topic is a funny one. I had a conversation with a man who originally became very successful from a tech startup. From a very modest background. Anyway, at the time he was in the business of buying businesses and reselling them. He said he was working with an engineering company at the time, with a whole team of engineers. He commented to me that a significant percentage of engineers, as confided by others, are in the Asperger's spectrum. So, their IQ doesn't really describe them in comparison to most people.
Yeah being smart doesn't always equate to common sense...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (07-15-2021), TommyW (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 06:50 PM   #3170
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Not everybody has a large house with enough extra rooms to have a separate office.

I work out of my living room. Which means I'm basically in the same place 24/7 except when I sleep in my bedroom at night or go out. I also live alone. Which means it's the same shit every day.

Maybe I'm not in a 10x10 cell or whatever but it definitely can feel like being trapped in one place all the time.

Plus, communication isn't nearly as easy sometimes as when you're in the same room with people.

I'm almost positive I already gave these reasons in that other thread, but:

1. as good as internet conference calls can be, there's always some lag or mic issues so you're bound to speak over other people at least once per call, which ruins the flow of conversation. you can't read body/facial expressions, you don't know if a pause in speech is due to the lag/mic issues or simply because said person likes to pause while speaking.

2. it's also easier to get someone's attention at the right time. it's much more obvious when someone is heads-down and deeply focused on a task or when they're more mentally available to chat about work. versus using chat software I have teammates (and my boss) who _always_ have their status set to away and are inconsistently (un)available so it's difficult to know when a good time is to speak to them. Yeah, you can ping them and wait for them to respond when they're ready, but it's easy for someone to see a message come in, "read" it and think "I'll come back to this later", and then forget.

etc etc.
Yeah I mean my Fiancée works from home, and I do too when I'm programming, we have seperate offices but it definitely blurs the line between work and home. Especially when you are a room away from the computer it's hard to say no. Like nah it's 7pm we were going to have wine and watch a movie I can't check on that...

Old 07-15-2021, 06:53 PM   #3171
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Yet you keep responding to our posts
I simply said I don't spend much time thinking about you and I don't. This may be hard to comprehend, but responding to you usually doesn't take a lot of thought. And despite your claim to think about us, your posts don't really reflect that. Bye
Old 07-15-2021, 07:40 PM   #3172
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
Yeah being smart doesn't always equate to common sense...

There are different types of being smart. There is book smart, degree smart and common sense smart. The latter is generally the most valuable
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (07-15-2021), p1l0t (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 07:54 PM   #3173
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Oh look, our 'critical thinker' is back! Let's hail the genius because he's smarter than all of us.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 07-15-2021, 08:03 PM   #3174
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Oh look, our 'critical thinker' is back! Let's hail the genius because he's smarter than all of us.
Your answer to my post just substantiates my perspective.

You have a lot of initials after your name. Should I be impressed? Asking for a friend

Last edited by TommyW; 07-15-2021 at 08:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (07-15-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 08:32 AM   #3175
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
substantiates my perspective.
Interesting choice of words. Immediately made me think: reinforces my bias.

Random passing thought.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:41 AM   #3176
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
Your answer to my post just substantiates my perspective.

You have a lot of initials after your name. Should I be impressed? Asking for a friend
You wouldn't know what they mean so no point explaining

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 07-16-2021, 08:54 AM   #3177
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,974 Times in 2,194 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Ended more lives than any other micro-organism in a century.
Solipsists. Didn't happen to them. Go figure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-16-2021), wbradley (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 10:08 AM   #3178
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

I find the near panic over potential rare side effects over the vaccine curious, If you read the data sheet that come with every prescription medication often contains a long list of contraindications to watch out for. An awful lot of them include "may cause illness or death" on the list. I wonder if some people look at that? I also wonder if it has any effect on their behavior?

That doesn't even scratch the surface of what food, drink (even water) or breathing can cause. Everything we consume (even, and almost certainly, my beloved crawfish etouffee ) is trying at some level to kill me. Life really isn't for the faint of heart.

One thing, though, if you make decisions to take risks that might kill you, you're not likely to harm anyone else.

Tags
eagle5 got sandy vag, tread harder daddy, tylerlieberman is a cuck