follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
ACE Headers
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-08-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
86league

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Transmission removal

Preparing for a TOB/clutch job.

Have read how to remove the trans - searching and reading threads here, etc. To save time vs. the book method of removing trim and going in from the top of the shifter to detach the shift linkage, I've seen some recommend just detaching the shifter from below, but that sounds like it involves cutting the rubber dust boot over this connection.

Looking at images online before I start removing stuff... Any reason you couldn't remove the linkage from the forward point on the linkage vs. the aft one? Talking about the one just under the blue "miles" in this picture :

Looks like the same sort of connection, but wouldn't involve cutting the boot or going in from the top (trim removal/etc). Enough room to disconnect then re-connect? I'll probably give it a try once I have the exhaust/driveshaft off -- just wondered if anyone had done this.

Thanks.
86league is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 1,671 Times in 1,054 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
I think getting your hands in there is going to be harder... and am not sure there's room to clear the pin even if you manage.

You don't need to cut the boot, and don't need to work from the top. I did it all in freezing temps from under the car when I installed my Kartboy. I did end up heating up the boot with a heat gun just in case...
Old 12-08-2018, 06:16 PM   #3
n0thing

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
you can rotate and slide out the two pins that connect the shifter carrier to transmission, lower the transmission, and remove the cotter pin (below "blue miles") at the shifter rod.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117270
n0thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
86league

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
You don't need to cut the boot, and don't need to work from the top. I did it all in freezing temps from under the car when I installed my Kartboy. I did end up heating up the boot with a heat gun just in case...
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0thing View Post
you can rotate and slide out the two pins that connect the shifter carrier to transmission, lower the transmission, and remove the cotter pin (below "blue miles") at the shifter rod.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117270
Good info - Thanks to you both.
86league is offline   Reply With Quote