follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 03-13-2020, 06:56 AM   #5349
AndreC

Drives: Fast track beast
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved View Post
@AndreC

Is this where you got the idea of opening up the front end?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=29

I notice Verus put a horizontal panel across the top of the intercooler towards the sandwiched oil cooler/rad.

Once they opened up the top side they saw incredible improvements.. but that oil cooler is massive.
That article helped confirm what I was dealing with, but since I was overheating on track with my second engine now, had gone through 3 rads trying to solve the issue, I had come to the realization that the only commonality was the cooling stack was creating a ton of heat soak and killing airflow.

Installing a drift bar and removing the plastic grille created a 6-8" of additional airflow over the intercooler from having none.

Track testing showed a massive difference in cooling and heat soak, I could be on it now for 10 laps driving it hard (previously could only get 2-3 laps before spiking temps).

I still had overheating issues toward the end of my races, likely due to previous overheating incidents causing a hg leak (first engine confirmed as that issue), but temp creep was less intense and was still able to finish all of my 30 min races.

New rebuilt engine is going in shortly and will go through the rebuild process on the other one, but pretty sure heat issues are resolved. Even more when I relocate oil coolers to the sides, from behind the intercooler.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
AndreC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #5350
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,127 Times in 521 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
I also thought about insulating the intake pipe connecting to throttle body. But I thought it would not help much with the heater hose connected to throttle body anyway. Do you see improvement in power?
No power, but my goal was to keep intake temps at bay, which seems to be happening, but will confirm at the track next week.

Initial testing; ambient temps right at 80f, and intake temps never went above 91f driving, and stayed at about 89 degrees on throttle. This is about on par if not better than what I was seeing for N/A temps so that is good.

here is a list of parts I have bought for this little project:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072L26SYT
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3234RV
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FDQ8XSH

Also I should note that my front area is boxed in (flat bottom not seen as it is attached to the bumper). There is a space between the front bumper and the top aluminum part that creates a low pressure zone (in theory) for the intake air.

Name:  IMG_2343.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  374.3 KB

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ML For This Useful Post:
AndreC (03-13-2020), CSG Mike (03-13-2020), Icecreamtruk (03-13-2020), mrg666 (03-13-2020), new2subaru (03-13-2020), peaches (03-13-2020), Stonehorsw (12-08-2020), wheelhaus (03-15-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 01:53 PM   #5351
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
No power, but my goal was to keep intake temps at bay, which seems to be happening, but will confirm at the track next week.

Initial testing; ambient temps right at 80f, and intake temps never went above 91f driving, and stayed at about 89 degrees on throttle. This is about on par if not better than what I was seeing for N/A temps so that is good.

here is a list of parts I have bought for this little project:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072L26SYT
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3234RV
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FDQ8XSH

Also I should note that my front area is boxed in (flat bottom not seen as it is attached to the bumper). There is a space between the front bumper and the top aluminum part that creates a low pressure zone (in theory) for the intake air.

Attachment 185498
Beautiful.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:22 PM   #5352
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
Am I seeing that right? Your rear lug studs look really long.
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #5353
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
@ML that is a work of art, thanks for sharing and inspiring more than one im sure
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:45 PM   #5354
peaches

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
@ML that is a work of art, thanks for sharing and inspiring more than one im sure
Indeed, I have no fabrication skills but that's definitively where I'm heading
peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:26 AM   #5355
ML

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Beautiful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches View Post
Indeed, I have no fabrication skills but that's definitively where I'm heading
Wow, thank you guys for the kind words. You make a girl feel good! (disclaimer: I am not a girl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFL it's Waffle View Post
Am I seeing that right? Your rear lug studs look really long.
Hah, they are the longer ARP studs, but they look long because I screw the nuts on about a thread when I take the wheels off so I don't lose them, or accidentally kick them all over the garage floor.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ML For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (03-16-2020), ROFL it's Waffle (03-16-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 12:27 AM   #5356
jacjac3

Drives: WRB BRZ
Looking to add JRSC for my 2013 BRZ. How's the coolant and oil temps on track with ambient temps around 80-90F?
jacjac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 12:54 AM   #5357
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacjac3 View Post
Looking to add JRSC for my 2013 BRZ. How's the coolant and oil temps on track with ambient temps around 80-90F?
Freaking high. I'm jrsc c30, no oil cooler, no hood louvers but I only track once a year.

QUESTION: how many fold more effective is an oil cooler vs Seibon FA style hood scoop? Is the oil cooler twice as effective? 10x more effective? 25% more effective? Or even less effective at keeping engine/engine oil temps down?
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:18 AM   #5358
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
Freaking high. I'm jrsc c30, no oil cooler, no hood louvers but I only track once a year.

QUESTION: how many fold more effective is an oil cooler vs Seibon FA style hood scoop? Is the oil cooler twice as effective? 10x more effective? 25% more effective? Or even less effective at keeping engine/engine oil temps down?
I wouldn't go to track without oil cooler, properly done air guides under bumper cover, and racing thermostat. Even once a year is enough to cause damage in the engine.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:18 AM   #5359
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
I wouldn't go to track without oil cooler, properly done air guides under bumper cover, and racing thermostat. Even once a year is enough to cause damage in the engine.
correct, stock engine track oil temps are ridiculously high compared to other cars so for ANY track duty, let alone a supercharger, its essentially a requirement to use an oil cooler.

i asked csg mike directly on a tracking thread whether oil cooler vs hood scoop/louver in regards to engine oil temp and he replied
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Infinitely. A hook scoop does nothing by itself to cool the oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacjac3 View Post
so moral of the story jacjac is spend the 500 bucks on an oil cooler. there are two reasons they are effective, 1. being the heat sink the air passes against cooling the oil, 2. being the overall greater capacity of oil the engine holds due to oil in the new lines and inside the heat sink. (more liquid takes longer to heat/boiling water kinda thing) i only get away without an oil cooler because i only use my car for daily driving
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:34 AM   #5360
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
correct, stock engine track oil temps are ridiculously high compared to other cars so for ANY track duty, let alone a supercharger, its essentially a requirement to use an oil cooler.

i asked csg mike directly on a tracking thread whether oil cooler vs hood scoop/louver in regards to engine oil temp and he replied

so moral of the story jacjac is spend the 500 bucks on an oil cooler. there are two reasons they are effective, 1. being the heat sink the air passes against cooling the oil, 2. being the overall greater capacity of oil the engine holds due to oil in the new lines and inside the heat sink. (more liquid takes longer to heat/boiling water kinda thing) i only get away without an oil cooler because i only use my car for daily driving
You can add the STI OEM cooler just for daily driving. It is very easy and cheap.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:59 AM   #5361
ML

Garage
Also I would highly recommend "unstacking" the coolers as has been mentioned before. Brought down my oil temp by at least 10 degrees.

Name:  IMG_2425.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  132.0 KB
Name:  IMG_2429.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  181.4 KB
Attached Images

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to ML For This Useful Post:
HaXx (03-20-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 01:49 PM   #5362
jacjac3

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I already have a JR oil cooler installed. I'm worried about the coolant temps. I've heard they can rise to 240F+. How high are your water temps on track?
jacjac3 is offline   Reply With Quote