follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #29
N_Raged

Drives: 2019 BRZ Sport-Tech RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Those bremBROs really drive sales huh.
Hey it worked on me
N_Raged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N_Raged For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (03-11-2020), Tcoat (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 11:23 AM   #30
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Checked the website for the Sherwood Park Toyota and apparently they have a 2020 GT listed in their inventory. The spec sheet mentions the 18" TRD wheels but the brakes are mentioned as the 11" size (which would correspond to the standard size brakes vs the larger Brembos) and no mention of the sachs dampers. I cant tell if they just copy/pasted some standard spec sheet off the Toyota website or not.
They also have no pics yet.

Im leaning towards no sachs/brembos though. Seems like to get those up here in Canada you either need to get the 2019 TRD edition or go for a BRZ Sport Tech RS.
The dealer sites are even worse than the Toyota Canada one.

Some call ALL trims an 86 GT which is confusing as hell.
One site said that the GT had 18" wheels for the MT and 17" for the AT.
Most seem to just use stock pictures for what they have on the lot so according to the posted adds they are all white no matter what colour it says.
The spec sheets can have huge variation from one dealer to another. None show everything though.
The build picture of the GT shows the Brembos and 18" wheels but the couple of actual pictures of in stock ones have just the normal brakes and wheels.
Nobody seems to have the TRD even on their sites. It is like it never existed.
Many do not even have an option to select the 86 in the new vehicle drop down boxes.
The prices can vary by a huge amount from one dealer to another. $37K for a GT? Really? With a Toyota Canada listed MRSP of $34K and no extra options added? Do some areas have such high demand they are marking them up?

They really REALLY just seem to not want anything to do with this car
Old 03-11-2020, 12:01 PM   #31
N_Raged

Drives: 2019 BRZ Sport-Tech RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This one is not too bad. But it's a 2019 priced to clear. $40,035 MSRP seems insane.
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/toyota/8...200J4&sprx=100
N_Raged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:55 PM   #32
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Raged View Post
This one is not too bad. But it's a 2019 priced to clear. $40,035 MSRP seems insane.
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/toyota/8...200J4&sprx=100
I'd consider a TRD model (for the right price). But i want the butt warmers which the TRD editions do not have.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:21 PM   #33
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
I'd consider a TRD model (for the right price). But i want the butt warmers which the TRD editions do not have.

Butt warmers = more weight and just another electronic that could fail. Plus I don't find cloth seats to be bad at all in the winter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 01:37 PM   #34
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Butt warmers = more weight and just another electronic that could fail. Plus I don't find cloth seats to be bad at all in the winter.
True, cloth in winter isnt so bad
But with leather I'd prefer to have them.

Im not actually sure if the TRD seats are more like the cloth seats in the base or the leather/alcantara in the GT trims......they seem like they're the GT seats but with the entire seating surface cloth or alcantara instead of just the inner part being alcantara and the bolsters being leather.

Plus nowadays i like having my optional ("luxury") niceties.

EDIT:
Hey i found a 2020 86 GT manual on this quebec dealership website.
https://www.duvaltoyota.com/en/new-i...a-86-id6596915
No brembos (gonna assume no sachs either) just the 18" wheels.

I also saw a listing on cargurus for a 2020 86 GT automatic, that one has the 17" wheels.

On the Subaru side, i think the 2018 model year sport tech RS (the 86 GT trim equivalent in Canada) came with the regular brakes/shocks.
In 2019 the sport tech RS Manual model gained the sachs + brembos (I think they just came with them standard on the manual equipped car so it doesnt cost extra) but the AT model still uses the regular setup. This separation seems to have remained for 2020.

On the Toyota side, looks like the only way to get the sachs + brembos in Canada is with the 2019 TRD special edition. Or go to the US and get a US spec car with the TRD performance pack added on.

So to sum up, to get the Sachs + brembos in Canada your choices are either a 2019+ Subaru BRZ Sport Tech RS manual, or 2019 Toyota 86 TRD Special Edition.

Last edited by Sasquachulator; 03-11-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (03-11-2020), saltywetman (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 09:37 AM   #35
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The dealer sites are even worse than the Toyota Canada one.

Some call ALL trims an 86 GT which is confusing as hell.
One site said that the GT had 18" wheels for the MT and 17" for the AT.
Most seem to just use stock pictures for what they have on the lot so according to the posted adds they are all white no matter what colour it says.
The spec sheets can have huge variation from one dealer to another. None show everything though.
The build picture of the GT shows the Brembos and 18" wheels but the couple of actual pictures of in stock ones have just the normal brakes and wheels.
Nobody seems to have the TRD even on their sites. It is like it never existed.
Many do not even have an option to select the 86 in the new vehicle drop down boxes.
The prices can vary by a huge amount from one dealer to another. $37K for a GT? Really? With a Toyota Canada listed MRSP of $34K and no extra options added? Do some areas have such high demand they are marking them up?

They really REALLY just seem to not want anything to do with this car
Yeah the TRD was only 2019 so it won't be on the site anymore (although it has been for a good portion of 2020 before the 2020s were even added to toyota.ca). There was one for a good price but it came with lowering springs and the fact it had the outdated infotainment system without google auto was another reason for me to want to wait. I also didn't like the garish bodykit (the spoiler is awesome though)

Toyota pricing is out to lunch If this is indeed true that the GT 6M does not come with the brakes or dampers but still costs more than the price of the TS edition it's so hard to justify paying that much of a premium just for the toyota name
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:01 AM   #36
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltywetman View Post
Yeah the TRD was only 2019 so it won't be on the site anymore (although it has been for a good portion of 2020 before the 2020s were even added to toyota.ca). There was one for a good price but it came with lowering springs and the fact it had the outdated infotainment system without google auto was another reason for me to want to wait. I also didn't like the garish bodykit (the spoiler is awesome though)

Toyota pricing is out to lunch If this is indeed true that the GT 6M does not come with the brakes or dampers but still costs more than the price of the TS edition it's so hard to justify paying that much of a premium just for the toyota name
Well as Koba showed in post #24 the dealer cost for Toyota is far more than the Subaru so of course they are going to cost way more. That was a new piece of data for me but explains a lot in why they don't want to carry them. How are they even supposed to start to compete with Subaru when it cost them almost $3,000 for the same trim level? They are a business after all so slashing the prices to try and sell a handful would not be a smart move.

I understand that Toyota actually buys them from Subaru (that has been documented in the actual Toyota site) but never guessed that it was as much as it must be for that dealer cost to exist.

What truly baffles me is that so many dealers take that already high price gap and then tack another $2,000 to $3,000 upcharge on top of it! My Hakone has a MSRP of $33,850 (I paid a little under that) but they are listed all over the dealer sites for as much as $37,000. No doubt they will give you a "deal" and drop it to $34,000 but is the demand really that high to support another 10% upcharge which puts the car at 20% over a similarly equipped BRZ?

All in all it all comes together to support my thesis that Toyota Canada does not give one shit about selling these cars and that attitude has rubbed off on the dealers.
Dadhawk (03-12-2020), new2subaru (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #37
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
The financing rates for these cars have been through the roof, with zero incentives.
When I got my 860 in 2017, I got it over 1k below msrp and with .99% financing. My monthly payments are over a 100 a month less than what they would have been with the 2018/19/20's. I think Toyota needs to step in and start actually promoting these cars if they really want to get them moving.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:26 AM   #38
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
The financing rates for these cars have been through the roof, with zero incentives.
When I got my 860 in 2017, I got it over 1k below msrp and with .99% financing. My monthly payments are over a 100 a month less than what they would have been with the 2018/19/20's. I think Toyota needs to step in and start actually promoting these cars if they really want to get them moving.

My rate in 2012 (July 2012 delivery) was 4.9%, the price I paid for not wanting to wait
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
RayRay88 (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #39
Tcoat

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
My rate in 2012 (July 2012 delivery) was 4.9%, the price I paid for not wanting to wait
Mine on the 2020 is half way between the two of yours. The finance rates are more determined by the bank they use than the dealership of Toyota.

Ray
I think that is the crux of the matter. They plain and simply don't WANT to sell more. There is no money in it for them so why bother? Even selling 10 times as many would not even start to scratch the surface of their other sales. Selling the few units that do in Canada ties up capital, space and time. They can simply get a better return on their investment selling a shitloads of sedans and SUVs.

Can't say I object to the low sales since I would not want a car where you trip over one every time you turn around (like Mustangs)
wparsons (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 01:16 PM   #40
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Quote:
Mine on the 2020 is half way between the two of yours. The finance rates are more determined by the bank they use than the dealership of Toyota.

Ray
I think that is the crux of the matter. They plain and simply don't WANT to sell more. There is no money in it for them so why bother? Even selling 10 times as many would not even start to scratch the surface of their other sales. Selling the few units that do in Canada ties up capital, space and time. They can simply get a better return on their investment selling a shitloads of sedans and SUVs.

Can't say I object to the low sales since I would not want a car where you trip over one every time you turn around (like Mustangs)
Definitely agree to all the above.

I think the models run its course in terms of product life cycle. Hopefully they're just reserving their resources for the next gen.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:28 PM   #41
Tcoat

Quote:
Definitely agree to all the above.

I think the models run its course in terms of product life cycle. Hopefully they're just reserving their resources for the next gen.
Toronto and (for some reason) the KW area are some of their hot beds for sales but for much of the rest of the country they have never done anything with the car. Even Scion sort of treated it like a red headed step child. It isn't like they have been saving for a next gen it has never been something they push or even acknowledge. The Toyota/Scion Canada websites have also never had much info. Sort of just a "well we have them, maybe, if you are interested, OK if you aren't, we aren't going to push you, OH LOOK AT THIS COROLLA" attitude.

When I was looking for clues on how the GT was equipped I was totally floored by how many dealer sites don't have a picture of the car they have on the lot and just use that stock photo of a base white one. They may have a used 2010 Highlander with 22 pictures, inside and out, from every conceivable angle and a brand new 86 Hakone showing a stock picture of a 2019 base and saying "this in green with some other stuff on the seats".
Dadhawk (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 04:44 PM   #42
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
that's one of the drawbacks of partnering up i guess. Maybe if the GR yaris becomes a big hit toyota will go back to fully developing their sports cars once again. Kinda wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get the overpriced 2020 lol. I half regret not jumping on the trd edition that was in edmonton up until early this year. Main reason I avoided it was because it was pre lowered and lacked the updated infotainment system. But it was priced lower than the 2020 gt's and also came with the trd exhaust, trd intake system. Coulda shoulda woulda :\

Quote:
Toronto and (for some reason) the KW area are some of their hot beds for sales but for much of the rest of the country they have never done anything with the car. Even Scion sort of treated it like a red headed step child. It isn't like they have been saving for a next gen it has never been something they push or even acknowledge. The Toyota/Scion Canada websites have also never had much info. Sort of just a "well we have them, maybe, if you are interested, OK if you aren't, we aren't going to push you, OH LOOK AT THIS COROLLA" attitude.

When I was looking for clues on how the GT was equipped I was totally floored by how many dealer sites don't have a picture of the car they have on the lot and just use that stock photo of a base white one. They may have a used 2010 Highlander with 22 pictures, inside and out, from every conceivable angle and a brand new 86 Hakone showing a stock picture of a 2019 base and saying "this in green with some other stuff on the seats".
In a way I am really wanting to get the 2020 also because wish such low sales in Canada, I wouldn't be surprised if the next gen 86 doesn't even get released up here. They didn't even bring over the handling package for the 2020. It's not like it has to pass any form of additional safety tests as it's the same stuff that was in the 2019 TRD SE. Those pics of the 2020 GT 6M from the quebec dealership really made me sad as it confirmed that it doesn't come with brembos. Are these brakes ones that brembo made specifically for the twins or could I eventually just the same model as an aftermarket part and install it once i'm out of warranty?

Last edited by saltywetman; 03-12-2020 at 05:52 PM.
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote