follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Warning: Shoulder strap guide design weakness can tear seat

The Subaru District Sales rep warned me that the shoulder strap on one of the demo cars tore the seat when someone pulled it off without unbuttoning it first.

He said the guide design will probably be modified (not sure if that means the seat will be reinforced below the button or something else), but that won't happen in time for the first batch of FRSes and BRZs (obviously).

I'm unaware of any cases of it happening to JDM BRZs or 86s already on the road, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

It's simply a minor design weakness that can result in a torn seat if misused; just be mindful when tugging on the shoulder strap while it's in the guide.

(please pardon the cross post; I thought this was worth putting in both the FRS and BRZ forums)

Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
Enemies

Drives: '13 SWP Sport-Tech (Limited)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Didn't realize this was in both forums. I guess I should've typed it here instead. Any word of problems with the leather/alcantara seats?
Enemies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
BReeZ

Drives: Audi A5 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Imo that whole strap should go and be replaced by some sort of hard plastic bracket. It's too cheesy for words.
BReeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
GMU-BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru Impreza Sport
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Easy solution, just unbutton it and leave it that way unless you need it.
GMU-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMU-BRZ For This Useful Post:
smotonaga (04-01-2019)
Old 04-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
(K)
They call me..."Ken"...

Drives: '04 Accord V6 MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Those straps are pure crap.

Enemies, the blue BRZ that's been making the rounds here (the one Deslock is referring to) had BOTH straps ripped off, buttons and all. It was a Limited with Alcantara seats. It's a terrible design and the straps themselves are flimsy pieces. I assume they rip off because people tug at them to move the seats back (instead of by the shoulder of the seat) or they try to unbutton them forcefully.

The best way is to get rid of that strap altogether and mount an arm on the interior B pillar, as mentioned by Breeze.

Des, did the rep mention anything regarding a possible TSB or recall for first-release cars?
(K) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
Those straps are pure crap.

Enemies, the blue BRZ that's been making the rounds here (the one Deslock is referring to) had BOTH straps ripped off, buttons and all. It was a Limited with Alcantara seats. It's a terrible design and the straps themselves are flimsy pieces. I assume they rip off because people tug at them to move the seats back (instead of by the shoulder of the seat) or they try to unbutton them forcefully.

The best way is to get rid of that strap altogether and mount an arm on the interior B pillar, as mentioned by Breeze.

Des, did the rep mention anything regarding a possible TSB or recall for first-release cars?
Wouldn't these be covered under warranty? I know Ford replaced the driver's seat in my wife's Mustang under warranty because something like this broke on it. I'm thinking if they do redesign it, the warranty work would cover replacing one if it broke, and if its a completely different design they would have to replace both for the match.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
(K)
They call me..."Ken"...

Drives: '04 Accord V6 MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would think they try to sneak out of it on the basis of "wear and tear". Though, seeing as how it has to do with a safety feature, it would fall under a warranty/TSB/recall fix. It might come down to legal verbiage and/or the frequency of owner complaints.
(K) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Garage
This is interesting...

How hard do you have to pull it to tear it? I would imagine it would be a fair amount of effort... Maybe it was torn in dealer cars because rude people were pulling unnecessarily hard on it? Demo cars seem to see a lot of abuse in a short amount of time...
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Like (K) said, the demo BRZ Limited that we saw had both straps ripped off. Not very comforting! I think it does come from people trying to move the seats forward without unstrapping the seatbelt. As I will likely never use my back seat for anything, hopefully they'll last on my car!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
I would think they try to sneak out of it on the basis of "wear and tear". Though, seeing as how it has to do with a safety feature, it would fall under a warranty/TSB/recall fix. It might come down to legal verbiage and/or the frequency of owner complaints.
Yea, it can always be up to interpretation, but I don't really think they can argue that this is wear and not faulty design if they start ripping off.

I'd have to work this one all the way up the chain if it came to that. Honestly though, since I ride single about 90% of the time and will have someone in the back only about 3% I don't think this will be an issue for me.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The rep (probably the same one) told me that people commonly mistake it for a handle to pull the seat forward and that's why it tears. It will not just tear under normal operation so I don't think it's something anyone over the age of 7 will have a problem with.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
MF_DEUCE
Adventure Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
When i saw 2 BRZs here in socal both cars never had their seatbelts going through this strap and they were still there, but i do remember the FRS had its passenger side ripped off. I wouldnt doubt it to be a problem for owners, so hopefully Toyobaru gets it fixed or removed under warranty.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Garage
I would expect the problem to be much more prominent in a demo car since they see a lot of people getting in and out compared to someones personal vehicle. If it becomes a big enough problem I'm sure there will be pressure put on Subaru/Toyota to get a fix.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
Indestruct

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ, MT
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_DEUCE View Post
When i saw 2 BRZs here in socal both cars never had their seatbelts going through this strap and they were still there, but i do remember the FRS had its passenger side ripped off. I wouldnt doubt it to be a problem for owners, so hopefully Toyobaru gets it fixed or removed under warranty.

I noticed this too when I sat in the BRZ in socal. The seatbelt was uncomfortably high, so I put the belt back into the strap. What a terrible design! I will worry about this when my strap keeps popping off or tears on my brz. But for now I'll just let it be.
Indestruct is offline   Reply With Quote