follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 03-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #407
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T Review

Quote:
FAST FACTS
  • Engine: 2.0L turbocharged 4-cylinder
  • Power: 275 hp, 295 lb-ft of torque
  • Transmission: 6-speed manual or 8-speed automatic
  • Fuel Economy: Automatics get 22 MPG City, 31 MPG Highway, Manual gets 21 MPG City, 30 MPG Highway
  • US Price: Starts at $26,695

But today, catchphrases like “there’s no replacement for displacement” are being muted by ideas like “work smarter, not harder,” especially in the muscle car segment.

As fuel mileage continues to be a top concern among buyers, automakers have been advancing their turbocharged powertrains and cutting weight from their vehicles, ensuring that vehicles are as efficient as possible. And as the EcoBoost four-cylinder-powered Mustang proved, efficient cars don’t always have to sacrifice performance.

Starting with the 2015 model year Mustang, Ford offered an upgraded engine that slotted between the usual V6 and V8 motors and was available with a performance package. A 2.3-liter four-cylinder turbocharged engine made marginally more horsepower than the V6, but much more torque. It also promised improved fuel economy over the V6. Muscle car traditionalists decried the decision to include a four-cylinder, but strong sales of the EcoBoost have told a different story.

The Chevrolet Choice

The 2016 Chevrolet Camaro is following the Ford Mustang by offering a turbo-four in its pony car, but instead uses a 2.0-liter turbocharged motor as the base engine, rather than the mid-level offering. Another departure from the Mustang is that the four-cylinder turbo model won’t be available with a full performance package. Drivers can, however, get upgraded brakes and cooling features.

Fortunately, the sixth-generation Camaro has a number of improvements that make it a solid performer out of the box, with many thanks to the new Alpha platform. First used as the underpinning to the sharp Cadillac ATS sedan, the new Camaro is significantly lighter than the past generation model and is, on average, about 202 pounds lighter than the last generation V6 and V8 models. The new turbo-four model is a whopping 390 lbs lighter than the old V6 model, making it noticeably more nimble and agile.

A quick back-to-back track comparison of the 2015 Camaro V6, 2016 Mustang V6 and 2016 Camaro 2.0T demonstrated the new generation’s advancements in terms of handling, especially in its ability to change directions quickly and handle elevation changes. When driven back-to-back with the new Mustang V6, the Camaro felt stiffer and more responsive, while the Mustang felt large and floaty on the track. Lighter and more rigid, the new Camaro feels confident and more like a real sports coupe when pushed to its limit.

If You Stay with the Turbo

The Camaro 2.0T makes 275 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque, which is less power than the last-generation base V6 engine and the new Mustang V6. Despite the mundane figures, this model can rifle off to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds (5.4 in the manual), showcasing just how much of an impact the lighter curb weight has on performance. For reference, the manual EcoBoost Mustang with the optional performance pack managed this sprint in about 5.5 to 5.6 seconds, while automatic Mustang EcoBoosts are a hair under 6 seconds.

On the track, the car provided torque right when you wanted it, as the car’s flat torque curve starts delivering peak torque at 3,000 rpm, which is right in the middle of the rev range. The motor easily pushed the car through the short circuit at Spring Mountain Motor Sports Park. The combination of light weight, responsive handling and rear-wheel drive was more than capable of helping the car rotate through tight turns on the track. Also, it’s important to mention that the exhaust note of the 2.0T Camaro is real (not piped in) and sounds more refined than what the noises EcoBoost Mustang pipes out.

Furthermore, the punch off the line with the 2.0T will erase any bitter memories of the third-generation Camaro with its sad 2.5-liter four-cylinder that hit 60 mph in about 20 seconds. Chevrolet also made us aware that this new 2.0T matches the fourth-generation Camaro Z28 (with its 5.7-liter V8) in horsepower and performance figures.

While power is sent to the rear wheels, buyers can opt for a solid six-speed manual or an eight-speed automatic. The automatic option is a great choice for those looking for a daily cruiser with highway fuel consumption estimates in the 31 mph range, while city driving will net about 22 mpg. Testing of the manual transmission was limited to the track, where it performed admirably and featured great pedal placement for heel-toe downshifts. Buyers of the manual model can expect to see 21 mpg city and 30 mpg highway.

Fully Featured

Where the Camaro clearly one-ups its rival pony car is with available features. While premium features like navigation have to be matched to a higher-trim engine in the Mustang, the Camaro offers all the goodies across the range. As such, you could have a four-cylinder Camaro with a head-up display, heated and vented seats, heated steering wheel, blind-spot assist, a sunroof, dual-zone automatic climate control, leather upholstery and basically any other feature found throughout the range. If a buyer wants a fully loaded Camaro but with the fuel-efficient and lightweight turbocharged engine, they’re free to do exactly that.

While we’ve covered the interior before, it’s important to point out how hit and miss it is. Certain aspects of the interior like the climate control knobs and the high quality chrome trim on the door handles and around the shifter are excellent. On the other hand, the dashboard and upper door panel trim is notably low-rent feeling. The touchscreen found in the middle is also awkwardly slanted, which was ineffective in reducing glare. Finally, as with the last Camaro, visibility is awful, the proportions of the car take some getting used to, and there’s also a very small trunk opening.

Pricing

The Camaro starts at $26,695 including destination and includes the 2.0T as standard equipment. It’s slightly pricier than the base Mustang V6, which rings in at $25,045, which is more also powerful, but is limited in its available features. A fully loaded Camaro 2.0T would be an automatic 2LT model with the RS Package, additional ground-effects trim, upgraded brakes and navigation, and would cost you more than $40,000. It’s a bit much, but it’s all there if buyers are interested.

Verdict: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T Review

Consumer choice is always a good thing, and this new four-cylinder option will appeal to muscle car fans looking for a fuel-friendly option that’s still responsive and fun to drive, even at the basic end of the model lineup. The fact you can load it up with all the features you want is a huge bonus.

LOVE IT
Improved fuel efficiency
Light and nimble
Tons of available features

LEAVE IT
Visibility
No performance packages
Cargo room
http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...ro-2-0t-review
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:01 PM   #408
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Camaro ZL1 at 3600lb: Could have 30 hp more.

BRZ/ Miata at 2700lb/2300lb: Could have 50hp more.

Any effing German car with 4000lb- a million lb: 350hp is enough.
Badge snobs

Oh that M2 of yours at 3600lb costs 50K, it only comes with 365hp.

I just throw it out there because it won't be long we're going to have that.
vh_supra26 (03-16-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 10:54 AM   #409
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Chevrolet Blows The Top On 2017 Camaro ZL1 Convertible In NY

Quote:
Chevrolet surprised us today with the unveiling of the open-top version of their new 2017 Camaro ZL1 at the New York Auto Show.

Offered with "comparable performance to the coupe model", as the manufacturer states, it uses the 6.2-liter V8 LT4 Small Block engine, borrowed from the Corvette Z06, rated at 640 HP (649 PS) and 640 pound-feet (868 Nm) of torque.

Power is sent to the asphalt through a standard 6-speed manual or the new 10-speed automatic, with paddle shifters, making the Camaro ZL1 Convertible the second GM car to use this gearbox, which was exclusively developed for the ZL1.

The drop-top muscle car uses the modular and rigid body architecture of the coupe, which is said to have been designed to "support a high-performance convertible". This means that the two versions are separated by "only a few minor structural differences".

Chevy is keeping info on the newest member of the Camaro family to the minimum, but we will remind you that just like the coupe, it benefits from Performance Traction Management, updated Magnetic Ride suspension, electronic limited-slip differential, Custom Launch Control and Driver Mode Selector. It rides on 20-inch forged aluminum wheels, wrapped in Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar rubber, that hide the Brembo brakes.

The Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Convertible is nothing more than a tease at this point as it will go on sale in early 2017.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/03/che...amaro-zl1.html

vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-28-2016), MisterSheep (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #410
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
How much are they going to say the new 2017 ZL1 is going to weigh? I think the SS is great at weighing 3600 pounds and is in the right direction.. but is the ZL1 going to weigh more just like the previous gen? Still awaiting the Z28 track monster to be introduced.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #411
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
They said it's 200 lb lighter than the previous ZL1, which I believe was closer to 4000 lb than 3900 lb.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:39 PM   #412
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
LOL muscle car and four cylinder in same paragraph. Youre an fool if you buy a camaro with anything less than a v8. I'll just keep my little capable enough sportscar for now.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #413
totopo

Drives: 370z
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsFRS View Post
LOL muscle car and four cylinder in same paragraph. Youre an fool if you buy a camaro with anything less than a v8. I'll just keep my little capable enough sportscar for now.
I don't really understand this sentiment I see a lot here. Not everyone is made of money. What if you can't afford the v8? what if your budget is $27k? what if they don't have an extra $10k lying around (>1/3 price increase)? what car do you recommend for these people?

for $27k, the i4 camaro or mustang might be the fastest car for your money. For 30k the v6 camaro and mustang are probably the fastest car for your money. for $37k the v8s are the fastest car for your money.

The whole line represents a great value for those who are looking for a road course capable car.
totopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to totopo For This Useful Post:
ap5512 (03-30-2016), Dadhawk (03-30-2016), tennisfreak (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 07:05 AM   #414
RichardsFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by totopo View Post
I don't really understand this sentiment I see a lot here. Not everyone is made of money. What if you can't afford the v8? what if your budget is $27k? what if they don't have an extra $10k lying around (>1/3 price increase)? what car do you recommend for these people?

for $27k, the i4 camaro or mustang might be the fastest car for your money. For 30k the v6 camaro and mustang are probably the fastest car for your money. for $37k the v8s are the fastest car for your money.

The whole line represents a great value for those who are looking for a road course capable car.
Having had a mustang GT , you don't want anything less than a v8. Those cars are heavy as shit and I'm not buying into the whole it's so fast with a four cylinder thing.
Tcoat (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #415
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
LOL if you think the Camaro is still a muscle car.

Do some research on it and you will find that the Camaro is a sports car now that can double as a muscle car.

The weight of the 2.0 Auto is only ~3339 lbs and has a better power/weight ratio than a FRS.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #416
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
LOL if you think the Camaro is still a muscle car.

Do some research on it and you will find that the Camaro is a sports car now that can double as a muscle car.

The weight of the 2.0 Auto is only ~3339 lbs and has a better power/weight ratio than a FRS.
Still a muscle car but now it can double as a sports car is the way I see it. The first gens weighed in at just over 3,000 pounds and were part of what started the whole term "muscle cars" so weight is not a defining feature of what makes them fit the category just one aspect.
Dadhawk (03-30-2016), DarkSunrise (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #417
totopo

Drives: 370z
Quote:
Having had a mustang GT , you don't want anything less than a v8. Those cars are heavy as shit and I'm not buying into the whole it's so fast with a four cylinder thing.
I would think people on this forum if anywhere could understand how some people could afford a $27k car and can't afford a $37k car.

Out of the options available for a $27k sports car, the i4 camaros and mustangs are a great value. What is the competition at that level?

They are faster in a straight line and on road courses than competitors (brz/86, mx-5, gti, fist, wrx) except maybe the genesis 3.8.

the trope of the shitty non v8 mustang/camaro has been dead for a while. stop living in the late 90's and open your eyes to the post-bankruptcy domestics that are making decent cars.
totopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #418
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Glad to see this thread is still going on. I've been away from these forums for a bit. This car along with the Mustang are moving into a new generation of sports coupe to compete with the Europeans. The only real muscle car left is the Challenger. The focus is moving on to track times, handling, and weight reduction.

I'm trying to determine what my next car will be. I do love the Camaro, but there are some things that bug me with it. Visibility is beyond horrendous, it's a bit rough of a ride, and the price.

The Mustang gives a lot more practicality for a daily street driven car. No doubt the Camaro is a track monster though. It beats the Mustang consistently on the track and it takes a modded Mustang to keep up with the new Camaro.

That being said, I like both cars for what they are. Seems like the Camaro is going for all out performance though. One of the many reasons why the sales numbers aren't there for Chevy.

It's also nice to see Chevy bringing out so many new variants so quick. New 1LE, ZL1 announced. All we've seen from Ford is a GT350 and GT350R and that was a while ago. I'm almost scared to see what the Z/28 will contain.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2016 Camaro SS For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-30-2016), gymratter (02-28-2017), vh_supra26 (11-22-2016), Zaku (05-17-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 06:37 AM   #419
RichardsFRS

Finally saw a 16 Camaro

Very nicely done. Looks so much better so much sleeker. Looks smaller more aggressive. Less gawdy less lunky. The car looks light and tight. I'd like to drive one

Okay thats all
Dadhawk (04-28-2016), funwheeldrive (04-29-2016), Guff (05-01-2016), MightyMeeple (04-28-2016), p1l0t (04-29-2016), Rampage (05-01-2016), YukiHachiRoku (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 07:23 AM   #420
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,943 Times in 11,378 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Very nicely done. Looks so much better so much sleeker. Looks smaller more aggressive. Less gawdy less lunky. The car looks light and tight. I'd like to drive one

Okay thats all
Pretty much my impression as well.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro ss