follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
aagun

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
direct injector Failure , sand in the engine and on the engine

good day for all ^^

@ Macrh 2013 i had DI failure in my car with 22.000 km , i feel of vibration and losing power with in range 2500 - 5000 RPM @@ , after 5000 the car open power and go fast , there are no CELs .

video of the operator

[ame]http://youtu.be/eqrlwMgfqtY[/ame]

as a new car i ride my car to local dealership , they test the car **and call me back , they told me that is normal and my car is good condition m that this make me crazy , i have knowledge with engines and car electoral , also i know tuning with AEM FI/C so that things is not normal.

after months i ride my 86 to the ctiy for major dealership . my car had 27.000 km . with change one of the direct injector , the left back side, i get the car with good condition.

At last March 2014 , that DI happened again with 75000km ><" my luck always like that XD.

i ride my car to the major dealership, but at this time they refuse fix it by warranty, because i did not service my car @ dealership work shop, BTW , i turned back to fix my car by my self.

with in one year from first DI Failure to second DI Failure i read a lot of FT86 frz brz Failure so i had good idea for what is happened next.

What i did next ??

first i read the repair manual , the first step for pro mechanics , i shocked while reading the manual , the dealership heal my 86 by wrong ways , they just replace one injector and manual says replace all injector as a set with fuel delivery pipes !!

so AFM dealership cares about the money then our souls , for that step they make me target for car burned , our fuel system works with high pressure (more then 1500 PSI -__- i think see it 2800 PSI with torque APP ).

start the engine without fuel pump fuse ^^: that take off pressure from fuel pipes . fuel delivery pipes and fuel rails .

the engine cools down and battery has been disconnected . removed intake system then injector control device with connects , remove fuel pipes , and the end of the way is removing intake manifold.

after removing the intake manifold i see alot of sand on the engine , i live behind the desert with hot weather and dust winds .

how the dust stay on the engine ??? ask Subaru to answer the question¬¬

i start clean the top of engine but is too hard clear it ""

i remove the high pressure fuel rails , also there are sand under the injectors seal. so there are sands goes in the engine . dissemble it mark it and send the injector to the cleaning workshop .

[ame]http://youtu.be/cMDTj5_Z_Do[/ame]

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1600x1200.

this is what AFM did , wrong install the injector , the photo below is shown the Failure injector , after we test it the resister is damaged and the injector plus 50% only of fuel with in else injectors plus 100% . that mean 3 of injector had 30% duty and one have 15% duty . so bad ,kick off the bearing.

also the intake manifold had alot of sand on it , idk if there are bad things in our cars or the engine air cleaner is bad quality , o think i have to change the engine air cleaner every 15.000 km but the manual recommended change it every 30.000 km.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1599x1066.

sorry for heavy photos ^^

nice day to all

Last edited by aagun; 05-25-2014 at 08:10 PM.
aagun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aagun For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (05-26-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
Muaddib
Mentat

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Sand can be finer than what our factory filter can handle. I would recommend it on changing it more often. Or find a replacement that can handle sandy condition.
Muaddib is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muaddib For This Useful Post:
aagun (05-25-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
aagun

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib View Post
Sand can be finer than what our factory filter can handle. I would recommend it on changing it more often. Or find a replacement that can handle sandy condition.

that what i will do , change it every 15.000 km
aagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:46 AM   #4
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You are the first person I know who bench tested these injectors. Did the dealer not replace the injector and just put on a new seal?

I cannot believe the sand in that car. Definitely want a better filter.
Definately replace all of the direct injectors and you may want to consider after market tuning, like Ecutek or Openflash so you can monitor and check fuel delivery and knock to see how that engine is running. Your car probably has an early flash with the messed up transient ignition table issue.