follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 11-06-2015, 02:05 AM   #183
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
both GM and Ford has been creating great sports cars lately (especially after 2010) and now with the new Viper ACR, Dodge dropped the mic German and Japanese cars left behind in the game, I think the main advantage of the domestic cars is the handling department ..

new Camaro SS only costs $37k but the performance brings to the table is better than many of those to $70-80k import cars
The '16 Camaro SS laid down some impressive braking numbers with stock 4-pot Brembos and 6-pots already listed in the accessory catalog.

Despite the unbalanced design cues inside and out, it's the Alpha bones of the SS V-8 combined with tech like MagneRide, direct injection, variable valve timing, cooling everywhere, rev match and more plus the commitment by GM to take the fight to Mustang and beyond that's most impressive.

Worthy of a test drive and who knows, maybe in a year when they'll have three levels of incentives it'll make the short list. I already asked my insurance agent and the 3LT SS V-8 isn't much more than an FR-S and less than half that of a C7 with nearly the same performance according to a couple of reviews.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
glamcem (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 09:25 AM   #184
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
5.27 seconds faster than the previous ACR's time

The last gen ACR was stupid fast. This thing? Boy...

The tires are road legal, so you can talk about how it'll only last you 6 months on the street, but the DOT approves!
Old 11-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #185
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Is this real life? My god that thing is fast. Pobst is equally as ridiculous, if I had half his driving skill....

Such a shame to see the Viper go away. I get why it was necessary... I really do but it's another one of my childhood automotive favorites that'll disappear. Le sigh

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SVTSHC For This Useful Post:
glamcem (11-06-2015), raven1231 (11-07-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #186
GSpeed

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Thanked 1,181 Times in 362 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
5.27 seconds faster than the previous ACR's time

The last gen ACR was stupid fast. This thing? Boy...

The tires are road legal, so you can talk about how it'll only last you 6 months on the street, but the DOT approves!
That's interesting... For a point of reference, they ran a 1:16.98 on our track (Motorsport Ranch 1.7 CCW). One of our customers has an ACR-X (the non-street legal version), and he ran a 1:17 and change a few weeks ago without breaking a sweat. So 5th gen ACR is approximately as fast as a 4th gen ACR-X.

I've heard rumors they might be making an ACR-X based off the 5th gen. If so, it's going to be terrifyingly fast.
GSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #187
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
Is this real life? My god that thing is fast. Pobst is equally as ridiculous, if I had half his driving skill....

Such a shame to see the Viper go away. I get why it was necessary... I really do but it's another one of my childhood automotive favorites that'll disappear. Le sigh
Yeah Pobst is incredible. The man can lay down some really fast laps while talking to the camera and generally making it look like a stroll in the park.

As impressive as the Viper is as a track day weapon, it's also a marketing exercise in how to build an unsuccessful car. I love what it stands for, but sadly there just aren't many buyers for a car like this.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
sato (11-07-2015), SVTSHC (11-07-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #188
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post

Yet none of them mentioned the recognized issue with LS4 engines grenading unless the owner is lucky enough to enter limp-home mode after 2-3 hot laps. Chevy's excuse is that the typical Z06 demographic won't be tracking the car anyway. They have a point.
I think you mean the LT4 engine, yes both earlier production LT1 and LT4 had issues because of the stupid oil filter (filter dissolves and metal shavings cause to engines go kaboom in few cases) but those issues haven been addressed, the overheating issue on the LT4 (new Z06) still is an issue though..
Interestingly it didn't cause any issue in the CTS-V (same LT4 engine) so I've heard it's because of the better cooling capabilities of the CTS-V over the Z06.. maybe they will make some modifications to the front fascia to fix that who knows..but it's really a shame that the C7 Z06 had to face those heatsoak and overheating issues, it's currently the best handling and stopping car at that price range (also better than many hypercars) , who knows maybe they will fix them and make it a direct competitor to this Viper ACR like they did in the past
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #189
glamcem

Quote:
The '16 Camaro SS laid down some impressive braking numbers with stock 4-pot Brembos and 6-pots already listed in the accessory catalog.

Despite the unbalanced design cues inside and out, it's the Alpha bones of the SS V-8 combined with tech like MagneRide, direct injection, variable valve timing, cooling everywhere, rev match and more plus the commitment by GM to take the fight to Mustang and beyond that's most impressive.

Worthy of a test drive and who knows, maybe in a year when they'll have three levels of incentives it'll make the short list. I already asked my insurance agent and the 3LT SS V-8 isn't much more than an FR-S and less than half that of a C7 with nearly the same performance according to a couple of reviews.

yes, also they have been testing a performance variant (possibly the new ZL1 with the new LT4 engine that puts 640 hp) at the Nurburgring so I am pretty sure same upgrades can be done for the Camaro SS (suspension, aero, brakes, bushings ..ets) ..
current base Camaro SS brings better performance figures than the GT350 they've recently tested !!! possibly because of the great DI LT1 engine makes more torque than the 7 liter LS7 in the lower RPMS I cannot even imagine with basic bolt ons and tune LT1 engine, it would be as fast as the current Z28 (if not faster)..

http://beta.motortrend.com/news/2016...t-test-review/

also let's not forget when they used the ATS-V on the 2015 Motortrend best driver's car , they've noticed the 8 speed (ZF Transmission that's being used in many other sport car like Jaguar F type) yields better 0-60 times and better overall lap time (about .5 sec at laguna seca) so who knows maybe the new Camaro SS 1LE offers that transmission , it would be the best of both worlds
Old 11-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #190
torqdork

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
...also let's not forget when they used the ATS-V on the 2015 Motortrend best driver's car , they've noticed the 8 speed (ZF Transmission that's being used in many other sport car like Jaguar F type) yields better 0-60 times and better overall lap time (about .5 sec at laguna seca) so who knows maybe the new Camaro SS 1LE offers that transmission , it would be the best of both worlds
One review said the A/T won't be available with the mechanical limited slip diff or supplemental cooling that's standard on the M/T. Too bad, it would otherwise be a contender.

Hopefully at some point the active diff will become an option for all SS models.

Now that the LT4 will be available as a crate motor, someone is probably already planning a swap.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/pu...8-in-your-car/
The Following User Says Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
glamcem (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 02:20 PM   #191
torqdork

Just got off the phone with the GM of the biggest metro Dodge dealership in the state.

The order bank for 2016 ACRs opened yesterday and will close next Wednesday, 11/11. Surprisingly, they won't be allocated based on dealership Viper sales volume, it will be first come first served with full payment up front. Cars will be built to customer spec. Apparently they'll be offering an exclusive exterior color palette and interior treatment combinations.

Of course the dealer principal has his order in!
Old 11-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #192
glamcem

Quote:
One review said the A/T won't be available with the mechanical limited slip diff or supplemental cooling that's standard on the M/T. Too bad, it would otherwise be a contender.

Hopefully at some point the active diff will become an option for all SS models.

Now that the LT4 will be available as a crate motor, someone is probably already planning a swap.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/pu...8-in-your-car/
agreed, they might include them in the new 1LE or other track oriented trim..it would be a shame not to utilize that sophisticated transmission that can shifts up quicker than PDK
The Following User Says Thank You to glamcem For This Useful Post:
torqdork (11-06-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 05:17 AM   #193
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,318 Times in 4,120 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
I appreciate the technical marvel that is the 2016 Viper ACR but for a lot of people who own this sort of car it isn't just about the being the fastest. Status is probably more more important. Turning up in a Mclaren has more kudos than "just" a Viper.
At one track day I went to the guy in the Ferrari "won" even though he wasn't the fastest.
Yeah, it might be shallow but that's the way of the world.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:52 AM   #194
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
It must be some kind of fire breathing monster if the A/C can't keep up... ��
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #195
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Hiw can you win a travk day?
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #196
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,182 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Hiw can you win a travk day?
Talk louder and don't let anyone else get a word in at the later benchracing.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (11-07-2015)