follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-24-2014, 02:10 AM   #29
DIF

Drives: FR-S in Firestorm, Katzkin, alpine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
Well yes, whatever the case may have been, it's a can of worms topic for all intensive purposes here, which we'd rather not get into. Sorry for bringing it up. It was just a fact that this was the concern, which forced the design change from Pre-Production car's pedal to the current production one.
Sorry but my PhD would fall off the wall if I did not inform you of the correct grammar. The phrase is "for all intents and and purposes". Wakari masu ka?
DIF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DIF For This Useful Post:
pushrod (04-18-2015)
Old 02-24-2014, 02:21 AM   #30
CrazyWookiee

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You could try giving the Cusco pedal a shot:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4cfX1aocTo"]Cusco Sports Accelerator Pedal FR-S/BRZ/86 Install & Review - YouTube[/ame]

"I'm the real Peter Lau" - Peter Lau
CrazyWookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #31
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Cusco pedal works nicely. Or if you don't care about appearance, pick up one of those cheap pedal from walmart auto section or pepboys, those will work too.
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #32
jonbonazza

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NESW20 View Post
i thought the BRZ i drove was one of the easier cars to heel-toe i've ever driven. pedal placement is more or less perfect to me. different strokes for different folks, i guess.
Yea, my FRS is much easier to heel-toe than my old Audi TT... Not quite on the level of a 1g DSM, but yea. It's fairly easy. Just need to get your foot placement right.
jonbonazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #33
Ramster

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cor10:23 View Post
Give this a shot: given the depth difference between the brake and gas, it's really a more of 'ball of foot' / just above the arch of foot to heel if you really want to get a good portion of the heel on the accelerator.
This is how I've learned to do it.

Also, one thing I noticed is that, at the track, the pedal positions are actually perfect. Under hard braking, both pedals get side by side and heel toe-ing is super easy.

You do have to use more of the "big toe, side of foot" approach, but it works well. Heel toe in every day driving is a little bit trickier since you don't have to brake as hard, so you have to moderate the braking along with how hard you're hitting the accelerator pedal.

Someone in a different thread posted a video of Senna doing the big toe braking.

I agree the shoe you're wearing plays an important role.

[ame]http://youtu.be/kzLjZWrpzmQ[/ame]
Ramster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #34
D88

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've been trying to master this myself but it has me feeling nervous each time I do it because it feels like only a very small portion of my shoe is actually on the brake to the point that it feels like it might slip off. Is this normal?

Edit - In the video posted above, it looks like he rotates his heal outwards a bit. I think I'm attempting to just use the sides of my feet without rotating my heal. That's probably my problem.
D88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #35
Ramster

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D88 View Post
I've been trying to master this myself but it has me feeling nervous each time I do it because it feels like only a very small portion of my shoe is actually on the brake to the point that it feels like it might slip off. Is this normal?

Edit - In the video posted above, it looks like he rotates his heal outwards a bit. I think I'm attempting to just use the sides of my feet without rotating my heal. That's probably my problem.
Yeah it's a little tricky. Ultimately, you kind of have to work out for yourself what works for you. And yes, not much of your shoe is on the pedal, but it's a bit more than you think. And you don't need to get a huge portion of your foot onto the gas pedal either. You just need a small tap to bump the RPMs up enough.
Ramster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ramster For This Useful Post:
D88 (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #36
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Yes, if your foot is too far off the right side of the brake pedal. And should your foot actually slip right off the brake pedal, things will get exciting. You won't like it.

If you survive, I'll bet in the future you'll make a point to keep your foot a wee bit more to the left, more on the brake pedal.

In my BRZ I can readily employ the right side of my forefoot, but in my S2000 I need to pivot my ankle and use more of my heel. Each driver needs to find what works best for him.

You're quite right to focus on this important safety issue. Keep working at it, and you'll get it.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
D88 (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #37
leicaboss
Coffee Snob

Drives: '14 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

I learned a few things while trying to master this technique. Most importantly, you need to concentrate on your braking - that is your priority. Controlling your speed and safety is of greater importance than making your downshift as smooth as possible. Unfortunately, I like wearing low profile shoes and have narrow feet - on top of all that, I am rather inflexible from knee-down.

While it's rather difficult for me to do, I have found that my choice of shoes can help too! Of the bunch, my Vans have been the best due to its relative width, stiffness, and grip on the outer edge of the right shoe. Instead of whipping your right knee out, towards the shifter - try directing the knee towards your other leg, it'll help you get that foot out.

Lastly, too many people drive with improper seat positioning. Many people sit far away from the wheel because it feels more spacious or "looks good". I have found it far easier to control everything when everything is closer to you (to a degree of course). Just play around with your settings and be patient! My highway seating position and more spirited position is only one click on the seat rails away from each other
leicaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to leicaboss For This Useful Post:
D88 (02-24-2014)