follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2016, 02:37 AM   #1
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Newb Question, Can I use Oem wiring for full amplifier?

Looking to upgrade my sound. Saw the thread to buy the Metra harness and repin for small 15A amp.

I want to run a full 500w 4 channel amp. My door speakers take 60w each @2 ohms and the sub I want to add takes 300w @2ohms.

Can I repin the metra harness to power the doors and use an audio sub kit to power the sub? Or would I need better gauge wires for installing the amp instead of the Metra harness?

So to sum up.
  • Amp to stock wiring using 12v acc, left and right doors.
  • Amp thick power to battery.
  • Amp ground to ground somewhere.
  • Amp to sub.

Last edited by YamahaR86; 04-26-2016 at 03:27 AM.
YamahaR86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:29 AM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You'll need a wiring kit for the amp. You'll fry your system trying to add a big amp to stock wiring.
The only thing you need from the the wiring harness is the signal inputs. Unless you add a line converter you can tap into the power from the OEM harness.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
You'll need a wiring kit for the amp. You'll fry your system trying to add a big amp to stock wiring.
The only thing you need from the the wiring harness is the signal inputs. Unless you add a line converter you can tap into the power from the OEM harness.
I read Crutchfield's basic amp install guide and they said

Quote:
You cut each speaker wire from the receiver's harness and reconnect it to a speaker wire coming from the amp. Then, the signal can flow from the amp to the speakers by way of the vehicle's original factory wiring. This technique will work fine in systems with under 75 watts RMS of power per channel — but for more powerful systems it would be better to run new speaker wire directly from the amp to each speaker
Since the 4ch Amp I'm getting is 500w. 300 of that goes to the sub and the doors require 60w per channel. Would it be safe to still use the factory speaker wires?
Old 04-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
im running 90w atm on the factory wires to the doors
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chimera For This Useful Post:
YamahaR86 (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
im running 90w atm on the factory wires to the doors
What equipment are you running?
Amp? Door speakers?

Are you using a sub as well? Got any pictures, really curious since i'm new to carav and been researching for weeks now.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #6
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
I read Crutchfield's basic amp install guide and they said

Since the 4ch Amp I'm getting is 500w. 300 of that goes to the sub and the doors require 60w per channel. Would it be safe to still use the factory speaker wires?
I think the factory speaker wires from amp to door are fine.. but you need a wiring kit from battery to amp for sure like you stated.

First to get the audio signal from the headunit to your new amp, follow the directions here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42239

But instead of using the original power lines, you need to use a kit like the following to run power from the battery to the amp:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050I6KII/"]Amazon.com: KnuKonceptz KCA Complete 4 Gauge Amp Installation Kit: Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]

And you can just ground to any part of the bare chassis, easy to find spots once you lift the carpet in the trunk.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #7
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
What equipment are you running?
Amp? Door speakers?

Are you using a sub as well? Got any pictures, really curious since i'm new to carav and been researching for weeks now.
I am running a ktp 445u bridged powering alpine spr 60c
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chimera For This Useful Post:
YamahaR86 (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 06:29 PM   #8
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
I think the factory speaker wires from amp to door are fine.. but you need a wiring kit from battery to amp for sure like you stated.

First to get the audio signal from the headunit to your new amp, follow the directions here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42239

But instead of using the original power lines, you need to use a kit like the following to run power from the battery to the amp:
Amazon.com: KnuKonceptz KCA Complete 4 Gauge Amp Installation Kit: Cell Phones & Accessories

And you can just ground to any part of the bare chassis, easy to find spots once you lift the carpet in the trunk.
Yeah, exactly what I was thinking to do since the amp has wayy more power it needs the line from the battery.

So I can just get the Metra harness, repin it, connect it to the amp and connect that to the OEM Factory Wiring. Leaving out the power wire/ground?

What about the remote wire, would that have enough power in the pin harness like the stock amp or would I have to run it to the back of the head unit?
Old 04-26-2016, 09:18 PM   #9
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, exactly what I was thinking to do since the amp has wayy more power it needs the line from the battery.

So I can just get the Metra harness, repin it, connect it to the amp and connect that to the OEM Factory Wiring. Leaving out the power wire/ground?

What about the remote wire, would that have enough power in the pin harness like the stock amp or would I have to run it to the back of the head unit?
Yeah, that would work. Remote wire would be fine. As long as your completely bypassing the stock amp, I see no problem using the OEM speaker wire harness.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:50 PM   #10
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Yeah, that would work. Remote wire would be fine. As long as your completely bypassing the stock amp, I see no problem using the OEM speaker wire harness.
Going to be taking out the stock amp (it could come out right? Nothing I'm aware of is being connected to it).

I drew up a horrible diagram of what I'm going to do. Lastly, is 8 gauge good enough? And 14 AWG speaker wire.

This KnuKonceptz Kit here
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #11
sly

Drives: 2016 Cosworth 2.2 BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Crutchfield has a chart showing the recommended power wire size. Add up the amperage of all the fuses in your system and measure the length of the wire you will need. You'll find the recommended gauge on the chart. If you undersize your wire, your lights will dim when the bass hits (voltage drop).

I know others say it will be ok, but I don't recommend using the factory speaker wiring if you can help it. It will not be dangerous to use the factory wiring, but it will probably not sound the best. This is for the same reason as undersizing a power wire; voltage drop. I don't know the exact size of the wires in the BRZ yet, but in my WRX the wires were something like 22 gauge. They were extremely small. They will probably not be able to handle the demand on certain bass hits and will make the sound weak in the bottom end if you use the factory wiring. I would recommend 14 gauge for the speakers and possibly 12 gauge for the subs. If your lights dim then that's an indication that your wires are too small. It's better to oversize if you can.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #12
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post

Crutchfield has a chart showing the recommended power wire size. Add up the amperage of all the fuses in your system and measure the length of the wire you will need. You'll find the recommended gauge on the chart. If you undersize your wire, your lights will dim when the bass hits (voltage drop).

I know others say it will be ok, but I don't recommend using the factory speaker wiring if you can help it. It will not be dangerous to use the factory wiring, but it will probably not sound the best. This is for the same reason as undersizing a power wire; voltage drop. I don't know the exact size of the wires in the BRZ yet, but in my WRX the wires were something like 22 gauge. They were extremely small. They will probably not be able to handle the demand on certain bass hits and will make the sound weak in the bottom end if you use the factory wiring. I would recommend 14 gauge for the speakers and possibly 12 gauge for the subs. If your lights dim then that's an indication that your wires are too small. It's better to oversize if you can.
I just went with a basic 4 gauge CCA instead. I'm only going to be pushing 60w through the doors and putting a hi pass filter on them. For the sub, a low pass filter so I think it should be fine so I'm not putting extreme power through them.

Just researched a bit more last night about voltage drops and lights dimming. A "Big 3" upgrade helps and could fix that.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:52 AM   #13
sly

Drives: 2016 Cosworth 2.2 BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Just researched a bit more last night about voltage drops and lights dimming. A "Big 3" upgrade helps and could fix that.
Quote:
A good, cost-effective improvement is to perform the "Big Three" electrical upgrade. This will vastly improve your vehicle's electrical system, allowing more current to flow easier to all components. This upgrade replaces or augments three key cables in the electrical system with 1/0 or 4 gauge wires: the battery ground to chassis wire, the chassis to engine block wire, and the alternator plus to battery plus wire. This increases your electrical system's current flow capability, ensuring a more consistent voltage under varying demand conditions.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-61wI2zK...power_ups.html

For those unfamiliar with it.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote