follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #183
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
unless you have all of the honda emission systems, wiring harness, ecu, cluster, etc swapped into the car and fully functioning. with an obd2 port that reads the frs/brz vin somehow and has all readiness monitors set as passed, there's no other way. not without doing a bunch of illegal stuff. its way easier to just register the car in another state.
@spitfire481
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spitfire481 For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (03-19-2019), wparsons (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #184
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0sl0w View Post
I'm not trying to fool it, I'm trying to get it functional enough to work for the purpose of state mandated OBD2 testing on MY96+ vehicles.

Your other statement doesn't even merit anything more than an acknowledgement that it was made and it was pointless.

Again, completely aware that a standalone won't work, which is why it's incredibly odd to me that it's being hailed as "The SOLUTION" to all our swap ills when it's very clearly not. It's just a really expensive motorsports solution that works well for motorsports. I don't want a track only car, I want a BRZ with a K24 that I can use just like I use my BRZ now.

Has anyone done ANY swap that will pass an OBD2 inspection test?
Well i like to call those solutions "49 state cars" lol. Anyways, To legally swap something like that it would be highly unlikely. IF you can get through all the hoops with emissions, and the ODB2 stuff then that would be a big accomplishment. What version of the K24 engine did you want to insert into your car?
Old 03-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #185
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Then this part alone will be the hardest part of getting it certified. I don't see any DOT official being happy about looking at YOUR laptop to "prove" everything is running like a stock car. HOWEVER, using a Honda computer with the MRS adapter might work. Or alternatively you could use a Honda computer and harness, forego CAN integration and either mod a Honda cluster or use aftermarket gauges.
@s0sl0w

One of my thoughts has been to get a complete harness and all from a K Honda and literally swap everything wiring related over. Basically install a Honda in a BRZ and then reprogram the VIN on the Honda ECU to reflect the BRZ VIN. This is honestly the leading idea right now because even on the CAN integrated GM ECU cars I'm not seeing any mention of OBD2 being functional in a state inspections sense of the word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire481 View Post
unless you have all of the honda emission systems, wiring harness, ecu, cluster, etc swapped into the car and fully functioning. with an obd2 port that reads the frs/brz vin somehow and has all readiness monitors set as passed, there's no other way. not without doing a bunch of illegal stuff. its way easier to just register the car in another state.

It's also illegal and impractical. I don't need illegal or questionable sitting on the side of the road at 5 am when I've been binned for speeding. I just want to get my ticket and go, not play fun games about whether or not a $100 ticket is about to turn into a $500+ nightmare.

Just so I understand you correctly: You're not currently interested or capable of providing a properly road legal swap solution for the BRZ, correct?

If that is the case I will step out of this thread with my OBD2 stuff. I definitely want this swap as it's the first swap that improves most of the kinetics of the car without costing 3x what the car did. It just has to be inspectable.
s0sl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:07 PM   #186
geraldjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire481 View Post
Well it doesn't need to read the chassis vin but it does need to read the engine VIN for it to get approved by a reff. This reminds me of the porsche ruf cars. They have two obd2 ports. One for the engine and one for the rest of the car. They are legal in CA but you need to make sure they scan the right one if not you will fail a inspection
Old 03-19-2019, 02:12 PM   #187
geraldjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0sl0w View Post
One of my thoughts has been to get a complete harness and all from a K Honda and literally swap everything wiring related over. Basically install a Honda in a BRZ and then reprogram the VIN on the Honda ECU to reflect the BRZ VIN. This is honestly the leading idea right now because even on the CAN integrated GM ECU cars I'm not seeing any mention of OBD2 being functional in a state inspections sense of the word.

It's also illegal and impractical. I don't need illegal or questionable sitting on the side of the road at 5 am when I've been binned for speeding. I just want to get my ticket and go, not play fun games about whether or not a $100 ticket is about to turn into a $500+ nightmare.

Just so I understand you correctly: You're not currently interested or capable of providing a properly road legal swap solution for the BRZ, correct?

If that is the case I will step out of this thread with my OBD2 stuff. I definitely want this swap as it's the first swap that improves most of the kinetics of the car without costing 3x what the car did. It just has to be inspectable.
I find it hard to believe that you can find anyone that can do a k24 swap legally. The LS3 maybe.. BUT with anything is possible with enough money, time and engineering power to make a legal swap.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #188
spitfire481

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldjust View Post
Well it doesn't need to read the chassis vin but it does need to read the engine VIN for it to get approved by a reff. This reminds me of the porsche ruf cars. They have two obd2 ports. One for the engine and one for the rest of the car. They are legal in CA but you need to make sure they scan the right one if not you will fail a inspection
crazy, in MD they pull the vin during the scan and compare. Im not sure how similar it would be in MD, but I would assume if you can do it in CA, it can be done in any state lol.
@spitfire481
Old 03-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #189
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm not sure that there headers would need to be unmodified, but the cats will have to be intact. Might have to use a CARB certified header and try to modify that just enough to make it work? I think so long as you don't mess with the cat or the visible part of the tube above the cat you should be ok there. ECU, I dunno. You could argue that it's an integral part of the emissions system but really (for example) if you flashed a new tune on your stock ECU it's not really the same anymore so I don't see a reason you can't use an after market ECU so long as your tune is clean. I find it hard to believe anyone will look at the ECU itself to check if it's OEM if you pass the sniff test.
For the inspector to sign off, the header has to be a CARB certified header, and I don't think any exist because the headers have a precat. The header would need to have gone through the expensive approval process, and in the end, how much power would the car make as a difference? High flow cats don't count.

Now on our car there is the downpipe and header that has a cat, but the mid pipe doesn't, so that MAYBE could get modified for fitment with a slap on the wrist or look of :-/ "but I'll let that one go" by the ref. Likely, anything from intake to the last cat needs a CARB sticker or be stock or unmodified (period).

The ECU could be hidden enough to fly, but there needs to be an OBDII port that can be checked for being in a ready state, so everything has to work, and also not visually fail.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #190
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldjust View Post
I find it hard to believe that you can find anyone that can do a k24 swap legally. The LS3 maybe.. BUT with anything is possible with enough money, time and engineering power to make a legal swap.

*Technically* you could do it legally-ish now, or at least as legal as most any other modification is. MD (most other states have the same allowance) will let you fail the inspection and if you've payed $450 in repairs to get it to pass inspection and it won't you can apply for a waiver.

So in a registerable and "drive it down the road with no issues" sense, legal. Provided you've kept a cat on the car (which I will) you're not doing anything that can't be easily defended at a federal level as well. Also no insurance and registration BS which is a major issue with just registering the car elsewhere. That's easily construed as or just considered fraud if anything ever happens.

Problem is you're paying ~$500 every two years for smog and there's no guarantee that the state will issue waivers for a car indefinitely.

I'll stop hi-jacking this thread but I'm going to figure this shit out.
s0sl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #191
spitfire481

Also, our swap is road legal. depending on where the car is registered. The hoops we would have to jump through, if even possible would drive the cost up well beyond what it is now. Just not worth it in the end. The guys on this forum doing the carb legal LS swaps are going through enough headaches, and that's doing the R&D on their own time and dime.
@spitfire481
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spitfire481 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (03-19-2019), wparsons (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #192
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
This swap has me droolin...

Are you guys going with a K20A or K20A2 head?
I don't know if they are doing a build for power potential or just for fitment. They might just have a stock K24 in there.

And for you or those who are curious...

It says on their website that their mounts are for the K24, but that the K20 block could work, but they aren't sure. They suggest adding a K20 head to a K24, if you want a different profile or the performance oriented head.

The K24 is cheap compared to a K20A, while offering more benefits because of displacement and perhaps an argument could be made for boosting because of the lower compression, so I think that is why this kit is made around that setup versus a higher compression and more expensive K20 performance series engine.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #193
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
For the inspector to sign off, the header has to be a CARB certified header, and I don't think any exist because the headers have a precat. The header would need to have gone through the expensive approval process, and in the end, how much power would the car make as a difference? High flow cats don't count.

Now on our car there is the downpipe and header that has a cat, but the mid pipe doesn't, so that MAYBE could get modified for fitment with a slap on the wrist or look of :-/ "but I'll let that one go" by the ref. Likely, anything from intake to the last cat needs a CARB sticker or be stock or unmodified (period).

The ECU could be hidden enough to fly, but there needs to be an OBDII port that can be checked for being in a ready state, so everything has to work, and also not visually fail.
I'm certain there are carb legal headers, just maybe not ones that will fit well. Now if you cut the end off and weld a new flange and recoat the header, will they ever know?
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #194
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I'm certain there are carb legal headers, just maybe not ones that will fit well. Now if you cut the end off and weld a new flange and recoat the header, will they ever know?

The problem is that the K24 only came in FWD transverse orientation, so any CARB legal headers for it (if any exist) will have the exhaust coming out the front right wheel.

And I'm not positive, but wouldn't you need a CARB legal header for the chassis, not the engine? I thought the CARB approvals were for a given car, not just global for any car.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:01 PM   #195
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
The problem is that the K24 only came in FWD transverse orientation, so any CARB legal headers for it (if any exist) will have the exhaust coming out the front right wheel.

And I'm not positive, but wouldn't you need a CARB legal header for the chassis, not the engine? I thought the CARB approvals were for a given car, not just global for any car.
You make a good point. I'm not sure. I'm not sure how they are shaped either. Might just point down, then you'd just have to make a 90 degree elbow
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #196
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
You make a good point. I'm not sure. I'm not sure how they are shaped either. Might just point down, then you'd just have to make a 90 degree elbow

Nah, they look like this, no elbow in the world will help