follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #29
MaximS

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampas_avy View Post
Hey folks, buried in news articles about Ontario changing licence plate slogan is a statement that they are considering eliminating front licence plate. Regardless of your feelings about our Ontario government, you gotta love the idea of no more front plate!
MaximS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaximS For This Useful Post:
Cheeky (04-05-2019), SLVRSRFR (04-04-2019), Turbo (04-06-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 04:43 PM   #30
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ Guy View Post
I agree, I’m used to the front plates, I don’t even notice them.

However I hate them relocated to the side, where they then stick out to me and an eyesore.
I agree. I personally don't think it suits the 86 platform. It looks good on some cars, however, like the new Lexus IS or Lancer Evo X.

I think the other reason I don't like it is because it's so ubiquitous, especially in Ontario. You go to an 86-centric meet in the GTA these days and pretty much EVERY car has the same generic plate relocate, to the point where it's not even unique anymore.

No offence intended towards anyone, of course! To each their own.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:52 PM   #31
SLVRSRFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximS View Post
That's fucking priceless. Wish I had that image back in my message-board-frequenting days of the early '00s

Old 04-04-2019, 04:56 PM   #32
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,126 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
I agree. I personally don't think it suits the 86 platform. It looks good on some cars, however, like the new Lexus IS or Lancer Evo X.

I think the other reason I don't like it is because it's so ubiquitous, especially in Ontario. You go to an 86-centric meet in the GTA these days and pretty much EVERY car has the same generic plate relocate, to the point where it's not even unique anymore.

No offence intended towards anyone, of course! To each their own.
I would think most people do it to avoid screws holes in the bumper cover.

Personally speaking that is why I did it anyways. I agree it doesn't look any better mounted on the tow hook.
The magnetic option seems feasible too, I just don't like the idea of the plate not being hard mounted.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:49 AM   #33
James H

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Not sure if you can pull it off on the BRZ, but I've got mine mounted using the factory mount but positioned lower and not screwed into the bumper. Instead I used a longer bolt and big washers to hold it to the grille.

You can kinda see it here:

I did that in my Celica back in the 90s but I found that the water temperature started to creep up noticeably. (the needle went up a few increments higher). Figured it was because the plate was blocking the radiator. Do you notice any difference with this setup?
James H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #34
FRStevan

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
I've been driving without a front plate since last August and I haven't been pulled over yet. I've been behind, face to face and in traffic with cops and nothing yet. Finger crossed.
FRStevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #35
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/04/...icence-plates/

HMMMMMMMMMMMM?¿
Old 04-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #36
SLVRSRFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
I would think most people do it to avoid screws holes in the bumper cover.

Personally speaking that is why I did it anyways. I agree it doesn't look any better mounted on the tow hook.
The magnetic option seems feasible too, I just don't like the idea of the plate not being hard mounted.
Good point, but then I also see a lot of cars that have existing bolt holes and have still relocated their plate and not filled in the holes afterwards...

Us BRZ owners are kind of lucky that our OEM plate bracket mounts on the black plastic "moustache" on the front bumper, so the holes are not really visible after removing the bracket.

I removed my entire plate bracket and zip-tied my plate to the lower grille, so it's closer to the ground. It cleans up the front and actually kind of tricks your eyes into making the car look lower.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #37
SLVRSRFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRStevan View Post
I've been driving without a front plate since last August and I haven't been pulled over yet. I've been behind, face to face and in traffic with cops and nothing yet. Finger crossed.
It will happen eventually. I was driving around for about 6 months with my plate on my dash, and got pulled over while passing the scene of an accident because the cop spotted my plate on my dash as soon as I crested the hill coming towards him. He was on foot and waved me over.

Luckily he just let me off with a warning.

Happened once in my 335i as well, which I had a plate relocate on, but the screw had come loose and I didn't want the whole thing to fall off the car, so I tossed it in the trunk and just forgot about it. Again I was let off with a warning, but both cops said they'd ticket me if they saw me driving again with no plate on the front.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #38
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Tow hook plate isn't supposed to look unique. It's the same mount point for everyone.
Keeps the front fascia from being screwed.

Messing with others' OCD is only a beneficial side effect.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
SLVRSRFR (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #39
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It will happen eventually. I was driving around for about 6 months with my plate on my dash, and got pulled over while passing the scene of an accident because the cop spotted my plate on my dash as soon as I crested the hill coming towards him. He was on foot and waved me over.

Luckily he just let me off with a warning.

Happened once in my 335i as well, which I had a plate relocate on, but the screw had come loose and I didn't want the whole thing to fall off the car, so I tossed it in the trunk and just forgot about it. Again I was let off with a warning, but both cops said they'd ticket me if they saw me driving again with no plate on the front.
Did you have a death wish? lol. Front plate on your dash in an accident.. I could only imagine if that sharp metal happened to get thrown at your face or a passengers face.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Turbo (04-06-2019), wparsons (04-06-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #40
James H

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Did you have a death wish? lol. Front plate on your dash in an accident.. I could only imagine if that sharp metal happened to get thrown at your face or a passengers face.

It's a demonstration of your love and devotion to your car. You sacrifice your face to save the car's bumper from being drilled! Still infinitely superior to those who hang CD on their rearview mirror. In those cases, you get CD shrapnel stuck in your face in an accident for no purpose whatsoever.
James H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #41
SLVRSRFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Short answer; yes.

LOL just kidding. I mean you're not wrong, and I won't defend it. Wasn't the smartest idea, I'll admit. I had the plate in a plastic plate frame if that helps, which would have hopefully dulled the edges if such a thing were to happen...

Luckily it didn't LOL but I agree with you and I now firmly recommend AGAINST anyone putting their plate on their dash for that very reason.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:39 PM   #42
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,126 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Good point, but then I also see a lot of cars that have existing bolt holes and have still relocated their plate and not filled in the holes afterwards...

Us BRZ owners are kind of lucky that our OEM plate bracket mounts on the black plastic "moustache" on the front bumper, so the holes are not really visible after removing the bracket.

I removed my entire plate bracket and zip-tied my plate to the lower grille, so it's closer to the ground. It cleans up the front and actually kind of tricks your eyes into making the car look lower.
My 86 has the same black trim below the painted bumper. That's where my dealer screwed into fortunately, which is replaceable.

I didn't like how it blocked a good portion of venting to the radiator. Does moving it make a difference? Who knows, but it gave me piece of mind when tracking.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
SLVRSRFR (04-05-2019)