follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 12-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #491
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Drives: 14 FRS K24 swap - SOLD
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'd like to say I got it all bolted up and got to hear it run last night but I ran into a handful of tedious snags. The first snag was trans tunnel clearance. The guide provided is really light on details for where and how much to hammer other than one picture, so I was a bit surprised to see my trans bracket wasn't lining up. After pulling the engine and trans mostly back out 3 times to cut and hammer for clearance, I finally got enough space for things to have some breathing room. This took up probably at least an hour or more of troubleshooting and being a sissy about how much I wanted to cut or hammer.

So fair warning. Hammer time at the top area of the trans area hard. I wonder if that's a source of Ebush's vibration. You can get the trans to fit with lighter hammering but it needs clearance to move under load so if it's really tight maybe it's touching?

The tip about unbolting the sway bar was gold. I left it attached at the links and just let it hang after unbolting the lower brackets and unclipping the plastic trim. Stock sway bar has plenty of room near flywheel, but I can see why aftermarket ones are tighter.

My oil plug is in a great place with no obstructions.

Also the tip about bolting the front pipe on before installing the header was nice. It slid into place without any issues and bolted right up. The bracket that bolts to the back of the trans is kind wonky on fitment. Seems a bit scrunched up instead of in tension. I'll keep an eye on it.

I'm sure most seasoned folks probably would do this anyway, but use a jack at the tail of the trans to help install. Even my load leveler was struggling to get the right angles, but this seemed to make enough difference to get things to line up.

Also remove your full crash beam for extra space. The reach needed to get the engine mounts to seat is kinda crazy.

One last thing. There's two short bolts in the bellhousing adapter kit that don't have a purpose. Or at least I can't figure out what they could possibly be for.

Also there's 4 extra nylock nuts left over from the trans bracket kit.

So maybe my shit is going to fall apart because of some mystery bolts and nuts?

Tonight I'm going to tackle wiring and other gibberish. Had issues with my trans fluid filler plug. Stripped the hex head and had to replace it from a spare diff plug. Pumping was a mess. Etc. etc. I need nap.
captain awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to captain awesome For This Useful Post:
endless_pain (12-01-2021), hedtrip (12-01-2021), Irace86.2.0 (12-01-2021), RedReplicant (03-19-2022)
Old 12-01-2021, 11:40 AM   #492
hedtrip

Drives: 2013 toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
hell yeah congrats on getting in & started.
I will be keeping your tips in mind. My new engine should be in today
hedtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:52 AM   #493
Ebush

Drives: 2017 Hot Lava 86
I ended up with a good amount of extra bolts and nuts as well, but my car drives so I guess I’m good. Also noticed the two threaded holes on the trans adapter,
It exactly sure why they are there. My trans is pretty close to the passenger side, I don’t believe the trans could have enough movement to actually hit it though.
Ebush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:57 AM   #494
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebush View Post
I ended up with a good amount of extra bolts and nuts as well, but my car drives so I guess I’m good. Also noticed the two threaded holes on the trans adapter,
It exactly sure why they are there. My trans is pretty close to the passenger side, I don’t believe the trans could have enough movement to actually hit it though.

I thought it was a bit odd they didn't use one of the bolt holes at the top left of the bellhousing. It's the one by the starter. From what I could tell there's nothing it would contact.

The Following User Says Thank You to captain awesome For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 11:58 AM   #495
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Also for those curious about trans clearance. It's a shitty pic but it's a pic nonetheless.

Irace86.2.0 (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 02:14 PM   #496
Ebush

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
Also for those curious about trans clearance. It's a shitty pic but it's a pic nonetheless.
Hey it’s still a better pic than what we were shown in the manual. I’m starting to think that maybe my trans is touching the chassis, dealing with a lot of knock which I wouldn’t think I should have. My engines exactly the same as what kpower used other than 550cc injectors and a non dampened crank pulley. I know the crank pulley could be causing some extra vibrations in the engine. I probably just need to adjust the knock detection within Haltech.

I’ve been letting the ECU learn LTFT and then applying what it learned to the base map and AFR’s are looking great, just gotta keep playing with the knock. Been afraid to go higher than 5k due to the knock but I’ll figure it out, most likely just background noise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ebush For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 02:30 PM   #497
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebush View Post
Hey it’s still a better pic than what we were shown in the manual. I’m starting to think that maybe my trans is touching the chassis, dealing with a lot of knock which I wouldn’t think I should have. My engines exactly the same as what kpower used other than 550cc injectors and a non dampened crank pulley. I know the crank pulley could be causing some extra vibrations in the engine. I probably just need to adjust the knock detection within Haltech.

I’ve been letting the ECU learn LTFT and then applying what it learned to the base map and AFR’s are looking great, just gotta keep playing with the knock. Been afraid to go higher than 5k due to the knock but I’ll figure it out, most likely just background noise.

Another thing I noticed last night that might be worth checking is oil pan clearance on the passenger side over the subframe. Not much room for activities there. I'm not sure how much these mounts allow for movement but it could be enough?
Irace86.2.0 (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 10:19 PM   #498
brzlegend

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

If any of the engine, transmission touches the body your going to either have to wear earplugs or make more clearance, hopefully that doesn't require pulling it all back out. The noise is pretty much unbearable when it hits. Drone times 10.
The engine and transmission will move under power or deceleration.

Most effective and easiest to fix the picture would be to cut a slit out of the sides push it or hammer it closed then weld it back.

Last edited by brzlegend; 12-02-2021 at 02:59 PM.
brzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brzlegend For This Useful Post:
captain awesome (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 02:21 AM   #499
Ebush

To continue on the topic of the trans touching the chassis, I got under my car today and it was in fact touching the chassis. It must have moved over a bit when I loosened everything up to install the new oil drain bolt. I was able to loosen up all the mounting bolts and use a pry bar to shift the trans a little to the driver side. This helped out a bunch with my knock issue and the vibrations in the chassis. I’m still having a little bit, I think the trans might be hitting up higher where I can’t see, and can’t get to without pulling everything.

I’ve now put about 120 miles on the car and all seems to be great. Was a bit wet out today so I wasn’t able to do anything too crazy. I did get the car up to atleast 7k and it’s for sure quicker than an fa20 with all the na goodies + e85.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ebush For This Useful Post:
captain awesome (12-02-2021), endless_pain (12-02-2021), Irace86.2.0 (12-02-2021), ML (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 09:00 AM   #500
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzlegend View Post
If any of the engine, transmission touches the body your going to either have to wear earplugs or make more clearance, hopefully that doesn't require pulling it all back out. The noise is pretty much unbearable when it hits. Drone times 10.
The engine and transmission will move under power or deceleration.

Most effective and easiest to fix the picture would be to cut a slit out of the sides push it or hammer it closed then weld it closed.

That pic was before I added more clearance. I wanna say it's about a 1/2" or a hair under of space between them now. I'll probably slide under the car and have someone rev it up a bit to see how much it moves. Hope it's all good cause pulling it out far enough to hammer more would suck. A lot. It's also a really poor perspective as well as it's tough to get good lighting and have room for selfies.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:38 AM   #501
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Can anyone do some tower brace measuring for me? I set a level and a bar on top of the oil cap to see how high the valve cover is from the strut top surface. I have 3 1/4" to be flush with the oil cap so would need another 1/4" or more depending on how much the engine mounts move.

Also it seems weird this sensor does not have a connector with the Kpower harness and not mentioned in the guide.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captain awesome For This Useful Post:
endless_pain (12-06-2021), Irace86.2.0 (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 09:47 AM   #502
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,129 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Can anyone do some tower brace measuring for me? I set a level and a bar on top of the oil cap to see how high the valve cover is from the strut top surface. I have 3 1/4" to be flush with the oil cap so would need another 1/4" or more depending on how much the engine mounts move.

Also it seems weird this sensor does not have a connector with the Kpower harness and not mentioned in the guide.

I thought the same thing about that connector but it is just an on/off oil pressure switch and not needed for the VTEC solenoid to operate.

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ML For This Useful Post:
captain awesome (12-02-2021), endless_pain (12-06-2021), Irace86.2.0 (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 09:50 AM   #503
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
I thought the same thing about that connector but it is just an on/off oil pressure switch and not needed for the VTEC solenoid to operate.

Don't know if I can trust you. You lied about A/c once, what's next oil sensors.....?
DustinS (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 09:59 AM   #504
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,129 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Don't know if I can trust you. You lied about A/c once, what's next oil sensors.....?
oil switches! lol

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ML For This Useful Post:
captain awesome (12-02-2021), DustinS (12-02-2021)