follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2018, 11:08 PM   #113
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Evening All,

Just received/installed this catback and the exhaust itself looks great and was well packed. Install was easy until I finished up and noticed that the passenger's side tip was very mis-aligned. I took the entire exhaust back off the car twice, adding one piece back into the mix at a time and I'm still unable to get the passenger's side to sit properly. The tip is just a few millimetres from touching the plastic bumper cutout, while the driver's side sits perfectly in the middle of the cutout.

Here is the passenger side:

Even with all of the piping disconnected (and the muffler just sitting on hangers) i have to put a substantial amount of downward force on the front right hanger to get the exhaust to sit properly -- so it appears to be an issue with where the hangers were welded onto the muffler. I've messaged CSG on this.

I should note that i'm running a UEL catless header with stock front pipe and overpipe.

I wouldn't normally care too much about a misalignment of the tips, but for $869 I really want things to be right.

Last edited by ajcarson11; 03-20-2018 at 07:57 AM.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:23 AM   #114
JoeeStacks

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
Evening All,

Just received/installed this catback and the exhaust itself looks great and was well packed. Install was easy until I finished up and noticed that the passenger's side tip was very mis-aligned. I took the entire exhaust back off the car twice, adding one piece back into the mix at a time and I'm still unable to get the passenger's side to sit properly. The tip is just a few millimetres from touching the plastic bumper cutout, while the driver's side sits perfectly in the middle of the cutout.

Here is the passenger side:

Even with all of the piping disconnected (and the muffler just sitting on hangers) i have to put a substantial amount of downward force on the front right hanger to get the exhaust to sit properly -- so it appears to be an issue with where the hangers were welded onto the muffler. I've messaged CSG on this.

I should note that i'm running a UEL catless header with stock front pipe and midpipe.

I wouldn't normally care too much about a misalignment of the tips, but for $869 I really want things to be right.
I don’t have this exhaust, but it looks like there is a pipe that you could twist to make it align properly. A common alignment problem on the Perrin exhausts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
Slip joints used to make the fitment dead on. Some cars have different bumpers and not all of them fit perfectly. This exhaust allows the adjustments at multiple points to make the exhaust fit "perfectly" given a specific vehicle.
JoeeStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #115
ajcarson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeeStacks View Post
I don’t have this exhaust, but it looks like there is a pipe that you could twist to make it align properly. A common alignment problem on the Perrin exhausts.
Thanke Joe -- I've just read through the Perrin installation instructions, and all of the threads I can find on Perrin alignment. A common theme that I see with the perrin alignment is that folks can get things to line up when there is no pressure on the muffler (meaning that all clamps are loose).

Even with the muffler just hanging (with no other piping connected to it) I have to put a lot of force on the muffler (stretching the rubber hangers) to get the passenger side close to correct fitment. I'll play with it more today, but i'm not sure how the piping could even put enough pressure on the muffler to correct this (I have to put some muscle into pulling down on the muffler while laying under it to get it close to correct).

EDIT: I'm also going to try just removing the front right rubber hanger completely. That may help as it seems to be the one that needs the most stretching to make things fit properly.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #116
Jesse36m3

Drives: JDL Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
That's funny. I just got an MXP Comp RS exhaust a couple months ago and the passenger side was misaligned by a LOT. I mean it was almost touching the exhaust hole cutout in the bumper. Ordered it from 86speed .. had to bring it to a muffler shop because I don't have a torch. They heated it up and bent it back into place then reimbursed me the hour labor.

Edit: I know it's not the exact same exhaust, however, it was manufactured by the same company.
Jesse36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #117
ajcarson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse36m3 View Post
That's funny. I just got an MXP Comp RS exhaust a couple months ago and the passenger side was misaligned by a LOT. I mean it was almost touching the exhaust hole cutout in the bumper. Ordered it from 86speed .. had to bring it to a muffler shop because I don't have a torch. They heated it up and bent it back into place then reimbursed me the hour labor.

Edit: I know it's not the exact same exhaust, however, it was manufactured by the same company.
Thanks Jesse -- I don't know for sure yet, but I'm going to guess I may be in the same boat. The passenger side is just a millimeter or two from touching the exhaust hole cutout.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:21 AM   #118
Kordless

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Hi aj, I have this same exact exhaust and mine fits fine.

There are 14mm (I believe) bolts on top of each of the tips. You can loosen those and you can adjust the tips until they fit perfectly. Don't forget to torque to 30 ft/lb

If that isn't the problem, try adjusting the clamps on the right hand side of the exhaust.

But if it's truly an issue with the hanger, none of these will work.

2013 Subaru BRZ - SOLD

Instagram - @uwuboiz
Kordless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kordless For This Useful Post:
ajcarson11 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #119
ajcarson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kordless View Post
Hi aj, I have this same exact exhaust and mine fits fine.

There are 14mm (I believe) bolts on top of each of the tips. You can loosen those and you can adjust the tips until they fit perfectly. Don't forget to torque to 30 ft/lb

If that isn't the problem, try adjusting the clamps on the right hand side of the exhaust.

But if it's truly an issue with the hanger, none of these will work.
Thanks! I did try adjusting the tips.. not much improvement.

When you say 'clamps on the right hand side of the exhaust' what are you referring to? Did the kit come with hanger clamps (to allow extra positioning of the rubber hangers)?
Old 03-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #120
Kordless

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Thanks! I did try adjusting the tips.. not much improvement.

When you say 'clamps on the right hand side of the exhaust' what are you referring to? Did the kit come with hanger clamps (to allow extra positioning of the rubber hangers)?
It's been a while since I've installed mine, I meant this clamp here:

2013 Subaru BRZ - SOLD

Instagram - @uwuboiz
Kordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #121
coxxoc

Drives: BRZ
I also have this exhaust and have the same issue with the passenger side fitment as ajcarson11. I wrote it off as being a cheaper exhaust that sound great. It was only 70% of the price of the Apexi RS Evo Extreme it replaced and the quality of finish shows that. I wanted this exhaust to stop the bark at startup and rasp during WOT I experienced with the Apexi unit. Objective accomplished.

I'll have a muffler shop adjust the hanger position on the passenger side. It is a simple cut and weld fix. Minor adjustments/modifications are par for the course in automotive aftermarket. I'm very happy with the system overall.
coxxoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #122
ajcarson11

Here are some more photos of the situation. I took a look under the car again at it today -- All things considered I believe it to be a hanger misalignment. I removed one hanger and it didn't make any difference -- So i'd imagine at least 2 hangers have to move.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:33 PM   #123
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse36m3 View Post

We worked with MXP on this and the muffler is developed completely different from all their other systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxxoc View Post
I also have this exhaust and have the same issue with the passenger side fitment as ajcarson11. I wrote it off as being a cheaper exhaust that sound great. It was only 70% of the price of the Apexi RS Evo Extreme it replaced and the quality of finish shows that. I wanted this exhaust to stop the bark at startup and rasp during WOT I experienced with the Apexi unit. Objective accomplished.

I'll have a muffler shop adjust the hanger position on the passenger side. It is a simple cut and weld fix. Minor adjustments/modifications are par for the course in automotive aftermarket. I'm very happy with the system overall.
Send me some photos at david@counterspacegarage.com. I'm interested in collecting this information. Thank you!
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #124
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Here are some more photos of the situation. I took a look under the car again at it today -- All things considered I believe it to be a hanger misalignment. I removed one hanger and it didn't make any difference -- So i'd imagine at least 2 hangers have to move.

Please send to my e-mail at david@counterspacegarage.com. I had a look on our messages and something is not right. Thank you for your patience and cooperation!
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #125
ajcarson11

Quote:
Please send to my e-mail at david@counterspacegarage.com. I had a look on our messages and something is not right. Thank you for your patience and cooperation!
Sent. Thanks David.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #126
coxxoc

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Send me some photos at david@counterspacegarage.com. I'm interested in collecting this information. Thank you!
Done. Thanks for taking the time to provide ongoing support of the platform and your products.
coxxoc is offline   Reply With Quote